Dogs the team to beat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I like what the bulldogs are doing this year. Dessie has them playing very Manly like - great teamwork, few showponies, and a team that builds pressure and doesn't panic.

I actually find them reasonably entertaining to watch.

In fact the ONLY teams worth watching this year are Manly, Bulldogs, Parramatta, Warriors, and the Cowboys. Perhaps Melbourne and Souths when they are on but they can be awful too. The rest I can't watch any more - all the same.

NYEagle

Killer03 said:
Top 4 team for sure. But I agree about a lack of x-factor. Their backline whilst serviceable and solid doesn't have the zing of others. The other thing now could be instead of the Roosters being decimated by origin it might be the Dogs? Instead of Cordner, Pearce, Maloney, Jennings Tupou. You might see Hodkinson, Reynolds, Morris, T-Dud, Jackson.

And just on the Roosters, they need to get on their bike and do some serious peddling. That loss against the Cows was atrocious. The cows played well, and Pearce missing didn't help, but Pearce missing doesn't mean you leak 42 points.

I think if - grub josh , dogkinson , morris get selected the scumdogs will scrape in the top 8.. t-rex & jackson selected it will make it very hard.. During that origin period i cant see them winning many games

NOT SUCH A BAD RESULT...

Dogs are looking strong. Don't be fooled by the close wins they have had, they have applied controlled pressure in order to pinch those games. Most of their players had a taste of grand final defeat 2 years ago and they won't lack motivation or confidence. At this stage I rate them a bigger threat than Roosters or Souths.

And all is not lost.

There's still ample time for the Dogs to falter, lose momentum and drop games, especially through the Origin period.

The more Dogs in the NSW side the merrier.

Trex is an Origin Player. He will stop performing once the Origin selection period is over :cool:

Manly will win the comp in 2014, as the first leg of 2v's Back to Back Campaign :angel:
(Apologies River Eagle for giving away the result ahead of the game :D)

The dogs have been very solid all year without being spectacular, when it comes to finals time they wont be able to go up a gear like us. A fully fit Manly side should be able to beat the Mutts.

Dogs = bigger pretenders than the Roosters and Souths last year. Peaked too soon, it's the wrong end of the season to be at the top of the ladder.

HappilyManly said:
Trex is an Origin Player. He will stop performing once the Origin selection period is over :cool:

Manly will win the comp in 2014, as the first leg of 2v's Back to Back Campaign :angel:
(Apologies River Eagle for giving away the result ahead of the game :D)

No worries HM, as I say, you saved me a couple of wasted hours watching them win.

I actually agree that they should pick She-Rex for NSW...he'll fire up (as best he can) and will be made to look better by quality players around him.

I hope they don't pick Choc - tonight's game will be interesting for Origin selections - but he probly wants to play.

And I agree, of course, we'll win this comp....as @mave said...''May premiers'' the Dogs! We'll sort them out full-strength in the finals, if someone else doesn't.

Or get that ultimate revenge on GF day!

eagle chick said:
Dogs = bigger pretenders than the Roosters and Souths last year. Peaked too soon, it's the wrong end of the season to be at the top of the ladder.

Hmmm, not sure you're a pretender if you actually finish up winning the Comp. :p

Like us, they are a tough team and will be hard to beat in Sept/Oct. I hate them as much as the next Manly fan but don't let your hate cloud your judgement. You don't win that many close games by a fluke. The Dogs players look like they're enjoying themselves again. Morris's effort, after initially being beaten by Johnson, to turn, chase and launch himself to save the game is an outcome of the head space they are currently in.

As stated originally, playing them over the next six weeks will be a good marker for us.

Why were the Dogs allowed to play in purple, the Scum's colours?
I could understand if they played in pink.
It was a double dose of disgust for me - watching the Dogs in Melbourne jerseys!

The Who said:
Why were the Dogs allowed to play in purple, the Scum's colours?
I could understand if they played in pink.
It was a double dose of disgust for me - watching the Dogs in Melbourne jerseys!

At first glance, it looked like the Storm vs Roosters. lol

Ralphie said:
eagle chick said:

Hmmm, not sure you're a pretender if you actually finish up winning the Comp. :p

2007 & 2009 - Extreme Pretenders :exclamation::exclamation:

If Hodkinson and Reynolds are selected for Origin then we will play the dogs without them. So will the Roosters next friday night. Could be the other way around though with Pearce and Maloney getting selected.

Scratch that. We play them twice. The weekends before origins 2 and 3. Hopefully Hodkinson and Reynolds do get selected!

Stevo said:
If Hodkinson and Reynolds are selected for Origin then we will play the dogs without them. So will the Roosters next friday night. Could be the other way around though with Pearce and Maloney getting selected.

Scratch that. We play them twice. The weekends before origins 2 and 3. Hopefully Hodkinson and Reynolds do get selected!

We have 2 byes before Origin.
We have the bye before Origins 1 & 2.
We play the dogs before Origin 3.

Hasler's squeezing every last drop of juice from the oranges at his disposal. Just about every player is in career best form. They score a lot of tries from the boot of Hodkinson and to a lesser extent Reynolds. They have a lot of kicking practice with AFL coaches to perfect their attacking kicks. They do seem to get more than their fair share of luck from these kicks. They'll roll over the top of any team which doesn't turn up totally committed. Their goal line and scramble defence is the best in the comp at the moment and has moved up a notch from last year mainly due to attitude and the absence of Inu and Perret from their right side . Their short passing game limits the opposition's chance to get 2 or 3 into the tackle which means a quicker play the ball.

Technically their big forwards should be struggling against a quick play the ball , but it hasn't happened to a great extent so far. With a soft Origin draw they'll probably be minor premiers but I think they'll be vulnerable at the business end of the year against a team with the right tactics.

On another note I can't believe James Graham got away with his Cumberland throw on Sione Lousi which caused a serious knee injury. This manoeuvre always has the potential to cause serious injury and I'm surprised he hasn't been cited for it.

driftout said:
Their goal line and scramble defence is the best in the comp

The Stats agree with your comment and so do i however With Respect... which Team with any attacking flare have they played ???

Depleted sharks , not paid newcastle , injured souths ?? dont know what to say about warriors.

Maybe melbourne for a short period of time without smith and also an out of form roosters...

Yes they are leading with terrific stats , but ive watched their games and they have had a golden run so far...

If the roosters halves are selected for NSW scumdogs most probably secure top 2 , if scumdogs halves get selected for NSW they scrape into the 8

we played tigers at Leichardt the scumdogs play them later in the year twice at ANZ , we play eels at Parra stadium , they play them twice at ANZ..
Advantage scumdogs... hence the golden run

I reckon the Dogs are going to be your classic example of a side that looks great all year and qualifies 1st or 2nd but cant take up the extra step up in the semi's. Good solid roster & good forward pack & good solid lot across the park ....but lacking in star power in the backs and the halves especially.

Somebody will beat them year - just hope that's its us...but if it isn't it will be Roosters or Rabbits.

They do look like they're finally united again after the Barba saga last year.

Consistently good enough right now; similar to 2012 when they made it to the big one.

But I agree...They might just be lacking the spark, or X-Factor to ace the tougher games in finals footy.

And again, as pointed out, they've been lucky with injuries so far ( only one out of note being Pritchard).

The law of averages says they must pick up a few, perhaps during Origin, if not after. And they may struggle without a few key players there.

Conversely, I'm hoping we get our significant injuries out of the loop now!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7