Does sack the coach or mass cleanup work?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So I thought I would look at the facts we can access to see how sack the coach or mass cleanup actually benefits a team

First I looked at Premiership winning coaches and the years they had been with the club before they won a premiership, this is from '98 the NRL era.

Avg years before a coach won a premiership with a club - 6.4. Even removing the discredited premierships from the storm does little as they won more later in the career of Bellamy

The median (or middle number, that is line all them up in a row and what sits in the middle) - 5 yrs

Mode (most frequent) - 2 yrs

What lesson does that tell you? It can take time to get a team together. Of interest there are 3 coaches that have won the premiership in their first year of coaching at their club. Ricky and Trent at the Roosters (enough said), and Michael Hagan with the Knights in 2001. You can make your own assumptions

On another note I looked at our Premiership winning pack from 2008. It was interesting to note that 80% of the pack had been together for at least 2 years before we won that premiership.

The motto..... Don't bitch and moan and expect first year changes to deliver a premiership, there is patience and method in building a team. And guess what! every other team in the premiership is trying to achieve the same. So if all of you that want half the team dropped and a new coach for next year, if you get your wish you have to shut up and let the new team build, choice is yours.

What is the 3-5 year plan from Seibold?

Hire as many ex premiership winning coaches to be your assistant or ??

So I thought I would look at the facts we can access to see how sack the coach or mass cleanup actually benefits a team

First I looked at Premiership winning coaches and the years they had been with the club before they won a premiership, this is from '98 the NRL era.

Avg years before a coach won a premiership with a club - 6.4. Even removing the discredited premierships from the storm does little as they won more later in the career of Bellamy

The median (or middle number, that is line all them up in a row and what sits in the middle) - 5 yrs

Mode (most frequent) - 2 yrs

What lesson does that tell you? It can take time to get a team together. Of interest there are 3 coaches that have won the premiership in their first year of coaching at their club. Ricky and Trent at the Roosters (enough said), and Michael Hagan with the Knights in 2001. You can make your own assumptions

On another note I looked at our Premiership winning pack from 2008. It was interesting to note that 80% of the pack had been together for at least 2 years before we won that premiership.

The motto..... Don't bitch and moan and expect first year changes to deliver a premiership, there is patience and method in building a team. And guess what! every other team in the premiership is trying to achieve the same. So if all of you that want half the team dropped and a new coach for next year, if you get your wish you have to shut up and let the new team build, choice is yours.
I interpret that as we need to throw the kitchen sink at signing Michael Hagan so that we can win next year!!!
🤪

Unless you are Robinson and the Chooks and can add Sonny Bill, Jennings and Maloney in one hit, the way to produce a premiership team is to build it over time. That means improving the individuals and the teamwork over time. And selectively adding talent in areas that need bolstering.
None of us need reminding that Manly has started an upswing several times over the last 7 years only to flop back, very frustrating period for sure.
But the team Des was trying to build is mostly still here and hasn't yet reached it's full potential, the potential is still there and for well-known reasons there's now a brand new coach in charge of completing the job.
Of course we need to bolster some playing positions but the main work is on improving the current squad's mindset and consistency.
So ... my view ... mass clearance of players or bringing in a new (non-Benett or Bellamy) coach will set us backwards, not forwards!

Unless you are Robinson and the Chooks and can add Sonny Bill, Jennings and Maloney in one hit, the way to produce a premiership team is to build it over time. That means improving the individuals and the teamwork over time. And selectively adding talent in areas that need bolstering.
None of us need reminding that Manly has started an upswing several times over the last 7 years only to flop back, very frustrating period for sure.
But the team Des was trying to build is mostly still here and hasn't yet reached it's full potential, the potential is still there and for well-known reasons there's now a brand new coach in charge of completing the job.
Of course we need to bolster some playing positions but the main work is on improving the current squad's mindset and consistency.
So ... my view ... mass clearance of players or bringing in a new (non-Benett or Bellamy) coach will set us backwards, not forwards!
Its a coaches job to bring accountability
But the best form of accountability is from within the playing group
The playing group set it far too low

BK didnt just rev everyone up, he made players fear letting him down.
and wasnt he filthy with himself if it was him
we dont have that either. Tom had it in 21 briefly

Ive mentioned before we need players that know the journey to finals footy. We dont have that either. Not appearances but know how to get there. We need them to start to build, until then we are treading water at the shallow end, and sell whoever it takes

Nice guys dont finish first

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8