Does Manly pack have enough Mongrel ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
100% just watch the grand final again and look at the difference it makes when your outside backs get you out of trouble. If the sets gets off to a bad start then your are pretty much screwed for the entire set and this is just repeated time and time again!
we got rid of Suli and Jorge ... they both take it up hard, but miss a lot of tackles ... we seem to be pretty good now in the forwards maybe Quac could get a run in the centres, damaging

You have to have at least one strike centre who causes panic in defences. We forget we had them in our GF wins. Players such as O'Connor, Innes, Hill, Lyon, Steve Bell, Matai, even Steve Menzies in the backline as 2nd row. Sadly, comparing Brad and Morgan to these guys and there is part of the answer in why we are definitely finalists but not premiers. We need someone in the centres who can cause havoc. We were hoping it was going to be Suli but sadly never eventuated. He had the speed and power to run riot but his defence etc wasn't there. Jamie Lyon had both. Tippy, Koula or even Ben T could be considered next season or the year after? When Parker gets the ball you know he can't make a break or get outside someone. Someone with speed like Koula must be developed if possible.

Last edited:
You have to have at least one strike centre who causes panic in defences. We forget we had them in our GF wins. Players such as O'Connor, Innes, Hill, Lyon, Steve Bell, Matai, even Steve Menzies in the backline as 2nd row. Sadly, comparing Brad and Morgan to these guys and there is part of the answer in why we are definitely finalists but not premiers. We need omeone in the centres who can cause havoc. We were hoping it was going to be Suli but sadly never eventuated. He had the speed and power to run riot but his defence etc wasn't there. Jamie Lyon had both. Tippy, Koula or even Ben T could be considered next season or the year after? When parker gets the ball you know he can't make a break or et outside someone. Someone with speed like koula must be developed if possible.
Scorpio’s issue now is more about how many times he gets concussed.

Great team player , no superstar but does a job BUT for how much longer??

Lionel , well the jury is out. Had a good year , fell away badly at the end perhaps through fatigue , perhaps through not handling better competition.

But I’ve been advocating for a strike centre for a while and agree with the general comments that I doubt we can win a Premiership with these two.

Koula will be a free agent after Nov. the i st and though still unproven at i st grade level , hope that Manly can extend his current contract past next season reasonably soon . Along with Tippy Toes has been with the main squad since the end of last season and both must be getting fairly familiar with the general Manly mode of play by now . Only one trial arranged for next pre season so not a lot of opportunity to press for selection but would say that Tippy toes looks a bit unsuited to wing , could mould into a strong running centre , and really hope that koula gets every chance to press for a i st grade centre spot as early as possible .

I really hope we don't lose out with Koula. You can't coach that pace and he is so fast guys like him will change the way defences work. Look at Jimmy the Jet, I now he had issues but imagine marking him, if he got away from you he was gone. Bit like Saab in the clear. It also would make it better for Tommy as defences have to mark multiple options. Storm all calling out Turbo here, there etc makes us pretty easy to pick.

I really hope we don't lose out with Koula. You can't coach that pace and he is so fast guys like him will change the way defences work. Look at Jimmy the Jet, I now he had issues but imagine marking him, if he got away from you he was gone. Bit like Saab in the clear. It also would make it better for Tommy as defences have to mark multiple options. Storm all calling out Turbo here, there etc makes us pretty easy to pick.
Couldn 't agree more . Still young but looks keen and has already shown his excellent ability . Did well to fend off Rugby Union for his services , Apparently had some money to go after or consider Momerosky , should not take that much to re commit koula for another couple of seasons .

Lionel , well the jury is out. Had a good year , fell away badly at the end perhaps through fatigue , perhaps through not handling better competition.

But I’ve been advocating for a strike centre for a while and agree with the general comments that I doubt we can win a Premiership with these two.
Simples - it’s not “ I doubt we can win a Premiership with these two” BUT IN REALITY WE DEFINITELY WO’NT WIN A PREMIERSHIP WITH THESE TWO !!!

Lionel looked like he was carrying his arm or shoulder after making tackles towards the last 8 games. I'd still give Harper first crack at centres, needs to bulk up a bit for mine and with a good off season behind him I can see him having a good season ahead. Parker was killing it running onto Foz's passes 10m out, and we know Parkers a great defender. The first 3 games will tell the tail, in the meantime I'm prepared to give them a bit of slack for now...

Some smart calls about those early return sets with wingers predominately punching the ball North and where To'o has earned much due respect
Garrick definitely improved here but not great and Saab was very poor here, but has improved imo
Still young so maybe Saab and Garrick bending the line early can help the go forward significantly....point taken and good call 🤙

Really, we have average go forward. Sometimes the forwards will have a go... Sometimes not.. Since AFB left though there has been little aggression. We would be so much better if he was here fit & injury free.

Really, we have average go forward. Sometimes the forwards will have a go... Sometimes not.. Since AFB left though there has been little aggression. We would be so much better if he was here fit & injury free.
average go forward, little aggression, sometimes the forwards have a go, mmm..even after all this failure...how the hell did we even manage to get 4th and one win away from a GF...And what I've seen of AFB with the Warriors last season, we're not missing much tbh.

He can’t be that if he’s just a tackle machine at lock !!
Agreed. I think an "inspirational leader" must have that attacking flair that can get the team moving forward on the front foot. Not just be a great defender. Think here Kennedy, Watmough, Ronnie Gibbs of days gone by. Jake is our biggest asset in the forwards but not that "inspirational leader" unfortunately. As I have posted elsewhere, Jake is also our biggest dilemma / challenge in a re-balanced forward pack for next year. With Des's history of making changes, I suspect we will have same issues next year. How mad is the mad Professor?

average go forward, little aggression, sometimes the forwards have a go, mmm..even after all this failure...how the hell did we even manage to get 4th and one win away from a GF...And what I've seen of AFB with the Warriors last season, we're not missing much tbh.
We got lucky with 4th. The roosters would have been there if they hadn't been cruelled with injuries. We showed where we were when we played the top teams. I don't doubt that if it wasn't for the one man army we wouldn't have made the eight.

im still so confused by this

AFB is by far a top 3 prop i don't even see how there is debate

the only people i've heard say AFB isn't in conversation for best prop of the league are ST's on this forum hahah

If we had AFB we would have made the GF, he is HEAD and SHOULDERS ABOVE all of our props (marty, paseka, aloiai, keppie, sipley... can you SERIOUSLY say you'd rather any of these guys over AFB???? i love them as manly players but cmon)

im still so confused by this

AFB is by far a top 3 prop i don't even see how there is debate

the only people i've heard say AFB isn't in conversation for best prop of the league are ST's on this forum hahah

If we had AFB we would have made the GF, he is HEAD and SHOULDERS ABOVE all of our props (marty, paseka, aloiai, keppie, sipley... can you SERIOUSLY say you'd rather any of these guys over AFB???? i love them as manly players but cmon)
To say AFB is one of the top 3 props in the NRL going around is a big call. AFB got injured early in the season with the Warriors and this ultimately impacted his season going forward. You have effectively bypassed a host of great props in the top 4, not counting us since you don't rate them. So you are looking at, at least 4 props that aren't as good as AFB. I'm judging AFB on this season, the Warriors had another bad year once again and fell away in the last month, and what I saw from AFB it wasn't top 3 material.

We got lucky with 4th. The roosters would have been there if they hadn't been cruelled with injuries. We showed where we were when we played the top teams. I don't doubt that if it wasn't for the one man army we wouldn't have made the eight.
Maybe the Roosters would of got 4th if not for their injury list, but you only play what's in front of you and we did what we were supposed to and put the Roosters to the sword, after a heavy defeat by Melb. To say we wouldn't of even made the 8 is putting the team down J1, we were miles ahead of the Knights and the Titans, and we beat the Eels twice and one was a thumping win. And it was obvious we had the Roosters measure..if our forwards didn't dominate in these games, Tommy wouldn't of been able to do his stuff.

To say AFB is one of the top 3 props in the NRL going around is a big call. AFB got injured early in the season with the Warriors and this ultimately impacted his season going forward. You have effectively bypassed a host of great props in the top 4, not counting us since you don't rate them. So you are looking at, at least 4 props that aren't as good as AFB. I'm judging AFB on this season, the Warriors had another bad year once again and fell away in the last month, and what I saw from AFB it wasn't top 3 material.
turbo played what 7 games in 2020 but if you asked everyone who are in the top 3-4 fullbacks in the comp, i'm certain he would still be in there

just because AFB missed 10 games doesnt mean he's not in the top 3. you don't have to play 24 games a season to qualify. If you look at his per-game impact i cannot even fathom how he isn't in the top 3

I don't see where he is lacking besides maybe a bit of intensity in defence. He is the ultimate alpha male, the best metre eater, quick on his feet, decent hands for a big man and most importantly he aims up to EVERY pack. Over the past few years I'm sure he would be top few in average running metres too.

'judging on this season' surely you judge overall? I.e. this season Luke Brooks played more games than Luke Keary but Keary is no brainer to be the better player.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4