Does Manly have the Best Young guns ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
100% agree we have a huge talent pot coming up but we must be careful not to be like the Broncos of 2018 -2019.

They too had the best young crop of players but the mistake they made was to throw out their older players. Young guys no matter how good still need leadership from some solid old heads.

Chez gets a hard time on here simply due to his contract size. For me he's probably a 900k player on talent however he's 100% worth another 400k on leadership and captaincy.

Thats something the young players need no matter the talent.

100% agree we have a huge talent pot coming up but we must be careful not to be like the Broncos of 2018 -2019.

They too had the best young crop of players but the mistake they made was to throw out their older players. Young guys no matter how good still need leadership from some solid old heads.

Chez gets a hard time on here simply due to his contract size. For me he's probably a 900k player on talent however he's 100% worth another 400k on leadership and captaincy.

Thats something the young players need no matter the talent.
We got our money with DCE and the 10 year contract. I always worried it would be a Buddy franklin, million dollars and always injured. DCE has been excellent value for money. Touch wood!!

Burbo signed until 2023

If he’s going to be a First Grader it’s almost now or never.

I really worry he’s been signed because , well you know !!
Yeah...a lot of Manly people I know have said the same thing, but he's shown what he could be capable of, bit like Jake, looks to be a good defender.

Stables look good ,but not counting any chickens until they are hatched.
The next big thing tagged to you at a young age can destroy youngsters.
Remember we had years of Albert Hoppa is the next immortal talk and look how that went !

Remember we had years of Albert Hoppa is the next immortal talk and look how that went !
True - very true Robbiea...but young Hoppa unfortunately copped a far more serious injury that repeated itself and cut his agility and speed in half prior to making his debut....and apart from his left fend, his speed was a Massive part of what made him a standout.
Definitely a big fail in relation to expectations, but I think ppl underestimate the impact of serious major injuries effect on players, particularly outside backs, both nullifying abilty and crushing confidence

Last edited:
Hard not to be excited about the young talent emerging at Manly. But I don't know what young talent is at the other clubs, Storm, Chooks Broncos Panthers etc always seem to have an endless supply of young talent too. I guess we'll find out just how good they all are when they hit first grade.

Yes , a lot of young talent in the squad and coming through but it is a very different ball game to prove yourself in the top grade .Let's hope Des gives everyone a shot and then we will know which ones can make it .

The only problem is other clubs develop players and the slightest bit of talent the roosters pounce.

We are developing these players and won't see the rewards for the effort when Uncle Nick promises them the world.
There should be some salary cap concession if players make the NRL after coming through the juniors.

If we can get them wanting to stay together like what the Panthers managed with their team we will feature in the finals for years.

Finding/nurturing/developing talent is something Manly has done extremely well at the last few years.

When these “talents” move into our senior system is where we are set apart from most of the NRL teams. With Dessie running the coaching systems, we are providing one of the best platforms and one on one training in the NRL.

You actually have to “coach” these talents and this is something that is either lacking in the other NRL teams or the level of coaching is just terrible for the player.

Absolutely yes. We only need a success rate of 50% of them to develop into first graders and it will be amazing if they all succeed. Really exciting season ahead.

Absolutely agree

That said, to be fair to young Hoppa he is still only 20 years old. He still has time to break through.

Easy to forget how young he is considering we have theen talking about him for 4-5 years haha

Absolutely agree

That said, to be fair to young Hoppa he is still only 20 years old. He still has time to break through.

Easy to forget how young he is considering we have theen talking about him for 4-5 years haha

I hope Hoppa is one of those players that signs elsewhere.
I don't care how talented he becomes the old man will in his ear demanding the world, not worth the hassle.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4