Does Australia Have a Culture of Violence?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Our culture of violence

By Jane Bunce

August 11, 2006 12:00
Article from: AAP

ALMOST half of adult Australians have been attacked, chilling new data has revealed.

Women are most likely to be victims of physical violence in their home, but men have most to fear in bars or outdoors, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics figures.

The figures show violence in society is widespread, with half of all men and 40 per cent of women suffering a violent attack since the age of 15.

The ABS released the first national Personal Safety Survey, which also found one in 10 men and one in 20 women had experienced physical violence or been threatened in the past year.

Men aged 18-24 were the most common targets of physical assaults, with 43 per cent complaining they had experienced violence in the past year.

Men are most likely to get caught in bar room attacks or outside and their attackers are most commonly strangers.

Women's experience of violence is most likely to be domestic, perpetrated by a man who in most cases was a friend or family member.

More than 126,000 women, or 1.6 per cent, and more than 46,000 men, or 0.6 per cent, experienced sexual violence or threats in the 12 months prior to the survey.

Most people were sexually assaulted by family members or friends.

But the survey also found some good news.

Physical and sexual violence, assaults and threats against women had all declined slightly since a 1996 survey on women's experiences with violence.

And while more women reported feeling unsafe on public transport alone after dark, far fewer women said they felt unsafe at home alone at night.

A decade ago, more than 21 per cent of women felt unsafe compared to just over 13 per cent in 2005.

But the Minister Assisting the Prime Minister on Women's Issues, Julie Bishop, said although the survey showed a drop in physical violence against women aged 18 to 24 years, it showed disturbing increases against older women.

"The message has to get through that violence against women is absolutely unacceptable in any form,'' she said.

She said more people were reporting incidences of violence, which showed the government's $75.5 million Women's Safety Agenda was raising awareness.

In the 12 months prior to the 2005 survey 35 per cent of men and 36 per cent of women reported their male attacker to police.

"However more needs to be done,'' she said.

"I will carefully consider these findings and will raise the implications with my colleagues at the upcoming Commonwealth, State, Territory and New Zealand Women's Ministers' Conference.''

People have lost respect for each other I think.

Im very protective of my partner and my mates. I will try to avoid conflict where possible but sometimes people need to be shown that the cant just act like goats and be disrepectful and get away with it.

One example:

I was at the pub and Nikki and I were playing pool. Nikki comes up and says, "Did you see that Twistie land on the pool table" I didnt see it and wasnt really bothered were it had come from as I frequent this pub all the time and have never had trouble there.

Anyway, I go to take my shot and there is a bright light shining in my eyes which I though was a headlight from outside. So I pull away from the table, then lean down to take my shot again and bang, there is the bright light again.

I look up and see these 2 idiots laughing and realised that not only had they been shining one of those laser lights in my eyes, but had been throwing chips at Nikki.

This to me is just disrespectful and going too far. I wont go into what I did as I sort of regret doing it, but at the same time the dickhead deserved it it but let me ask you guys,

What would you have done in that situation?

You think you're a pussy Volley? I was once picked up by the throat by a chick on Darling Harbour.

Dan will attest to the fact that she wasn't very much a lady to begin with, but nonetheless :)

I personally think it's a weakness of character to resort to violence in this day and age. But fairt enough in your case Doug. I'm sure your missus was impressed.

Lol that was hilarious.......

Vicky had some psycho friends........

The story goes like this guys she was claiming I was a drug dealer and corrupting Vicky. Is there any wonder she ended up going nuts????

Those who know me know my stance on drugs, and I am not a drug taker to say the least

People have lost respect for each other I think.

Im very protective of my partner and my mates. I will try to avoid conflict where possible but sometimes people need to be shown that the cant just act like goats and be disrepectful and get away with it.

One example:

I was at the pub and Nikki and I were playing pool. Nikki comes up and says, \"Did you see that Twistie land on the pool table\" I didnt see it and wasnt really bothered were it had come from as I frequent this pub all the time and have never had trouble there.

Anyway, I go to take my shot and there is a bright light shining in my eyes which I though was a headlight from outside. So I pull away from the table, then lean down to take my shot again and bang, there is the bright light again.

I look up and see these 2 idiots laughing and realised that not only had they been shining one of those laser lights in my eyes, but had been throwing chips at Nikki.

This to me is just disrespectful and going too far. I wont go into what I did as I sort of regret doing it, but at the same time the dickhead deserved it it but let me ask you guys,

What would you have done in that situation?

I would've gone straight up to them and confronted them- what I said would be dependant on how pissed I was.
Having worked all my life in pubs and nightclubs I try to avoid violence becasue at the end of the day it just stuffs up your night (and I'm not the biggest guy in the world and have seen situations where 'extra friends come out of nowhere)..then again when confonting the situation sometimes you can't avoid violence.
Best bet would be to get the girl to dob them in to the bouncers and get them turfed but granted with alcohol added things don't always workout that way...

I'd rather just give the perpetrators the time they deserve - nil. Are they worth caring enough for action. I think a person is bigger who just walks away, and has a great night, drinking, meeting people etc etc etc...

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2