Do we let Taupau go?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
It has been a bad year for us in terms of results on the field .No doubt,and I have hated it
However we have to be realistic and acknowledge a fact that we all talk about alot but don't really remember .That fact is that we have not had 75% of our spine for probably 85% or 90 % of the season.
So I ask how do you think the Scum would have gone without Scam all year on top of Pappenhauzen and Munster out for 85% of the season .They unlike us have alot of depth ,but even so I watched Branden Smith the other week and he is no Scam , as yet (as much as I hate that c&%t) or how would the roosters go if no Tedesco ,no Keary and no Friend or the Worms with no Queen ,no Dylan ?? and no Reed Mahoney again I know they most likely have more depth but I reckon they would not be in the position they are if our shoe was on their foot .Alot of the top teams have had 1 or 2 out at a time but not a lot long term like we have
So we need some tweaking i.e a winger ,sign Hoppa to cover Turbo and or put Hoppa on the wing and a hooker Levi and Croker dont cut it and I don't think ever will. Even though Cust had a shocker yesterday I still think he is worth persisting with and of course we still have Walker who is a great player when fit who has reportedly signed for unders ,as he should !!. So maybe Cust can cover hooker with an off season and some tutelage from Matt B and Monna's
So yes the sky has fallen in in 2020 thru mission critical long term injuries .
As much as I liked to see Hoppa debut yesterday you can tell he was more than a bit under done and that Des was 100% right in not pushing him into the side before he was 100% ready even though the shrill screams of the ST throng were deafening and everyone on ST , including me knew better !! .
However thankfully he got thru it and will be so much better for the run and maybe with another week will be ready to swap with Funa ,who although a little rocks or diamonds has something about him as a player I like i.e safe under the high ball ,fearless, not afraid to have a go and a strong and straight runner of the ball (would like to he him get some time as a center which is his position)
So i know this trying to put perspective on things ,if you like put a sliver lining on an otherwise gloomy horizon and apply a shade of rose to glasses the I am wearing which is generally not the way to go here on ST but some of these things need remembering about our plight.
Having said all that I will be looking forward to 4 from 4 wins over the next few weeks and seeing Guac as a starter for Thommo who can come off the bench ,Waddell dropped ,Schuster to get some game time and Hoppa to improve along with signing his contract offer from Manly and thanking the club for standing by him and the rest of his family over many years.
To Robbo's point I would keep Marty he is a leader is still playing well and can play 2nd row , is durable and compared to other front rowers not that expensive .Sirro to me is not the player he once was ,I dont know why or if its fixable or what he is on .
That all folks
Go Manly

Release Jake & we’re good. Offers nothing in attack, is good for penalties & numerous 6 again calls. We have better options than Jake! Definitely not worth the $900,000 he’s on! Marty is worth every cent & one of the best props going around. In what way is Jake a better prop? What are his stats compared to Marty? He doesn’t come close in any way or in any statistic apart from tackles made! This get rid of Marty agenda has become boring! Our salary cap is not a mess coz of Marty...It was strained with the DCE signing but it’s a mess because of the Trbojevics resigning!
Marty averages 118m per game.
Pretty garbage for a starting prop.

Jake plays 80 minutes a game defending week in week out like a gun. His attack hasnt been as good this year but its pretty hard when we’re on the backfoot every single game defending our try line for 80 minutes - in which he is making the most tackles and being our best defender. If we had good backs and could score some tries he wouldnt be out on his feet 80 minutes a game - attack is the best defense.

Let Marty go, he’s on 750k. Bring Welch in for 450-500k as a solid prop with Keppie & Paseka on the bench.

1 Trbojevic
2 Funa / Garrick
3 Staggs + (gk)
4 Suli
5 Saab +
6 Cust
7 Cherry-Evans
8 Fonua-Blake
9 Levi
10 Welch +
11 Schuster
12 Sironen
13 Trbojevic

14 Starling +
15 Olakau’atu
16 Keppie
17 Paseka

18 Hynes
19 Garrick / Funa
20 Saddler
21 Smalley / Sipley

Waiting to start: Nase

Tapau has gotten really metro of late, and he is supposed to be the front line of aggro.

Just not quite sure what to think of him this year. Been ok but not dominant.

Not a lot of Manly attitude at all around the place to be fair. Saw glimpses in the Newcastle game.

NYEagle

I have always had a question mark about Kapow .... and what he adds to the team ... for mine his personal stats don't equate to team performance .... or pack mentality ...

Does he make a difference ? ... Yeah, he goes good ... but he does not influence the result as much as a bloke on his pay grade should ...

He's still playing decent but the days of him hurting opposition in defence or bending the line consistently are pretty much gone. He's in the latter stages of his career and it's following the normal trajectory.

I can see both sides of the argument. Trades only going to work IF he wants to go and we get a good deal for him.

I think this is an example at looking at the wrong reasons for a poor form patch and results.....we could look at several players like this, there was a crazy thread I seen claiming to get rid of AFB, who is an absolutely elite NRL forward, though needs to play the ball quicker after 5 -10m post contact metres on most carries...
Simply need Tom back and a solid spine and some more pace around the field which we are lacking atm....our middles are making yards and its outside we look lacklustre, disorganised and don't convert into points.
As example - Marty at Storm would be seen as Superman....due to the players and the amount of support pushing up around the footy cashing in on his charges and offloads.
I think our edges with Sirro and Thommo are playing at a lessor level than our front rowers and Jake, though playing a very 1 dimensional role, is far more valuable than given credit....we would be looking at far more embaressing scorelines if Jake was out....

Marty

I'm really not sure what to think of him. He is capable of making good meters and can off-load. When the team is clicking and playing that fast direct style he is a deadly part of that roll. Unfortunately, we haven't seen too much of that play this season. He is usually good for a boneheaded error each game (reminds me a bit of Choc in that regard), and he just doesn't intimidate as much as I would expect a guy of his size, strength and ability. That said, I would prefer to have him running for us than running at us

Jake

Not a great season for him. I get the impression he is an emotional barometer and reflects the mood around him. This can be good when channeled, but he does still struggle to not allow adversity to get to him. He is extremely important for adding defensive starch in the middle, but has struggled with attack this season. That has a lot to do with team performance and how he is being used. As others have mentioned, I would like to see him given a rest in games and focus on quality input. I also think that getting a solid defensive hooker would help this immensely. Then, when we rest Jake, we still have that defensive middle holding strong. He is a critical piece in our puzzle because of the amount we have invested in him and the potential impact he has on this team, both good and bad.

Prop is one position we seem to have well covered. Among the untried props this season are Titmus, Sippers and Tenterfield, while Guaca and Lance have only had limited opportunities.
So, I'd be comfortable if Manly let Kapow go. He's been good for the club and probable has another year or two in him with another club.
We have several other positions that need strengthening.

Jake plays 80 minutes a game defending week in week out like a gun. His attack hasnt been as good this year but its pretty hard when we’re on the backfoot every single game defending our try line for 80 minutes - in which he is making the most tackles and being our best defender. If we had good backs and could score some tries he wouldnt be out on his feet 80 minutes a game - attack is the best defense.

Let Marty go, he’s on 750k. Bring Welch in for 450-500k as a solid prop with Keppie & Paseka on the bench.

A couple of things for me

1. He is on contract which means that typically we would need to pay for some of his contract for anyone to take him on. This would negate any potential savings
2. Like many on here I miss the "old" days of player loyalty, one club players etc. This is a two way street and i am not a fan when a club (or supporters) talk about shipping players who are on contract off elsewhere

Since when is 118m a game garbage for a starting prop?

Yeah he makes the most tackles & we still let in cricket scores.

He's still playing decent but the days of him hurting opposition in defence or bending the line consistently are pretty much gone. He's in the latter stages of his career and it's following the normal trajectory.

I can see both sides of the argument. Trades only going to work IF he wants to go and we get a good deal for him.
Marty doesn’t bend the line lolololol....WOW & Jake does? About the only thing Jake bends is the rules & gets penalised for it!

Jake needs to play only 60 mins, and stop getting involved on 4th tackle plays, then he'll be sweet.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10