Do NZ deserve to be in the grand final?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rex

Bencher
I'll enjoy NZ being in the GF, but do they deserve to be there? Have they really earned it?

1. They limped into the final series in 6th place
2. They won only 2 of their 3 games in the final series
3. In the final series they've scored 52 points and have had 72 points scored against them.

Is it a lottery system or a merit system? And how do they deserve a second chance when the top teams can get knocked out with a single loss?

Well that is more of a McIntyre system argument then a "Do Warriors deserve it" one. I think they do deserve to be there, they had to beat the Tigers and the Storm to get there.

melb had 2 home games and couldn't with them both convincingly - NO
tigers had a wave of sydney support and the refs favours - NO
Brisbane had lockyers farewell lovefest - NO

the haters may say that we beat a weakend cowboys and broncos teams. But you can only beat whats in front of you when it matters. so both Manly and Warriors deserve their spot.

They deserve to be there.

They are a hot and cold side, you just can't predict them.

More importantly they have earned their right to be in the GF by beating the Tigers and the Storm.

Rex said:
I'll enjoy NZ being in the GF, but do they deserve to be there? Have they really earned it?

3. In the final series they've scored 52 points and have had 72 points scored against them.

Is it a lottery system or a merit system? And how do they deserve a second chance when the top teams can get knocked out with a single loss?
With all due respect, I'd rate this as the worst post I have read this year. They beat Melbourne at their home ground and they are in the GF

As Torana indicated, the question is really related to the McIntyre system, not the particular teams, or the particular games.

It may take only one small hiccup from Manly, or one refereeing mistake, or maybe an overzealous tribunal system, and in 2011 we may have a team that wouldn't even qualify for a final five system winning the competition despite needing two chances in the finals and being soundly outscored during the scope of the final series.

I went to the game tonight and had a great time letting the storm fans know that their team was rubbish!! The Warriors played well but didn't have much thrown at them.
But yeah they deserve to be there, will be a cracker of an atmosphere next week, can't wait!!!

Yes. The nature of all contests is to overcome your opposition. The Manly and the Warriors Teams have done that. The others in the final 8 didnt.
Nothing to do with 'deserving' as that is merely a subjective term.

May the best Team win and lets fill the Stadium with the Maaaanly war cry :D

Without doubt they deserve to be there and good luck to them.
They need to loose one before they win one anyhow...or so they say.

It shows how retarded the mcintrye system is that team 6 can lose in week one and still win the comp.

The fact that it's the warriors makes it easier to swallow because it's going to be a fun day. Their fans are some of the funniest in the comp.

Of course they deserve to be there.

After that first loss to Brisbane you would have had them at 100 to 1 to get to the GF, but to have no home final and win in Sydney and Melbourne to get there is huge.

Manly V Warriors GF is a much better prospect than us playing Melbourne.

Yes - they beat Tigers & Melbourne in sudden death so why not??
They are not robotic like Storm & though I feel confident about next Sunday, they pose many more unpredictable attacking plays than Melbourne who were always gunna lose that GF qualifier to anyone they played. They performed at their peak during the comp & could not change gears for the finals & were only Newcastle away from losing the 1st final they played.

Of course they do. They beat the Minor Premiers, and at Scum's ground. Enough said!

shauneagle said:
Rex said:

With all due respect, I'd rate this as the worst post I have read this year. They beat Melbourne at their home ground and they are in the GF

With all due respect, this is far from the worst post. I agree with Rex, and posted something similar. The system is flawed in so many ways, including the uneven draw, home semi finals (or not in our case), and that any team that finishes outside the top five doesn't deserve to play finals.

The Who said:
shauneagle said:
Rex said:

With all due respect, this is far from the worst post. I agree with Rex, and posted something similar. The system is flawed in so many ways, including the uneven draw, home semi finals (or not in our case), and that any team that finishes outside the top five doesn't deserve to play finals.

Top 5? Top 8? top3?

If that's the problem the only fair outcome would be first past the post.

Minor premiers become premiers.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8