Discussion about our forward pack

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
You get the sense from some of mata's posts that our pack could be the weakness this year. He maybe right but lets look at the pack.

Id break it up like this

The Leaders - the blokes you know will perform week in week out
Brent Kite - super season last year and will back it up
Menzies - No origin to worry about this year,

Experienced players who need to suport the leaders
Watmough - really should be one of the forward leaders but hasnt shown the form he did early in 2005.
King - Saw and improvement last year but we need to see more of it more often.
Mongahan - was great last year but will be under preasure from Burns and ballin
Bryant - Needs to fill the same roll heckenburg did, very solid benchman sometimes his handling lets him down.

Really u would expect the those six to walk in to the first side des picks.

Then you have the ones who should be there
George Rose - Was great last year and improved everyweek looks leaner and could move ahead of byrant and king.
Burns as second hooker

You then look at the others and theres lots of question marks
Williamson - I hate sayin this but i think willows had his time in first grade
and by the season end he wont be in our best 17 however there will be times thru out the year when we will need him in first grade and while hes not goin to have the impact of others he will be solid.

Dunley Same as willow, hes reached his used by date, while his dummy half runs are explosive his defense isnt at good as burns and monas

Glenn Stewart probably deserves first go at lock hes been solid before in first grade its just his size thats been a problem

Ballin - i dont know what to expect from ballin havent seen alot, have heard lots of positive stuff and based on that i think he deserves and opportunity at some stage this year.

Hall - only wanted a one season contract so he could try to impress and get a better deal. I like that, it will mean hes hungry to perform.

Sione big and strong, but will he be agile enough to be effective in the defensive line and to play the ball quick.

Jake A Lots of wraps on this bloke and like the other signings in the pack hes a wildcard 1 of the 3 have to work out u would think.

Cuthbertson gotta a chance last year and appeared to try to hard and made silly handling errors

Based on that the pack i think he des will go with Round would be like this

Kite
Monas
King
Menzies
Watmough
Stewart

Rose
Burns/Dunley (based on whose 5/8)
Williamson
Bryant

While it would appear the quality is a bit thin i think the fact there will be some heavy competion for places in 1st grade my go along way to make up for that.

Well.....one indicator was that our backline last night that performed more confidently in comparison to the forwards.

And we are hoping that some like Rose will step up, but there you go. We are hoping.

And then we all know we dont have a forward pack to match the bulldogs forwards :lol: someone once told me that.

Well.....one indicator was that our backline last night that performed more confidently in comparison to the forwards.

And we are hoping that some like Rose will step up, but there you go. We are hoping.

And then we all know we dont have a forward pack to match the bulldogs forwards :lol: someone once told me that.
That same forward pack as we have now matched it with the dogs in the second last round last year

remember Bk was out

It is plain for all to see our pack is lacking depth but so are a fair few other teams.

We do need at least 2 players to really step up this year otherwise we will be in strife if injuries play apart, which will happen, !pray: they dont come about regulary.

[quote author=Jatz Crackers]
That same forward pack as we have now matched it with the dogs in the second last round last year
remember Bk was out
[/quote]

Yep, I remember Cliff. my comment was a shot at some others recent posts about this topic.

Our pack is far from the best but it need only be able to hold ground and get us out of the danger zone this year. If our backs are unable to make the metres once outside our 40 then we will suffer. Orford, Lyon and Bell are big names and its their responsibilty to earn their way as moreso than he whom shall always be bagged.

Don't worry Kingy, Willo & Dunley will lead from the front and drive our forward pack to be the greatest there ever was.

There is no such thing as the forwards just need to hold their ground anymore.

If our forwards aren't going well we will waste what I think is the best back line in the NRL.

That being said, I don't think the forwards are as powder puff as they're suggested to be.

[quote author=Cliffy Gc]
[quote author=Jatz Crackers]
remember Bk was out
[/quote]

Yep, I remember Cliff. my comment was a shot at some others recent posts about this topic.

[/quote]

:roll: I couldn't be bothered.

Flip - i consider what the melbourne pack dished up last year was holding their own, got them to the final game. Kafousi and white averaged about 90m a game each. With Donnely coming off the bench.

If our boys can do the same job as the storm did then we should go a fair way.

metres don't mean everything.

hoffman,johnson,kidwell,kaufusi,white,smith,blair etc are all rep players with some great young guys like jeremy smith and crossman always coming off their bench(we let smith go I believe.)

white was great for them on Saturday-second behind choc.they will and did more than hold their own-they are all mobile and skillful and great to watch and their record reflects that.no pack has more speed through the centre of the ruck and they feed off the most creative hooker in the game.would i swap our pack for them.I love some of our guys but you bet I would.

me too Sue - my point being we dont have to dominate and have a pack like the dogs/dragons now that we have a backline like ours.

Slightly better than the backline of a few years ago

Walker
Hoppa
Hill
Torrens
Donald
Mullane
Monas

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8