Devout Manly lover

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
C

clummo

In observing the media play out the issue of the last one and a half weeks, I cant help but be saddened and shocked at the abuse Brett Stweart and Manly have been subjected to as a team.

It seems that the media, and others, could not wait to jump on something, anything, to re-invigorate the "We hate Manly" attitude bought about in the '70's.

There are a few memorable instances of late that bring this to the upmost attention.  It is pathetic that perhaps the greatest Manly player of all time - Steve Menzies - was not featured more for the intergrity and professionalism he bought to the game.  It is  equally disappointing that the decision to put the premiership winning team in a penthouse after the grand final was not applauded more (Note - living in Queensland, we get a somewhat skewed version of NSW NRL events - very disappointing).

With regards to Brett Stewart, I am of the understanding that he volunteers at hospitals etc.  While this in no way excuses any alleged incident, it is a shame that the media appears to be purporting the worst of the worst.  

Even in Queensland, incidents like this are merely given a shrug by the media after a back page headline.  After Sam Thaiday, Darious Boyd and Kharmichael Hunt sexually assualted a patron at a bar last year (and video evidence was found on their phone)  Sam Thaiday was hailed as the next Broncos captain merely one month later.  The NRL did not suspend any of these players.

After Australian captain Darren Lockyer was caught on video assaulting a bar manager (after he initially denied it and only acknowledged his involvement when there was video evidence) the NRL again left it as a matter for the club.  THE AUSTRALIAN CAPTAIN DID THIS.  

I used to love going to Suncorp or more recently to Skilled to watch not only my beloved Manly but a few times just a rugby league game with some firends from work. After seeing Stewart hanged out to dry by both the NRL and the Media, I feel I must recipricate and stop going to football games and forever not watch a non Manly game on TV.

I say thank you to this website for the continual support of the Manly Sea eagles and providing the fans a place to voice there opinions. The new news feature on the front page has provided myself a good source of information when we needed it most.

Sincerly

Clummo - the clumsiest of all Manly Supporters

Welcome to the Silvertails Clummo.

Quality POST!

Though it seems like old news considering this has been the topic for the last few weeks
'
Welcome to ST

I am of exactly the same opinion No SuncorP or Skilled Stadium, State of Origin etc for me this year, screw em. Only to watch Manly games and if i go to a live game it will be at Brookie, screw the Nrl. May nto mean much to the NRL but i have been a regular for 40 yrs, its a large place in my life, and im not going to give it to them any longer, ive got better things to spend my money on from now on. Thanks NRL, HYPOCRITES.

Good post. You mention the charity work done by Stewart. Living on the beaches I'm aware of the amount of work all the guys do in our local area. Always found it funny that none of this was ever mentioned in the  'Good guys' section for the footy in the DT.

Then again it always seem to be the same teams getting mentioned for their charitable efforts.

Ryno link said:
Good post. You mention the charity work done by Stewart. Living on the beaches I'm aware of the amount of work all the guys do in our local area. Always found it funny that none of this was ever mentioned in the  'Good guys' section for the footy in the DT.

Then again it always seem to be the same teams getting mentioned for their charitable efforts.

That isn't the Tele's fault, it is the clubs. The Tele asks that clubs send their "good guys" info, and some clubs are more proactive about it than others. There is no question that Manly do loads of charity work, as much as any other club, but for example you rarely even see it on Manly's website... The Tele is never going to "chase" a story about Adam Cuthbertson going to a hospital to visit sick kids - it is up to the clubs themselves to spread the good word considering the only result out of it is positive media for the club.

Other disgraceful incidents where double standards have applied:

Ricky Stuart abusing and manhandling the World Cup referee, questioning his integrity and the ARL/NRL gave him the best part of a month to fall on his sword.

Willie Mason - need I say more?

Andrew Johns' drug habit rewarded with team of the century selection.

Has anyone heard a comment from Brad Fittler about all this? Would be interesting given he was found passed out in front of a Police Station during his playing days. I hope he wasn't as stupid as Fatty who has always proudly bragged about his drinking as a player only to turn on Brett Stewart for doing what he probably did every weekend.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6