Dessie’s Dilemma

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Des is the Ultimate competitor and has that genuine love for Manly that fits the rich history and strong club culture.
I will do as the thread says and support him, even with calls I find hard to understand.
But will also have my own opinion that we should give a few talented youngsters a go and I feel an error in judgement, not picking Cust after his MOM the week before.
But a fan of Des, won't bag him, but as a site reserved for opinions, will always call it out as I expect everyone else here to do.

Bagging decisions is not the same as bagging the coach.

Des is the Ultimate competitor and has that genuine love for Manly that fits the rich history and strong club culture.
I will do as the thread says and support him, even with calls I find hard to understand.
But will also have my own opinion that we should give a few talented youngsters a go and I feel an error in judgement, not picking Cust after his MOM the week before.
But a fan of Des, won't bag him, but as a site reserved for opinions, will always call it out as I expect everyone else here to do.
As it should be.
To not have Cust on the bench for Croker was problematic in most punters minds.
Maybe Croker is the preferred utility 14, but I reckon Cust could do no worse.
It would also have allowed Walker to shift to centre if required.
Personally I would have had Cust at 6, Walker at 3, Parker dropped, Funa in/Eliot out
But hey, it’s fun to not to be responsible like Des has to be.
I suppose at least he won’t shirk that responsibility...never has.
Good post!

Couple of bad losses and we get the inevitable;
Des is out of touch
The game has passed Des by
Des doesn’t pick the right players
Manly is outdated
Manly has not adapted to the post Covid game
Des can’t coach anymore
The squad Des selected is hopeless
Manly has no vision
Manly players aren’t trying hard enough
I’m backing Des to get the right answers...our future may well depend on it

and we are slooooow

To not have Cust on the bench for Croker was problematic in most punters minds.
'Most punters' lose, by definition.
As for Cust, I think he's played at least 5 times this year but everyone is hung up on his one starring role. Which I agree was pretty good, but in his other games he had good moments and not so good. Croker has made plenty of clangers too but he got ahead in the pecking order originally by his attitude in defence, so even though I thought Cust would get the 14 last week I don't consider it an obvious error that Des went with Croker.

As for Cust, I think he's played at least 5 times this year but everyone is hung up on his one starring role. Which I agree was pretty good, but in his other games he had good moments and not so good. Croker has made plenty of clangers too but he got ahead in the pecking order originally by his attitude in defence, so even though I thought Cust would get the 14 last week I don't consider it an obvious error that Des went with Croker.
Cust is by no means a Star, has been fairly average, lots of errors.
Early in his career though
Personally, I expected he would be more progressed by now. Bit of Luke Dorn about him
Croker, despite his Clanger mistakes has been fairly solid in defence, but he is just not executing the game plan. Needs to keep it simple

Buck stops with Des but does anyone think Cartwright could be an issue?
Look at our successful years and we have always had a good second in charge guy.
Des obviously has overall control but lets look at the Tbaz years. Carty did what and hes still there. we could really do with a fresh younger guy instead of trying to retrain a mediocre older coach that never had his time in the first place. And yes im referring to Carty and not Des on that last point.

Buck stops with Des but does anyone think Cartwright could be an issue?
Look at our successful years and we have always had a good second in charge guy.
Des obviously has overall control but lets look at the Tbaz years. Carty did what and hes still there. we could really do with a fresh younger guy instead of trying to retrain a mediocre older coach that never had his time in the first place. And yes im referring to Carty and not Des on that last point.
He’s won two premierships as an assistant coach with different teams. I know the cowboys 2015 boys loved him. - and not in the Trent Barrett way lol .

Clutching at straws I reckon to be blaming him.And Des coukd have sacked him if he wanted.

The reason we are struggling is obvious We have a lopsided roster with extreme talent , three of whom are injured,too many reserve graders in top 13, a terrible bench and no speed.

Picking him one week then dropping him the following week can cause all the issues mentioned. If you pick the guy then leave him settle in for a few weeks otherwise he’ll never form a combination with DCE!

Last edited:
Cust is by no means a Star, has been fairly average, lots of errors.
Early in his career though
Personally, I expected he would be more progressed by now. Bit of Luke Dorn about him
Croker, despite his Clanger mistakes has been fairly solid in defence, but he is just not executing the game plan. Needs to keep it simple
Cust needs continuous game time to form combinations not be used as a stop gap measure!!!!!!!

Picking him one week then dropping him the following week can cause all the issues mentioned. If you pick the guy then let leave him settle in for a few weeks otherwise he’ll never form a combination with DCE!
It's not as though Cust won the position on merit. The position was Walker's, Croker got first crack at being the fill-in but fluffed it, then Cust got his chance and did well. As the fill-in for Walker.

With Walker's new injury though, all that might change. Cust has a string of games and a golden opportunity to persuade Des he is a necessary part of the team. His performances can force the issue, if he's good enough. Which he may well be.

It's not rocket science. As it has already been said on this forum we either evolve or we keep getting left behind. I pose this question. If your son was a talented young back would you want him at Manly where he won't get a start or would you want him going to club that is not afraid to blood young stars. Something is is not right within our playing group. One thing is for certain we have lost our self belief and our Mojo over the last month. I am sick and tired of hearing that our young backs are not ready or big enough yet whilst watching other clubs bring youngsters through who are not giants but talented and are having great success. I can't help but wonder what is really going on with our retention and recruitment because some of our re signings have been questionable.

Right now, he is the captain of the ship.
I know it’s a throwaway world, but loyalty to the Captain can never be understated.
The ****er isn't loyal to the boat, another dollar a year onto his current from a rival club and he's gone like a fart in the wind

Bring back Toovey

It's not rocket science. As it has already been said on this forum we either evolve or we keep getting left behind. I pose this question. If your son was a talented young back would you want him at Manly where he won't get a start or would you want him going to club that is not afraid to blood young stars. Something is is not right within our playing group. One thing is for certain we have lost our self belief and our Mojo over the last month. I am sick and tired of hearing that our young backs are not ready or big enough yet whilst watching other clubs bring youngsters through who are not giants but talented and are having great success. I can't help but wonder what is really going on with our retention and recruitment because some of our re signings have been questionable.

I like this post, but I would argue that we have not really had our mojo this year at all. Our wins have been gritty and full of character. But we have not put together a single 80 minute performance all year. This is somewhat to do with the lacj of cohesion with injuries but mainly to do with execution/game plan/urgency and attention to detail

There was much I did not understand about the logic of Barrett's selections and regrettably Des seems to be following the pattern. For some reason they are operating on what seems a strategy of containment, outlasting the opposition through strong defence. They seem reluctant to take the punt on creative players who may not be as solid in defence. The present backline is not much different from Barrett's group, with the same deficiencies. Strong defenders much of the time, safe, but slow and not imaginative. Gutherson, Wright, Hastings. For one reason or another these players were let go, and yet they are the type that make things happen.

Now I realise that with Turbo, Fainu and Walker absent, it creates a dilemma and they are very hard players to replace. But it seems that rather than replace like with like, Barrett and now Des replace them with solid but unimaginative types. Fine, if that's all you've got. But with DCE the only player able to make things happen, its easy to shut him down and predict what options he'll take. Add to that he does an awful lot of defensive work.

Other teams are bringing their young future stars into first grade and they are setting the landscape alight. Des seems disinclined in giving Funa more than an occasional appearance, prefers pedestrian but solid Croker to Cust on the bench and has a potential future star in Schuster twiddling his thumbs on the side lines. I'll take it as gospel that Hopoate is still injured, because he should have been fullback weeks ago if he was fit. There are the developmental squad which should now be eligible in Anderson and Burbo. There's Metcalf and Miski Now some of these guys may not be good enough, but where is the risk, when the existing backline is not functioning. And not having a playmaker to support DCE is hard to fathom, if they have Cust and Schuster.

Des is playing it in my opinion far to conservatively and trying to maintain a holding pattern until Turbo returns. I think this is a judgement flaw. Its time to experiment. bring on the next generation. Otherwise this season is gone.

Often both arguments here are right.

A coach should back his players. There also comes a time when hard decisions need to be made. A time when young blood needs an opportunity and old heads need new challenges to develop and progress.

Covid and the rule changes have changed the game. Like it or not the reduced season is more than half over and we are at a point where it is time to blood some kids and start preparing for 2021.

Mate ... a couple of years ago ... DCE kicked a ball out on the full .... and bugger me sideways .... blokes on here were blaming the coach for it .... Dessie is still on his honeymoon as far as blame is concerned .... but wait for a few more losses for the ferals to come out and start blaming him for everything from the price of sausage rolls to Suli's haircut ....
Is he to blame for suli's haircut?? Hmmm

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4