Dessie’s Dilemma

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEaglez

Reserve Grader
Couple of bad losses and we get the inevitable;
Des is out of touch
The game has passed Des by
Des doesn’t pick the right players
Manly is outdated
Manly has not adapted to the post Covid game
Des can’t coach anymore
The squad Des selected is hopeless
Manly has no vision
Manly players aren’t trying hard enough
I’m backing Des to get the right answers...our future may well depend on it

Last edited:
Why are you backing him? Blind faith? He has shown his hand his entire coaching career When under pressure, and all it has in it is the same tried and true, and in this instance, failed combinations and unwarranted faith in players who have shown they ain’t got it.
Right now, he is the captain of the ship.
I know it’s a throwaway world, but loyalty to the Captain can never be understated.

I may criticise his selection policy, but I know Des is one of the best coaches in the game. He does seem though to have some blind spots. But he is a quality coach and I just hope someone is getting into his ear telling him, that being too conservative, leads to predictability and becoming an easy prey. He needs to make a couple of decisions that may upset his top grade players, but could stimulate what looks a tired and pedestrian side.

I agree with that, I’m a des fan.

thr truth is, we haven’t looked like a well drilled, well functioning team all year. Sure we have had some gritty wins. But the problems we have, have been there all year and he hasn’t done much to fix them.

complacency in the squad is a big issue, the only way you fix it is through accountability and making people earn there spot by meeting expectations

There's a fine line between being reactionary and being stubborn.

Players need to have some loyalty shown to them but Des can't allow them to become complacent. Which I think he has a tendency to do. Drop someone every now and then Des.

At some stage in this competition injuries will force Des to take a chance on a young player. The longer he leaves it the harder it will be for a debutant to make the most of his chance because he will have been out of match practice for so long.
In my opinion he must bite the bullet this week.

I understand the hesitance to pitchfork a player with zero NSW Cup matches straight into the NRL side. There's a real risk of them not being physically ready.

But Anderson has played a fair bit against men. Is he really incapable of doing what Jorge does ?
We could use the height on the wing.

Couple of bad losses and we get the inevitable;
Des is out of touch
The game has passed Des by
Des doesn’t pick the right players
Manly is outdated
Manly has not adapted to the post Covid game
Des can’t coach anymore
The squad Des selected is hopeless
Manly has no vision
Manly players aren’t trying hard enough
I’m backing Des to get the right answers...our future may well depend on it

Mate ... a couple of years ago ... DCE kicked a ball out on the full .... and bugger me sideways .... blokes on here were blaming the coach for it .... Dessie is still on his honeymoon as far as blame is concerned .... but wait for a few more losses for the ferals to come out and start blaming him for everything from the price of sausage rolls to Suli's haircut ....

I understand the hesitance to pitchfork a player with zero NSW Cup matches straight into the NRL side. There's a real risk of them not being physically ready.

But Anderson has played a fair bit against men. Is he really incapable of doing what Jorge does ?
We could use the height on the wing.

Anderson is listed as 180cm and 83kg on the Sea Eagles website, so not a big guy by modern NRL standards.

Taufua is taller and about 20kg heavier.

This was from a story (below) by Scott Bailey after the Manly -Dragons game. I don’t know what to think of it, Doc Brown in Back to the future, maybe?

“Hasler also indicated he would continue experimenting with his spine while his main men are out, after Brendan Elliot played fullback and Cade Cust five-eighth on Sunday night.”

Last edited:
Anderson is listed as 180cm and 83kg on the Sea Eagles website, so not a big guy by modern NRL standards.

Taufua is taller and about 20kg heavier.

That surprises me. I'm betting Anderson is quicker though.
He's played NSW Cup. I'd give him a crack.

Mate ... a couple of years ago ... DCE kicked a ball out on the full .... and bugger me sideways .... blokes on here were blaming the coach for it .... Dessie is still on his honeymoon as far as blame is concerned .... but wait for a few more losses for the ferals to come out and start blaming him for everything from the price of sausage rolls to Suli's haircut ....
blaming him for everything from the price of sausage rolls to Suli's haircut ....
Classic LOL

If you think our backs are getting rag-dolled now, wait till Anderson carts it up. There is not much of him. He will rag-dolled into the back of the carpark.

I can't say I wasn't disappointed when I saw Dylan run out instead of Cade. He achieved man of the match last week and then found himself completely dropped. We'll lose him if Des doesn't make those hard decisions.

If you think our backs are getting rag-dolled now, wait till Anderson carts it up. There is not much of him. He will rag-dolled into the back of the carpark.

He's actually a tough cuss when he gets his mind on the job. He wont be pushed around easily and if he is he'll react. Seen him do it in the juniors. Needs to be slapped a few times before the game to get him fully motivated. Where's Roy Masters?

I can't say I wasn't disappointed when I saw Dylan run out instead of Cade. He achieved man of the match last week and then found himself completely dropped. We'll lose him if Des doesn't make those hard decisions.
The Descision* is easy this week with Walker out. Hoping and praying that Cust kills it while Walker is out and he makes it impossible to drop him again.
*decision made by Des.

Des is the Ultimate competitor and has that genuine love for Manly that fits the rich history and strong club culture.
I will do as the thread says and support him, even with calls I find hard to understand.
But will also have my own opinion that we should give a few talented youngsters a go and I feel an error in judgement, not picking Cust after his MOM the week before.
But a fan of Des, won't bag him, but as a site reserved for opinions, will always call it out as I expect everyone else here to do.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4