Des's Bizarro Selections

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
A point lost in this argument:

Would you rather have Anthony Griffin as the coach, or Manly club great Hasler, who as coach has delivered the club two premierships?
But he did also tear the club apart immediately after our 2011 premiership and hasn’t tasted a premiership in over a decade…

I love that Dessie is a Manly bloke.

Just think he’s falling behind.
Then gradually destroyed C-B as a premiership force for years to come.

Well played Des. Well played.

Lawton has never played 5/8 in the top grade. Not sure about juniors
You are correct. He hasn't played five eighth in the NRL, but half & five eighth was his QLD Cup background.

IMO Foran at hooker is not too far off the other bizzare selections! He's never played hooker before
Foran is a half. Both Toovey & Monaghan successfully transitioned to dummy half. IMO, Walker's best positions are centre, five eighth & roaming middle. I don't think he has the game to play well in other positions.

Yes... totally crazy suggestion - Foran to Hooker and change the whole dynamic on that right sight.
I contend that team balance & game plan could have been maintained best with Foran 9 & Schuster 6. Walker could have fulfilled his usual dynamic role from the bench & given Foran a spell when needed. Some say that Schuster wasn't fit enough to play 6, but he made 33 tackles playing in the back row. In the last two years Schuster has played three games at 6 for at total of three wins!

You need to get out more.
Probably all of us who spend a lot of time in this forum need to get out a bit more :)

Last edited:
You are correct. He hasn't played five eighth in the NRL, but half & five eighth was his QLD Cup background.

Foran is a half. Both Toovey & Monaghan successfully transitioned to dummy half. IMO, Walker's best positions are centre, five eighth & roaming middle. I don't think he has the game to play well in other positions.

I contend that team balance & game plan could have been maintained best with Foran 9 & Schuster 6. Walker could have fulfilled his usual dynamic role from the bench & given Foran a spell when needed. Some say that Schuster wasn't fit enough to play 6, but he made 33 tackles playing in the back row. In the last two years Schuster has played three games at 6 for at total of three wins!

Probably all of us who spend a lot of time in this forum need to get out a bit more :)
I think Des did exactly the right thing with the right selections...the problem wasn't the selections - errors and a complete lack of direction in that second half killed us and Schuster certainly wouldn't have given us that direction we needed.

I think Des did exactly the right thing with the right selections...
As it turned out, we played with 14.5 men (Haumole wounded) for most of the match. Wouldn't it have been better to have another forward on the bench rather than Weekes? (with Dylan maintaining his usual bench role) Regardless, the loss supports my proposition re Des's left field (bizarro) selections.

As I mentioned in another post, we were very unlucky to lose three players to covid so close to game day. The team didn't play well enough to cope with this.

I’ve never really rated DeLuis(not that my opinion carries any weight nor would he be too concerned about my thoughts)but given the conditions and the two workhorses that were ruled,he may of been just what the team needed.I know it’s only reggies but he regularly plays big minutes there so I suspect he has a fair tank.
DeLuxe is a worker, in more ways than one. He would have provided a 'similar' defensive mindset which we missed through Jurbo's unavailable. Why DESpicable keeps picking Keppie who has been a major disappointment for the past two seasons is beyond me. He only plays for short minutes and always makes errors.
Frankly, DeLuxe should have been on the bench instead of Weekes. Our backline was intact; we were missing three of of best defensive forwards yet DESpicable picks a fullback-5/8?
If we'd had a backline injury it would have been covered by Walker, Burbo or The Shoe.
This dumb selection certainly contributed to the team's performance.

As it turned out, we played with 14.5 men (Haumole wounded) for most of the match. Wouldn't it have been better to have another forward on the bench rather than Weekes? (with Dylan maintaining his usual bench role) Regardless, the loss supports my proposition re Des's left field (bizarro) selections.

As I mentioned in another post, we were very unlucky to lose three players to covid so close to game day. The team didn't play well enough to cope with this.
a game absolutely slaughtered in that second half and a game we could not afford to lose

The refereeing very much favoured St George and we lost half our forward pack to Covid before the match and then half of it again to injuries as the match unfolded. Yes they lost their fullback but the wet weather helped keep our backs out of it too. All things considered we really had buckleys of winning that one, and even then had a couple of extra things gone our way we could have just snuck a win out.
I'm not too worried after that loss but it did our chances of making the 8 no favours.

A good list there. Some of my favourites:

• Cust man of the match vs Cowboys round 11 2020 and dropped the next week
  • Olakau’atu best Manly player on field vs Warriors round 13 2020, didn’t start another game all year and stuck behind Corey Waddell and Jack Gosiewski (!!!)
  • Harper back in from COVID vs Talakai after we’d won 4 on the trot and Koula was starting to establish himself
  • Paseka being ignored this year behind two net negatives for the team (Marty + Keppie)
  • Bullemor starting as an edge second rower to start the season despite being a middle his whole career. Has not been sighted since despite being our only off season signing

As much as people don’t want to admit it, we will never win a comp under Des again and worst of all, will continue to be a treadmill team so the pressure will never build and mediocrity will become something we need to accept.
I think we're already at the stage of accepting mediocrity, it's become the norm, when was the last time any of us felt confident in our structures especially in defence, I don't think the prospect of playing us causes alarm with anyone we're listed to play

Agree.

We started very slowly & the Dragons were more up for it more than us. Roosters should be favourites on Thursday night. Hopefully, the missing three will be back.
Boys on Fox said, reports are Jake wouldn’t be playing, I hope there wrong. Chooks are 1.70 Fav’s at present.

I think we're already at the stage of accepting mediocrity, it's become the norm, when was the last time any of us felt confident in our structures especially in defence, I don't think the prospect of playing us causes alarm with anyone we're listed to play
Ron, the worst thing is, you are correct.
In saying that, that is no excuse for us numpty fans to give up calling on the football club to provide us with a team to support.
WE are Manly, WE, the people, are Manly Warringah.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10