Des Hasler!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Can't see Des back every tenure comes to an end. I would be surprised if Des gets another head coaching gig. He last two departures have been difficult and expensive for the clubs. I expect that will be a red flag for most clubs.

Every chance he’ll pop up again. There will be some desperate clubs out there and coaching stocks are thin. I’m also not sold on this narrative that all these young assistant coaches at successful clubs will transpire to the next best head coach. Could def see Des at a club like Newcastle after O’Brien gets punted - which he will prob in the next 12mths I reckon.

Every chance he’ll pop up again. There will be some desperate clubs out there and coaching stocks are thin. I’m also not sold on this narrative that all these young assistant coaches at successful clubs will transpire to the next best head coach. Could def see Des at a club like Newcastle after O’Brien gets punted - which he will prob in the next 12mths I reckon.
If, big if, we can serve the drug cheats up on Sunday, even by a point, I think O’Brien will be under huge pressure to hold his job, I’d say his the next coach to go, he will be extremely lucky to see the year out, they are a couple of losses from a total mess.

Do the sides getting the bye this week get 2 points?

Looking at the ladder the Eels and the Cows would be on 12 points with their bye, if the dogs get 2 this week with the split round (that’s the question above) they’d go to 12, we win and the Knights stay on 11 points and drop to 15th, 3rd last sounds better, O’Brien’s definitely under the pump, drive the sword in boys, the result is equally as huge for us, only in a more positive way, let’s go.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Will step back from this discussion.
Just so you know I can't remember what I had for lunch today let alone a discussion on this subject where we butted heads from way back.
I guess now that @Ryan and myself have been getting on so well I'm just busting for a scrap. Will choose my next one more carefully.

Hold my beer ...

I was only wondering the other day, I wonder what a sacked coach like Des does now?

Do they watch footy intently and plot their next role?
Do they just take it easy and reset?
He's not the media type so a commentary or analyst role ala Flanno doesn't seem on the cards.

If he's as intense and proud as he comes across, I see him popping up somewhere, does he have a target?
Super League perhaps, the pressure isn't as great as the NRL.

If, big if, we can serve the drug cheats up on Sunday, even by a point, I think O’Brien will be under huge pressure to hold his job, I’d say his the next coach to go, he will be extremely lucky to see the year out, they are a couple of losses from a total mess.

Do the sides getting the bye this week get 2 points?

Looking at the ladder the Eels and the Cows would be on 12 points with their bye, if the dogs get 2 this week with the split round (that’s the question above) they’d go to 12, we win and the Knights stay on 11 points and drop to 15th, 3rd last sounds better, O’Brien’s definitely under the pump, drive the sword in boys, the result is equally as huge for us, only in a more positive way, let’s go.
Agree, AOB next cab off the rank..

Can't see Des back every tenure comes to an end. I would be surprised if Des gets another head coaching gig. He last two departures have been difficult and expensive for the clubs. I expect that will be a red flag for most clubs.
Agreed - a fan of Des and what he done for Manly during some successful times, problem was he never adjusted to the modern game and still coached by what worked in 2008...

Titans,Tigers or Newcastle could potentially be Haslers new home since those clubs will more than likely sack their coach.

Penn finally pisses off, Toovey into a driving seat in the back office, welcome back Desmond ;)
Haha you never know. I will be honest Seibold showed nothing too much so far, in typical Penn fashion he will continue to move deck chairs. Toovey, Barrett, Hasler, Seibold

Agreed - a fan of Des and what he done for Manly during some successful times, problem was he never adjusted to the modern game and still coached by what worked in 2008...
On first glance I kind of nodded in agreeance with this. But when I really put a few seconds of thought to that idea, I think it's a little bit of a stigma hanging around from the sluggish end to his days at the Bulldogs.

I think he was always the type of coach to let his team develop their own style based on the strengths present in their playing squad, so I don't really think his teams were ever really identical in style.

On reflection he was also still pretty keen to innovate. i.e the way he played Dylan Walker kind of kickstarted the prevalence of the 'super-sub' bench-half we see today (playing @ lock). There's also the infamous short-drop out tactic which the Bulldogs went at relentlessly in 2017 (spoken about below)

"The Bulldogs' short drop-out tactic has divided opinion and surprised many commentators, but coach Des Hasler is onto a winner and the statistics prove it.
The Bulldogs have had 18 dropouts this season and got the ball back seven times, at a strike rate of 38.8 per cent. Not bad when every other team gives the ball back 100 per cent of the time.
The added benefit for the Bulldogs is that when they don't get the ball back, their defence is not working any harder than it absolutely has to. There is no running out 50 metres and then retreating as the set goes on. They are able to stand on their line and rush out.
NRL teams are more than happy to give away multiple penalties on their own line and the only difference with this tactic is that it gives them a chance to get the ball back.
The modern game has evolved, and it's only a matter of when, not if, other coaches adopt the tactic. Once it catches on, we'll wonder why the long drop-out ever existed, like kicking duels."

Definitely could argue his squad at the dogs got stale, but as for manly 2019-2022, we had a pretty young team that was willing to play with some adventure and flair. I think we obviously lacked a good dummy half with Fainu's situation though which - together with injury - tended to hold us a tier lower than we could have been (provided the big $$ players stayed fit)

Haha you never know. I will be honest Seibold showed nothing too much so far, in typical Penn fashion he will continue to move deck chairs. Toovey, Barrett, Hasler, Seibold
All things coming up toovey in about 1.5 years time

On first glance I kind of nodded in agreeance with this. But when I really put a few seconds of thought to that idea, I think it's a little bit of a stigma hanging around from the sluggish end to his days at the Bulldogs.

I think he was always the type of coach to let his team develop their own style based on the strengths present in their playing squad, so I don't really think his teams were ever really identical in style.

On reflection he was also still pretty keen to innovate. i.e the way he played Dylan Walker kind of kickstarted the prevalence of the 'super-sub' bench-half we see today (playing @ lock). There's also the infamous short-drop out tactic which the Bulldogs went at relentlessly in 2017 (spoken about below)

"The Bulldogs' short drop-out tactic has divided opinion and surprised many commentators, but coach Des Hasler is onto a winner and the statistics prove it.
The Bulldogs have had 18 dropouts this season and got the ball back seven times, at a strike rate of 38.8 per cent. Not bad when every other team gives the ball back 100 per cent of the time.
The added benefit for the Bulldogs is that when they don't get the ball back, their defence is not working any harder than it absolutely has to. There is no running out 50 metres and then retreating as the set goes on. They are able to stand on their line and rush out.
NRL teams are more than happy to give away multiple penalties on their own line and the only difference with this tactic is that it gives them a chance to get the ball back.
The modern game has evolved, and it's only a matter of when, not if, other coaches adopt the tactic. Once it catches on, we'll wonder why the long drop-out ever existed, like kicking duels."

Definitely could argue his squad at the dogs got stale, but as for manly 2019-2022, we had a pretty young team that was willing to play with some adventure and flair. I think we obviously lacked a good dummy half with Fainu's situation though which - together with injury - tended to hold us a tier lower than we could have been (provided the big $$ players stayed fit)
When you look at what he had to work with in terms of roster quality and depth when compared to the riches of talent under Bennett (Knights and Dolphins being the exception), Bellamy, and Robinson, Hasler will go down as one of the greatest innovators of this generation of rugby league coaches.

From the ashes of the Northern Eagles to the bottom dwelling Bulldogs of 2010-11, the Barett debacle, Des always inherited the very bottom, and without exception, took each of these squads to top 4, gfs, and even premierships.

People say he went stale and didn't evolve, but this is simply untrue. The differences in tactics between the 2019 Manly team and that of 2021 is a great example of Des reinventing in rapid time as a response to key personnel and NRL rule changes - within 12 months, and the same core of players, we played a completely different game in almost every sense. Also, Des was one of, if not the, first coaches to employ his halves to run a left or right corridor, as well as the ball playing forwards moving the ball in the middle third. Calves blood, mind coaches, pre-loosening door hinges for dramatic effect, gps tech at training, and let's not forget his passion for stats when the tech started to present itself. The man has always been a deadset legendary innovator, and if given the opportunity, would continue to evolve - as champions do

They don't call him the mad scientist for nothing

When you look at what he had to work with in terms of roster quality and depth when compared to the riches of talent under Bennett (Knights and Dolphins being the exception), Bellamy, and Robinson, Hasler will go down as one of the greatest innovators of this generation of rugby league coaches.

From the ashes of the Northern Eagles to the bottom dwelling Bulldogs of 2010-11, the Barett debacle, Des always inherited the very bottom, and without exception, took each of these squads to top 4, gfs, and even premierships.

People say he went stale and didn't evolve, but this is simply untrue. The differences in tactics between the 2019 Manly team and that of 2021 is a great example of Des reinventing in rapid time as a response to key personnel and NRL rule changes - within 12 months, and the same core of players, we played a completely different game in almost every sense. Also, Des was one of, if not the, first coaches to employ his halves to run a left or right corridor, as well as the ball playing forwards moving the ball in the middle third. Calves blood, mind coaches, pre-loosening door hinges for dramatic effect, gps tech at training, and let's not forget his passion for stats when the tech started to present itself. The man has always been a deadset legendary innovator, and if given the opportunity, would continue to evolve - as champions do

They don't call him the mad scientist for nothing
Des was, is, and always will be an absolute club legend despite what the sausage roll eaters, entitled members, part time fans, and Contiki tour organisers say. One only has to look at how our owners have treated Toovey and many others after Des to formulate an educated guess about what went on during the 2011 season.

It was widely reported that there were issues in getting Des to re sign long before our GF win in 2011. The problems were because Penn and co decided it was a good idea to stick performance clauses in the contract of a coach who was in the process of overseeing our most successful run since the 1970's. I wonder if Melbourne felt the need to impose any similar measures on Bellamy?

The emails @Mark from Brisbane has alluded to, were also reported after everything went down. The fact our club decided to show personal emails from Des to a dude who organised supporter tours says a oot about the pathetic leadership model we are still under. Can you imagine Politis doing that?

Des will forever be etched into the rich history of Manly's success. The rest of us are just a bunch of supporters who occasionally get to go along on a premiership winning ride. Our importance to the club is often magnified inside our own minds.

The most innovative thing he ever did in the game was use his forwards as ball players. It developed throughout the 2012 season and was highly successful. The game has always had ball playing forwards but they were usually the lean and athletic types (and usually only one player in a pack) that would pass occasionally if the option presented itself. Des on the other hand, was the guy that got all his forwards ball playing as a pack, even the big front rowers, and it was part of the team’s actual structure in attack.

It changed the way the game is played and the influence is still felt today.

I think of him as a very innovative coach and I don’t think he ever got stale (the Walker example you point out), he just wasn’t winning as many games. You can be innovative and still lose.

End of the day everyone is flawed to an extent. I started following this great club as a 9 year old in 86 and for me there were 2 coaches that have defined this club.

Bob Fulton and Des Hasler.

Both men were driven and brilliant in their own ways while bordering on obsessive compulsive in their drive for success.

Say what you will about 2011 but for this supporter Des will always be a legend in both stints here. And from my point of view where I sit he was shafted each time by the powers that be.

Not may coaches have had to put up with the same amount of noise from the background and still be successful. From snakes court case to Manese to collecting Dylan Walker from the watchouse after his DV issues, like a father his players generally loved him so a bit of loyalty back to then was never a huge issue for me.

Young players always got their shot if they were ready and willing.

Blaming the coach is NRL . Oh man its jus sheltering insecure players

when the teams culture was strong, full of smarts and competitotrs back in the last glory era

we changed coaches from des to tooves, lost a stack of talent but still went pretty good because we had the culture.

Then we ate our babies and killed the culture on and off the field

When we changed coaches through barret, des again and siebs , the culture and results and the sloppy style of play are consistent regardless of coaches. Since then those overseeing the culture have failed and will continue to do so until we add major contributions to our game that isnt a coach.

a bellamy or bennet would just be comfortable enough and secure enough to ensure accountability, and be more powerful than the squad, which has been our problem. The acceptance of mediocrity by our leadership on field, and the coaches have all beeen victims in that part of there demise

swing back a decade the coaches were beneficiaries of the culture, the team made coaches. No doubt coaches add enormous value but the desire to challenge your opposite has to be there . Our team needs and overhaul, not a new mechanic

des and manly was never the issue though , DES and penn,

need to be careful. Evidence on paper-and what's right and wrong can often be miles apart. The journey is always part of the battle and only found in a complete discovery process. it was reported Manly looked at pursuing damages but didnt , maybe there were more examples that supported different outcomes. stuff looks bad in isolation,

des, dce, foz, all sold there souls elsewhere and returned.because life at manly sucked
all are treated differently, no doubt des has been the most influential in that time
all were lured back by offers they could not refuse. Nothing less

my opinion, loving most of the others, tolerating a few, ignored a couple , yawned through a bit. choice…..mine.

The most innovative thing he ever did in the game was use his forwards as ball players. It developed throughout the 2012 season and was highly successful. The game has always had ball playing forwards but they were usually the lean and athletic types (and usually only one player in a pack) that would pass occasionally if the option presented itself. Des on the other hand, was the guy that got all his forwards ball playing as a pack, even the big front rowers, and it was part of the team’s actual structure in attack.

It changed the way the game is played and the influence is still felt today.

I think of him as a very innovative coach and I don’t think he ever got stale (the Walker example you point out), he just wasn’t winning as many games. You can be innovative and still lose.
I think you will find ball playing forwards were around long before Des. Arthur Beetson was probably the first to "revolutionise' this role. Also our own Malcolm Reilly was a fantastic ball player. Some of the POMS of yesteryear had great hands and ball playing abilities. Des had his brilliant moments but this was not one of them.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4