Des Hasler Forever a Manly Legend

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasler left at the end of the 93 and 96 seasons because of salary cap pressures - pure and simple. He would have been very handy to have around in 97, especially after Sedaris was sent off prior to the GF.

I saw a Noel Cleal with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walking through the streets of Padstow in the rain
He was looking for a place called Lee Ho Fook's
Gonna get a big dish of beef chow mein

Well, I saw Des Hasler walking with Todd Green----
Doing the Bulldogs of Bankstown
I saw Des Hasler walking with Todd Green----
Doing the Bulldogs of Bankstown
I saw Des Hasler drinking a pina colada at Canterbury Leagues
And his hair was perfect

WAMF said:
lsz said:
So we have all settled on des being in the wrong then
Everyone but you ;)

Nope I am just not that quick to think that the club did not play a part in his depature. I am not talking about what has happened since rather the circumstances before hand

Ramrod said:
Aetna said:
Des took a group of men of which the majority were unwanted players at other clubs like the Eels & Dragons & made them into internationals/Rep, Premiership winners. He gave me & every Manly fan so much joy. He is a legend to me. Stop believing everything you read in The Telegraph etc. How many players have followed Des to the Bulldogs? Not a single player.

I think you are giving him too much credit.
Scouts got him the players.
Why do you think he took so many staffers along with him?
If he was so confident of his own ability, he won't need anybody else.
Yes the scouts did their job to find him players. I think thats what scouts usually do.
My point is that the majority of these players were noboby's when these scouts brought them to Hasler. T-Rex was at Parramatta. The Wolfman was at Parramatta. Matt Ballin was at the Brisbane Broncos. Joe Galuvao was not wanted at Parramatta. George Rose was at the Roosters. The Stewart brothers were not good enough for the Dragons. They were not good enough at their previous clubs. Joe Galuvao had 1 or 2 good seasons at Penrith along with Lyons & Kite were the only exeptions. They had done well at their previous clubs. William Hopoate, Daly Cherry-Evans, Kieran Foran, Darcy Lussick, Michael Oldfield, Dean Whare etc were given a chance in first grade as teenagers.

He deserves all the credit, but I still hope he fails at the Bulldogs.

I think the credit is split between him, crusher and Donny Singe, he had strats,Cleal found players and Donny made them the fittest guys around

Phoenix said:
Question, why did Hasler leave to play for wests in 97 after winning a grandfinal in 96?

Is Haslers departure for Canterbury pay back for Manly giving him the ass after the 96 grandfinal?
In fact he had retired but the Western Suburbs Magpies talked him out of retirement for one more season in 1997. There was two competions in 1997. The ARL had 12 teams & the Super League had 10 teams, so players were needed to fill up the positions of 22 teams. Manly did to Hasler (Wests) what they had done to Bob Fulton (Easts), Paul Vautin (Easts) & Steve Manzies (Bradford) in releasing them one season before their expiry date to free up money for the club or Salary Cap these days.

Aetna said:
Ramrod said:
Aetna said:
Des took a group of men of which the majority were unwanted players at other clubs like the Eels & Dragons & made them into internationals/Rep, Premiership winners. He gave me & every Manly fan so much joy. He is a legend to me. Stop believing everything you read in The Telegraph etc. How many players have followed Des to the Bulldogs? Not a single player.

Yes the scouts did their job to find him players. I think thats what scouts usually do.
My point is that the majority of these players were noboby's when these scouts brought them to Hasler. T-Rex was at Parramatta. The Wolfman was at Parramatta. Matt Ballin was at the Brisbane Broncos. Joe Galuvao was not wanted at Parramatta. George Rose was at the Roosters. The Stewart brothers were not good enough for the Dragons. They were not good enough at their previous clubs. Joe Galuvao had 1 or 2 good seasons at Penrith along with Lyons & Kite were the only exeptions. They had done well at their previous clubs. William Hopoate, Daly Cherry-Evans, Kieran Foran, Darcy Lussick, Michael Oldfield, Dean Whare etc were given a chance in first grade as teenagers.

TRex we paid a big sum for and they wanted him but not at the price we paid for him

Hasler was nowhere near the player tooves was,when tooves wasn't scoring or setting up tries he was taking on forwards head on.
For me the guts tooves had des had none of it.

That is a bit tough on hasler PSE - as a player he had plenty of ticker and he never shirked a tackle or a hit up.

Both he and Tooves were magnificient players for us.

eagles2win said:
Aetna said:
Ramrod said:
Aetna said:

TRex we paid a big sum for and they wanted him but not at the price we paid for him
You still don't get it. Hasler seems to get the best out of players. Why didn't the Parramatta coach get the best out of him? He has won a Premiership & is a international now. Wayne Bennett told Matt Ballin that he will never play in the NRL when he was in the Brisbane Broncos lower grades.
We are becoming spoiled little kids. The Manly board delayed signing him because of their ego's & Hasler was probably sick & tired of this going on while his trying to coach the team. In the past Hasler was patient & when he received offers laughable compared to what other teams offered, he had no choice to sign because the other teams couldn't wait any longer. It was game by the Manly board to keep him at Manly without paying him what a coach whom won a Premiership in 2008 & was on the way to another was worth.

You've also got the wrong newspaper.
If it wasn't for the Sun Herald, publishing the emails, De$ would have pursued the legal action against us. If those emails weren't aired, a lot of folks would still be on his side. Those emails revealed to us what an egomaniac, liar and backstabber he is.

I never saw the "emails" anywhere?? Do you have a link?

Aetna said:
eagles2win said:
Aetna said:
Ramrod said:
Aetna said:

You still don't get it. Hasler seems to get the best out of players. Why didn't the Parramatta coach get the best out of him? He has won a Premiership & is a international now. Wayne Bennett told Matt Ballin that he will never play in the NRL when he was in the Brisbane Broncos lower grades.
We are becoming spoiled little kids. The Manly board delayed signing him because of their ego's & Hasler was probably sick & tired of this going on while his trying to coach the team. In the past Hasler was patient & when he received offers laughable compared to what other teams offered, he had no choice to sign because the other teams couldn't wait any longer. It was game by the Manly board to keep him at Manly without paying him what a coach whom won a Premiership in 2008 & was on the way to another was worth.

TRex started playing with us in 2009 right.
He played for Tonga in the 2008 world cup so therefore he was an international before we got him (although for a minnow country but still an international)

eagles2win said:
Aetna said:
eagles2win said:
Aetna said:
Ramrod said:

TRex started playing with us in 2009 right.
He played for Tonga in the 2008 world cup so therefore he was an international before we got him (although for a minnow country but still an international)

Depends what you mean by 'got him' . He signed midway through 2008, before he became an international, but didn't play for Manly until 2009.

[/quote]

It was game by the Manly board to keep him at Manly without paying him what a coach whom won a Premiership in 2008 & was on the way to another was worth.

[/quote]

How do you know months in advance that they are on the way to another premiership?
You can't make an offer as early as May, that would take into consideration what he achieves in October. 2009 and 2010 were both poor seasons by Manly's standards and they were the two most recent seasons they could take into account when making an offer.

I don't know about anyone else but I really want to read anymore about dessie and his deserters, regardless of the circumstances or who was to blame.

I only want to look forward to a new era under Toovey and his coaching staff.

Earnie the Eagle said:
I don't know about anyone else but I really want to read anymore about dessie and his deserters, regardless of the circumstances or who was to blame.

I only want to look forward to a new era under Toovey and his coaching staff.
That's right Earnie. New Year coming up, time marches on. Old father Des has had his day, time to focus on whats to come.

The values of a legend are always judged differently by each individual, but for mine he fits more into the catagory of a traitor who was blessed with a quality roster of players.
Regardless of the 2012 results Toovey is already well ahead on legend status in my books & 1 thing for sure - he would never betray Manly players or fans - nor would any true Manly legend.
Time to let it go & move ahead - happy days in 2012!! ;)

The thing about Des was,that he was supposedly fiercely protective and loyal to his players. He expected the same from them in return. It was us against them.

But as soon as the $$$ were put in front if him his morals disappeared. He lied and strung the club along for months having already signed with the Scumdogs.

Then he was going to take legal action against the club. Thankfully the emails surfaced, and he decided to scrap legal action because he thought it was in the best interests of the club to move forward.

His status as a Manly legend has well and truly been revoked.

If these arseholes keep treating the game as a business there won't be a game. If I want to watch a business I'll stand outside a shop. Loyalty must count for something!

Anyway, there I go again getting pissed off over something thats finished, so I'll pull my head in.

Moondog said:
If these arseholes keep treating the game as a business there won't be a game. If I want to watch a business I'll stand outside a shop. Loyalty must count for something!

Anyway, there I go again getting pissed off over something thats finished, so I'll pull my head in.

In 1976 or 1984 the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles player had jobs like Sales Reps, Police Officers, School Teachers, Garbo's, Doctors etc & also player footy (rugby league) on the weekends & trained 2 or 3 times a week. These days it's their full-time job. You can go watch teams like Belrose play if you don't like the sport becoming professional.

I think it's time to stop talking about Des for 10 or so years! :) Now is not the time to judge whether he's a legend of MW or not... let plenty of time pass, tempers cool & wounds heal before judgement is passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4