Delmege in for the long haul

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SilentBob

Bencher
Delmege in for the long haul
ADAM LUCIUS
03aug05

MANLY owner Max Delmege emerged from a tense stand-off with the club yesterday to pledge his ongoing financial support for the Sea Eagles, declaring: ``I'm in for the long haul.''

Delmege's show of loyalty comes after a meeting with Manly powerbroker Ken Arthurson, coach Des Hasler and executive chairman Paul Cummings on Monday in which Delmege's role at the club was questioned.

Hasler and Cummings asked Delmege not to involve himself in player retention and recruitment in the wake of the Michael Monaghan and John Hopoate sagas.

There was a risk the move could prompt Delmege, who has forked out $8 million over four years to ensure Manly's survival, to walk away.

But when asked yesterday if he would remain a financial backer, the millionaire real estate developer said: ``Definitely, no question about it.

``I'm in for the long haul.

``I don't give up - either in football or in property.

``It's the love of my life outside of my family. I'll ensure Manly stays at the forefront (of the competition).

``I'm not going anywhere.''

Meanwhile Manly coach Des Hasler is claiming a ``small victory'' after meeting with referees' boss Robert Finch and leading whistleblower Steve Clark over Sunday's contentious loss to the Cowboys.

Hasler said Clark admitted Manly goalkicker Chris Hicks should have been given more time to get back onside for the kick-off which led to North Queensland getting the ball back and scoring a late try.

The Sea Eagles also believe Matt Bowen knocked-on in the play leading up to the Cowboys' match-winning try.

``He (Clark) did say that he should have given Hicks another two or three seconds to get back, but my question is why didn't he just call time off?'' Hasler said last night.

``We had a small victory there and we're still debating the Bowen knock-on.

``They want to see more camera angles but I can tell you it's a knock-on.''

Back-rower Sam Harris has been shifted to five-eighth for Sunday's vital encounter with Brisbane at Brookvale Oval.

Regular pivot Michael Witt remains in Premier League despite kicking six goals in reserves last weekend.

Goalkicking proved vital in the Sea Eagles' two-point loss to the Cowboys with stand-in kicker Luke Williamson landing just one from four.

Manly risk dropping out of the top eight for the first time this season if they lose to the table-topping Broncos.

Brisbane belted Manly 38-12 back in round eight, ending the Sea Eagles' bright start to the season.

Broncos skipper Darren Lockyer will definitely play on Sunday despite being concussed in his side's last-up win over Canberra.

Lets hope things change within the club. Best option Max keeps out of contracts etc and Dessie and co stay at the club.

Max is good for revving the Manly fans up and getting them involved, he should stick to the good news stories!

SB I will be putting the submit news link back up this week.

Feel free to submit these articles to us in the future

Despite the criticism Max has got on here I can't say enough how grateful I am for his money and his passion for Manly. I spoke to Max after a great early season victory and the pride and emotion he had made feel fantastic and he is the sort of person you want involved with the club. I sincerely hope that this has all been worked out and they get together as a team from now on.

I spotted the Bowen knock on while trying to play the ball in real time and shouted like crazy. They never showed a replay of it though and the commentators didn't even mention it.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4