Deliberately missed penalty

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Good on the young fella, obviously has good values and role models.

While on the topic of sportsmanship, what did you think of Ashwin’s Mankad of Buttler in the IPL?

I am personally all for taking every legal advantage in sport but that was seriously poor form imho.

Good on the young fella, obviously has good values and role models.

While on the topic of sportsmanship, what did you think of Ashwin’s Mankad of Buttler in the IPL?

I am personally all for taking every legal advantage in sport but that was seriously poor form imho.

I'm kinda torn on this one. (ok, not really, I don't think...prepare for waffle).

As a bowler watching batsmen get every advantage under the sun part of me was like **** him, stay in your damn crease ya batting wanker.

I think I actually did it a couple of times when I was about 11 or 12 and was super pissed when the umpire (which is usually a coach who is also your school teacher) didn't give the batsmen out.

Keep in mind this was the b/s when if you got a batsman out first ball they went awww, we'll give him a chance. I once bowled a guy out 4 times and had him dropped once in an over and the 'adults' kept letting him play on. Regardless that I would practise every day and this numpty probably never held a bat in his life.

So... I don't like batsmen all that much (lol...therapy cough).

ANYWAY - I thought they changed the rule about delivery stride so I'm not sure if the bowler did everything correct. There's no rule saying you have to give the batsman a warning either.

That said, as an adult and if I was playing I guess I would just warn the batsman but I doubt if I would do it...ok at that level I wouldn't do it (assuming the guy wasn't running halfway down the pitch).

They probably should have withdrawn the appeal. Legal? Probably? Poor form? Yeah. (Gawd it's hard to type that...damn batsmen lololol)

.. and this is why women shouldn't be allowed out of the kitchen .....

PSS just kidding ... let her ref if she wants ... as long as she's home in time to cook dinner ...

I'm kinda torn on this one. (ok, not really, I don't think...prepare for waffle).

As a bowler watching batsmen get every advantage under the sun part of me was like **** him, stay in your damn crease ya batting wanker.

I think I actually did it a couple of times when I was about 11 or 12 and was super pissed when the umpire (which is usually a coach who is also your school teacher) didn't give the batsmen out.

Keep in mind this was the b/s when if you got a batsman out first ball they went awww, we'll give him a chance. I once bowled a guy out 4 times and had him dropped once in an over and the 'adults' kept letting him play on. Regardless that I would practise every day and this numpty probably never held a bat in his life.

So... I don't like batsmen all that much (lol...therapy cough).

ANYWAY - I thought they changed the rule about delivery stride so I'm not sure if the bowler did everything correct. There's no rule saying you have to give the batsman a warning either.

That said, as an adult and if I was playing I guess I would just warn the batsman but I doubt if I would do it...ok at that level I wouldn't do it (assuming the guy wasn't running halfway down the pitch).

They probably should have withdrawn the appeal. Legal? Probably? Poor form? Yeah. (Gawd it's hard to type that...damn batsmen lololol)
As a former fast bowler (my dodgy back and hips attest to this), I have disdain for batsman much like you. However, by resorting to a Mankad, you are basically admitting to the batsman that you can’t get him out with your bowling - I’d live in parramatta before I’d ever give a batsman such satisfaction!

I’d get rid of the Mankad but allow an umpire to call a dead ball (dot ball in favour of the bowler) if the umpire formed the view that the non-striker was leaving their crease early to obtain an unfair advantage.

As a former fast bowler (my dodgy back and hips attest to this), I have disdain for batsman much like you. However, by resorting to a Mankad, you are basically admitting to the batsman that you can’t get him out with your bowling - I’d live in parramatta before I’d ever give a batsman such satisfaction!

I’d get rid of the Mankad but allow an umpire to call a dead ball (dot ball in favour of the bowler) if the umpire formed the view that the non-striker was leaving their crease early to obtain an unfair advantage.

You know, I wish I had typed that instead of my gibberish! lol. Noice!

.. and this is why women shouldn't be allowed out of the kitchen .....

PSS just kidding ... let her ref if she wants ... as long as she's home in time to cook dinner ...
Ah, Woodsie, no one is jousting with you on the other threads so you had to come here!

I was going to attempt to link the Mankad to Trent Barrett, just to give you something to play with, but then I thought “stuff ya”! (That, and I generally try (sometimes unsuccessfully) to only post things that have a level of rationality.)

I wouldn’t say it was gibberish, but your post allowed me to focus my mind better.

An interesting comment or two from Robert Craddock saying that Bowlers get scrutinised and hammered if they are 1 mm over the line when bowling, batsmen should pull their heads in and stay in the damn crease!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...r/news-story/cc0fb5948c6b253f2d2a3a8722bf04f0

But cricket journalist Robert ‘Crash’ Craddock has shed light on the opposing view — that bowlers are closely scrutinised at the crease while non-strikers get an unreasonable head start on a potential run without consequence.

It’s the very idea that the Mankad is against the spirit of the game that empowers non-strikers to take an otherwise heavy risk. But isn’t that in itself also against the spirit of the game?

“It’s a fascinating debate and I love the spirit of cricket but for some reason I’m having trouble sympathising with Buttler as the heartbreak kid,” Craddock said on The Backpage Live.
“He’s been warned for about seven or eight years, ‘Jos you drift out of your crease’ and he did it twice earlier in that over.

“A couple of years ago remember the forensically looked at the line for no-ball for bowlers. They get pinged all the time.”

And:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...n/news-story/baade3f17cf938ee415bd8c2f88b08cb

It was only in 2017 that the Marylebone Cricket Club, the spiritual holders of the laws of the game, put the onus firmly back on batters to follow the rules of any race – don’t start early.

The MCC made two important changes to Law 41.16. The first was changing its name from “bowler attempting to run out non-striker before delivery” to “non-striker leaving their ground early”. A simple gesture to stress where responsibility lay,

The second, and the one that Ashwin capitalised upon, was the extended time frame within which a bowler could run out a non-striker.

Before the rule change, bowlers were only able to run out non-strikers before they entered their delivery stride. Under the new law, the batter could be run-out up to “the instant when the bowler would normally have been expected to release the ball”.

I find it amusing that the people most outraged at the loss of the spirit of the game are the same ones that are calling for Smith and that other cheating **** to be forgiven and rushed back into the Aussie team ....

.. and @Ranga .. I blame Barrett and Global for that ...

I dunno ... it’s hard to disagree with Crash in theory but then you see a Mankad and something doesn’t feel right about it. I would not want to see cricket get like baseball where the pitcher Is able to have a crack at getting a batter out who tries to steal a base. That’s why I reckon if the umpires have the discretion to call a dead ball (like they do when a batsman does not offer a shot) when they deem a batsman ‘illegally’ backing up, it would have the desired effect without leaving the sour taste in the mouth.

I find it amusing that the people most outraged at the loss of the spirit of the game are the same ones that are calling for Smith and that other cheating **** to be forgiven and rushed back into the Aussie team ....

That’s super harsh on Barrett, Woodsie!

There is always hypocrisy with these types of matters. Actually, in life in general.

In saying that, I don’t consider wanting to uphold the spirit of the game and forgiving them to be inconsistent. They ought to be forgiven and given another chance, although i accept that some find it particularly difficult for Warner. But rushing them back in to the team? I’d be tempted to make them earn it like every other Tom, Dick and Harry.

If it happened 30 years ago it would have been a life ban ....... but you are correct in your views of the modern world ... principle has been replaced with expediency and public opinion ... we no longer lead .. we react ....

Anyway ... what do I know ... didn't mean it to become real discussion ... cheers mate ....

I'm little 'g'. I agree with you about big 'G'lobal...!

(that's all I got, sorry)

I dunno ... it’s hard to disagree with Crash in theory but then you see a Mankad and something doesn’t feel right about it. I would not want to see cricket get like baseball where the pitcher Is able to have a crack at getting a batter out who tries to steal a base. That’s why I reckon if the umpires have the discretion to call a dead ball (like they do when a batsman does not offer a shot) when they deem a batsman ‘illegally’ backing up, it would have the desired effect without leaving the sour taste in the mouth.

Did you see nsw got a vic batter out in the shield final on a no ball. Everyone knew it was but the ump couldn't over-rule it.. go bowlers! (just after I posted the above article..lol)

How about no mankading but an Ump can deduct 5 runs if the batsman leaves the crease! (should be 20 runs I reckon).

Ok, wont happen and sheesh, umps have a lot to look at every delivery!

League also needs a captains referral like the cricket / tennis / nfl / nhl / every professionally run team sport / aliens.

Did you see nsw got a vic batter out in the shield final on a no ball. Everyone knew it was but the ump couldn't over-rule it.. go bowlers! (just after I posted the above article..lol)
Yeah saw that - have been watching a bit of the final. Kohli blew up last night too because the umpire missed a no-ball on the last ball of the match when his side needed 6 to win (they would have got a run and a free hit). Cricket umpiring is way harder than it looks...

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4