Defensive change

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
With jake, matty and leary all on the park last week i noticed a change in tackling . There were many old school tackles around the legs. Many more than in most games. Its a great way to bring the big men down. Was wondering if its a change in strategy or just a simple case of having a few players on the park at the same time that operate this way. It worked anyway.

I think having someone with Jake's technique is great, while people say at times it will allow the opposition team a quick play the ball, yes, this may be true in certain area's although they are still tackled short of where they would have been otherwise.. HOWEVER, when you are in the middle of the field and have someone like Jake chopping a bloke down or driving at the thigh's the second player in then only needs to wrap up the top half of the ball carrier and then they have been completely dominated.

It seems as though its back to basics but it works in my opinon, as a junior you are always tought, 1 high and 1 low, if you are next to Jake you know where he hits and you adjust accordingly, stops them dead in their tracks.

As an under 12s coach its refreshing to see a prop tackle this way. We spend hours teaching kids to tackle with the target being the thighs. I think it would do NRL players some good to go down and watch some junior games. Unfortunately though as long as the players have to release the legs as soon as they hit the ground. Or concede a penalty, kids will have to continue to change there tackling technique when they hit senior footy.

Best technique in the game...only problem is the quick play the ball.
The way Manly have countered this is the containers (2nd & 3rd men over the top to wrap the ball) also giving the extra time on the ground which can actually WIN more time controlling the tackled player, as without legs the attacker can be totally dominated.
The only time its an issue is a 1 man tackle as the release call is almost instantanious from the ref allowing a 2 second play the ball or a penalty....

With jake, matty and leary all on the park last week i noticed a change in tackling . There were many old school tackles around the legs. Many more than in most games. Its a great way to bring the big men down. Was wondering if its a change in strategy or just a simple case of having a few players on the park at the same time that operate this way. It worked anyway.
Yes I noticed that too with a number of the forwards tackling around the legs. Maybe Jake has some influence at training. Toovey must have seen how effective Jake's tackling was and decided to get the other forwards to do it. It seemed to work well last Friday.

Could be JT influence or could be Tooveys aswell.
Toovey being old school always tackled that way.
May also be just a coincidence

Best technique in the game...only problem is the quick play the ball.

The only time its an issue is a 1 man tackle as the release call is almost instantanious from the ref allowing a 2 second play the ball or a penalty....
Spot on!

I firmly believe if the NRL wanted to eliminate shoulder charges head high tackles and spear tackles they should look at rewarding copy book tackles not limp waisted penalties for bad tackles. Imagine if the old "dominant" tackle was for around the legs..., it would drive remarkably different results

On Friday night during our win over Souffs, Sterlo actually made the comment that he thought the old style tackling technique of hitting low and taking the ball runner down that way was on its way out of rugby league. He then added that the way Jake Trbojevic tackles has forced him to re-think simply because Jake has been so successful at it.

I think he mentioned it soon after Jake had taken Inglis down in a tackle. He praised Jake saying that was the way to bring down Inglis, take his legs out and stop him running. Going high on a player like Inglis simply allows him to put a fend on which he is very good at doing.

Jake Trbojevic is a modern day front rower who plays an old style front rowers game. The only difference is that unlike a lot of old style props, he's not a thug. And the way he plays is starting to win a lot of fans....even those who usually hate Manly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6