Defence Under Toovey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Watch the dogs miss the 8 this year and even for a few more while they actually build a team

They dont have the cattle,if the dogs make the top 4 i'll agree with dumb post of the year call

I don't think you can blame Oldfield too much.
His a kid with limited first grade experience playing on the other side of the world. He was given limited opportunities. He could of sought the ball more but that comes with exp, he will get better as the year goes on.

King on the other hand played exactly as he did last season, watch any game over again. No one likes to see a bloke get injured but when he went down last year i knew it would improve our chances in winning the GF.

Clay said:
His a kid with limited first grade experience playing on the other side of the world. He was given limited opportunities. He could of sought the ball more but that comes with exp, he will get better as the year goes on.

King on the other hand played exactly as he did last season, watch any game over again. No one likes to see a bloke get injured but when he went down last year i knew it would improve our chances in winning the GF.

Not 'blaming' Oldfield but he never had a scoot from dummy half and didn't do looking for the ball. Obviously we missed Robbo and Hoppa Jnr, and I think he'll be lucky keeping out Ben Farrar.
King: He made a bad handling error and also lifted his elbow when in possession, gifting Leeds a penalty. Apart from these I thought he played strongly.

I can get filthy after a loss but that game doesnt even rate a 1 out of 10 on the blow up scale. Its not even a blip on that radar we fly under.

Was a glorified trial which we were 50/50 to win with 10 minutes to go despite a non existant preparation & a trip half way round the world to face a fired up team with match practice. Score looks much worse than it really was and we played better than I thought we would.

IMO what we mainly lacked was structure under pressure in both attack and defence - attitude was great. Judge them after a couple of rounds of real football not this rubbish this morning.

The defence was similar to what they were doing last year. Let's not forget that the last time most of us saw them they were killing it in the finals at the peak of their form. This was the first real hit out since then and they were a bit rusty.

Leeds were playing at home in their familiar conditions at a more advanced stage of their preparation. Manly pushed them all the way until a few very fortunate calls went their way in the last 5 mins.

No injuries, no harm done.... no worries. Bring on the 2012 NRL season.

Last year I found kings runs to be very ineffective, raley dominated and often had a big hit put on him.
If someone could dig up the stats im pretty sure he would have the most halnding errors per minute and the least meters per run out of the props or i will eat my hat.
Although his defence is normally good.

The Who said:
Clay said:

Not 'blaming' Oldfield but he never had a scoot from dummy half and didn't do looking for the ball. Obviously we missed Robbo and Hoppa Jnr, and I think he'll be lucky keeping out Ben Farrar.
King: He made a bad handling error and also lifted his elbow when in possession, gifting Leeds a penalty. Apart from these I thought he played strongly.

King lifting the elbow wasnt just a mistake it took the wind out of our sails. We were twenty out, in the middle of the park the first run from a penalty, we would have turned that into a try I have no doubt and we would have had the lead with it too.

I agree. Conceding penalties in defence is one thing, but conceding them when you have the ball is just plain stupid. Matai did it, too, when he ran behind Brent Kite and they called him for the shepherd. But at least he didn't raise an elbow:)

Someone smarter than both you and I Ryan, once said that defence was all about attitude and commitment. All I heard from Tooves about this tour was "enjoyment", the players were basically told they could make up for the lack of celebration after the GF last year and soak up the experience. I don't think for a minute they were over there on the pi$$, but I'm sure the focus wasn't win at all costs. I didn't think our defence was that bad TBH, couple of bad reads and a bit of laziness. Certainly not time to get the knives out, given it's basically our second hit out. I got the impression the win meant more to Leeds than us. Considering a fair chunk of the side has already won one of these WCC, the desire isn't burning deep as it was for Leeds who have lost 2 or 3 from memory. Given the disgraceful condition of the ground I'm just happy we got through without an injuries, that's the key thing here. As for Tooves being laid back ?? I don't think that is going to be an issue for us this year.

Ryan you should take your own advice and "don't be that guy this year"

Its amazing how certain people are ghosts on here when we are winning but at the start of each season all the negative people have their big rants ect. Im sure this thread will be revived in a few months time when we are sitting in the top 4 and looking like real premiership contenders again, then it will be revived again when we go back to back :)

Ron E. Gibbs said:
I agree. Conceding penalties in defence is one thing, but conceding them when you have the ball is just plain stupid. Matai did it, too, when he ran behind Brent Kite and they called him for the shepherd. But at least he didn't raise an elbow:)
Yep those 2 penalties when we were attacking really killed the momentum. The matai shepherd is the type of thing that happens after a 4 month break. Bad timing.

Garts said:
I dont think we can be reading too much into things just yet. Wait and see how our defence is after a month in the NRL.

Can he get Bpzo's intensity re defence, e.g. fines for missed tackles,etc?

Firstly, I'm not going to bother posting this season after some of the remarks in this thread (barely do any more anyway).

Secondly, King's elbow wasn't dirty. I don't know if we were watching different games, I thought he played very well, and looked more mobile / fit.

Over & out.

Look everybody, Klein killed us. He had a piss-poor game. Our defense was sound and it was only at the death that we let the score blow out. Toovs certainly didn't look like he was relaxed during the game. Can his eyes get any bigger? That's what stress does to you. And Wolfy has admitted he didn't have the best off games. His honesty is refreshing considering he's coming back from a broken neck. I thought he went OK. Kingy obviously needs a few more games to get his hands in order and all of them needed the run. Killer again showed his class. A coaching role for him when he hangs up the boots. I'm not at all concerned and predict a very good year. And remember, I'm never wrong.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2