Defence is still the key

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rodo

Goldmember
Tipping Member
Interesting observation from Phil Gould in the SMH...

We are now a quarter of the way through the home and away season. Many people will say it is far too early to be analysing team's positions at the competition table. However, one thing is notable. Seven teams (Parramatta, Brisbane, North Queensland, Bulldogs, Melbourne, Souths and the Sharks) are all averaging conceding 16 points or less per match, in defence, through six rounds, whilst the remaining nine teams are averaging greater than 20 points per match in that department. The gap between the seventh-best defensive team (Sharks) and the eighth-best defensive team (Penrith) is currently a tick under five points per match. I write about this because a quick study of the final competition tables over the past five seasons (2011 to 2015) shows that no team conceding on average 16 points or less in a match through a season has missed the finals in this period. One team, (Canberra Raiders in 2012), has made the eight when averaging greater than 20 points per match. I'm sure for the teams outside the eight who have ambitions to play finals footy this year, the emphasis in the coming months has to be on defence because history is not on their side if they maintain their current average of points conceded per game.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...to-hurt-us-20160412-go4ug4.html#ixzz45gSvQHLd

Manly are currently 10th and have conceded 130 points (average of nearly 22 points per game) so in order for them to make the finals they will need to sure up their defence. So Barrett should be concentrating on this. If they can get this right then their attack should follow.

Looking at Parramatta, they have conceded only 65 points (1st in the league at only 11 points per game). So it could be a tough ask for Manly. They will need to work out how to unsettle Parramatta's strong defence.

Manly are currently 10th and have conceded 130 points (average of nearly 22 points per game) so in order for them to make the finals they will need to sure up their defence. So Barrett should be concentrating on this. If they can get this right then their attack should follow.

Looking at Parramatta, they have conceded only 65 points (1st in the league at only 11 points per game). So it could be a tough ask for Manly. They will need to work out how to unsettle Parramatta's strong defence.

Oh how's this! I mentioned on Wednesday that this season Manly have conceded on average 22 points per game and Parramatta, 11 points. That's pretty close to the result last night!

Manly played very well for 65 minutes but then dropped off in the last 15 minutes. Barrett will need to work on that defence (for the full 80 minutes) or else Manly are unlikely to make the finals this year.

Strangely, our defence last night was far better than our attack, yet we conceded four tries. Three of those were through Manly fumbles.
Our attack is not working. Too much one out play, few off-loads, no creativity, relying on a kick-and-hope...
I've yet to see anything like the attacking skills we possessed in past seasons. It is probably because our fullback and centres are past their best, so when I see suggested Manly YARTS for 2017 that retains these former champions I worry. We need to regenerate our backline.
I'm also disappointed that TB does not seem to have added anything to our attacking options. Poor Tooves coped it for being 'old school' and TB was touted as a 'new generation coach.'

Oh how's this! I mentioned on Wednesday that this season Manly have conceded on average 22 points per game and Parramatta, 11 points. That's pretty close to the result last night!

Manly played very well for 65 minutes but then dropped off in the last 15 minutes. Barrett will need to work on that defence (for the full 80 minutes) or else Manly are unlikely to make the finals this year.
To expand on this, I don't think the defensive structures were the biggest problem last night, but more about poor individual lapses. Having said that, yes, we still look at little shakey around the edges and teams seem to easily create numbers out wide. We end up with wingers running in to shut it down near the line, or everybody just turning, running backwards and half sliding as we attempt to negate the numbers in the mid field.

Strangely, our defence last night was far better than our attack, yet we conceded four tries. Three of those were through Manly fumbles.
Our attack is not working. Too much one out play, few off-loads, no creativity, relying on a kick-and-hope...
I've yet to see anything like the attacking skills we possessed in past seasons. It is probably because our fullback and centres are past their best, so when I see suggested Manly YARTS for 2017 that retains these former champions I worry. We need to regenerate our backline.
I'm also disappointed that TB does not seem to have added anything to our attacking options. Poor Tooves coped it for being 'old school' and TB was touted as a 'new generation coach.'
Yes Manly need to work on their attack. There was not much creativity in the halves, they had a poor kicking game and poor 5th tackle options. 2nd phase play has been lacking this year and there has not been many offloads.

One positive is that all of Parramatta's tries were scored out wide and Manly forwards were superior to Parramatta's (although Parramatta's looked more likely to create something - when they took the ball up they were always looking to offload).

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8