[Resurrected] DCE is the worst halfback in the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Alternative headline:

Why can’t DCE win us games without our 4 best attacking players and 75% of his usual spine combo.
Because the opposition have figured out his game plan of run slowly to the right or left and hand the ball to someone else. The other teams are just to smart for him.

Because the opposition have figured out his game plan of run slowly to the right or left and hand the ball to someone else. The other teams are just to smart for him.
I think a more accurate description would be opposition have figured out we don't have a 6, Levi is not threat at all from hooker, and then if you take out Tom all they have to do is stack defence on DCE. Crocker is not going to do anything, Levi is predictable, Garrick is not threat at Full back, Funa is soft, thank God we have Suli back.

I get the critism if Manly's towards were Rolling forward getting off loads and quick play the balls, a smart hooker drawing the markers, back rowers punching through the line, a 5/8 who would also be a threat - even someone line Blake Green and DCE was still playing ****!?

But look at the players around him, they are rubbish!! We have no impact off the bench either. I'm fine with DCE, he's not why we are not winning games. We have no 1, 6 and 9 and too many reserve grade forwards.

I think a more accurate description would be opposition have figured out we don't have a 6, Levi is not threat at all from hooker, and then if you take out Tom all they have to do is stack defence on DCE. Crocker is not going to do anything, Levi is predictable, Garrick is not threat at Full back, Funa is soft, thank God we have Suli back.

I get the critism if Manly's towards were Rolling forward getting off loads and quick play the balls, a smart hooker drawing the markers, back rowers punching through the line, a 5/8 who would also be a threat - even someone line Blake Green and DCE was still playing ****!?

But look at the players around him, they are rubbish!! We have no impact off the bench either. I'm fine with DCE, he's not why we are not winning games. We have no 1, 6 and 9 and too many reserve grade forwards.
I agree. We are somewhat losing in our team selections.
Levi, Paseka and Gosiewski should be gone on form. Start Croker at 9, Cust at 6, Boyle to bench. I'd even say Metcalfe to Fullback and Garrick to wing. Atleast Metcalfe is a threat with the ball. We seen with Gutho how important it is to have a ball playing fullback. Or atleast Metcalfe/Schuster to bench.
As you mentioned we have very limited options in the current team selected. We have the players but they are either not selected or selected out of position

I agree. We are somewhat losing in our team selections.
Levi, Paseka and Gosiewski should be gone on form. Start Croker at 9, Cust at 6, Boyle to bench. I'd even say Metcalfe to Fullback and Garrick to wing. Atleast Metcalfe is a threat with the ball. We seen with Gutho how important it is to have a ball playing fullback. Or atleast Metcalfe/Schuster to bench.
As you mentioned we have very limited options in the current team selected. We have the players but they are either not selected or selected out of position
Yep, some strange selections? I would entertain your positional changes above.

And where is Waddell? Injured? MIA. Sipley? Thought he was terrific off the bench last year? Not match fit?

I personally cannot stand Crocker at 5/8, Levi should start but be subbed earlier for Crocker at 9, Garrick is no threat at Full back either.

Dce is better than Hunt and Milford and ash taylor and Nikorima. And other marquee halves.
Is he the best? Not on form but he is clearly clutch. How long did JT struggle without a gun side around him? His whole career at the cowboys. With a good, in form team DCE will shine again.

Dce is better than Hunt and Milford and ash taylor and Nikorima. And other marquee halves.
Is he the best? Not on form but he is clearly clutch. How long did JT struggle without a gun side around him? His whole career at the cowboys. With a good, in form team DCE will shine again.

Exactly - Thurston was Cowboys, Australian & Queensland half for how many years?

How many premierships did he win in that time?

One.

How many of those years were the Cowboys considered a top 4 team?

Not many.

Exactly - Thurston was Cowboys, Australian & Queensland half for how many years?

How many premierships did he win in that time?

One.

How many of those years were the Cowboys considered a top 4 team?

Not many.

Yep, this. You need a good halfback to win a premiership, but they are more than any other position dependant on those around them. They need forwards to bend the line or provide second phase play, a dummy half that distributes the ball to them with crisp passes at the right time, players that run good lines or are explosive attacking options around them. Give DCE this and he will help us win a premiership. He can't do it himself.

I am not sure an in-form or out-of-form team has anything to do with Cherry's poor quality kicking. That is my biggest disappointment with his game this year. Be it a short stab kick in the opposition 20 or a long clearing kick from our half or be it a simple bomb. I don't know how a top quality player like Cherry can loose this part of his game with such regularity and consistency. Kicking has always been a massive part of the game but in todays game is a must have to have any chance of winning. Fingers crossed and lets see how he goes today. He can only improve surely.

I am not sure an in-form or out-of-form team has anything to do with Cherry's poor quality kicking. That is my biggest disappointment with his game this year. Be it a short stab kick in the opposition 20 or a long clearing kick from our half or be it a simple bomb. I don't know how a top quality player like Cherry can loose this part of his game with such regularity and consistency. Kicking has always been a massive part of the game but in todays game is a must have to have any chance of winning. Fingers crossed and lets see how he goes today. He can only improve surely.
This is my take on it, it seems most of the time Dylan and DCE were coached to run it on the last and be better off tackled with the ball 5m out then risk a restart on the 20m and 7 tackles.

I would love to see more repeat sets and hopefully they are practicing getting this done at training. Only a couple of years ago he was ranked one or two in this area, during origin he had like 4 repeat sets in 20 mins which changes the game.

Come on DCE, let's build some pressure and find your kicking from, it's deserted you this year and Manly need to to refind it asap

If you have a look at all the sides above us on the ladder they have reasonable spines that have have options in attack from most of the positions.

Have a look at our current spine and then the likes of Paeska and Jetski running the ball up.

Even throwing a player like API into 9 would transform dce, then a fit Tom at the back, Walker running the left side attack, Faniu coming on with a tired defence. Such a difference.

Will be interesting to see how they rebound this week. Will need a small miracle to win with today's team

If you have a look at all the sides above us on the ladder they have reasonable spines that have have options in attack from most of the positions.

Have a look at our current spine and then the likes of Paeska and Jetski running the ball up.

Even throwing a player like API into 9 would transform dce, then a fit Tom at the back, Walker running the left side attack, Faniu coming on with a tired defence. Such a difference.

Will be interesting to see how they rebound this week. Will need a small miracle to win with today's team

I agree. Cherry had the ball on proverbial string not so long ago so hopefully he can regain that today. Surely got to be the easiest part of a half / 5/8's armory?? Got to be easier than running the ball and potentially getting smashed or tacking 120kg giants on the run.

Re Paseka….not sure what the love-in is all about with Des but obviously he is seeing things differently to most of the supporters atm. Same with Jack. I dont believe they are currently playing to 1st grade standard and some of the other guys should be given the opportunity. I feel sorry for the likes of boyle, sipley, guacamole etc. With no reserve grade or Jersey flegg in play you would think a bench spot would be like gold and you would play your lights out. Not happening..... yet no changes. If the same happens today, I would be surprised not to see any changes next week.

Quite baffling re Paseka and Jetski guaranteed selections. Paseka had the keys to the castle if he stepped up and performed. Wasn't he recently resigned by us for a few more years? Maybe he needs the pre game Raudonikis slapping because he lacks any kind of aggression offensively or defensively. Jetski doesn't even look like he wants to be out there atm. ffs I get so annoyed at how few forwards these days genuinely hit the defensive line 'on the burst' as we used to call it. The ones that do stick out like dogs balls... NAS and B Smith from the Storm, that angry idiot from Parra that's always suspended etc. Our team needs a HEAP of tweaking in personnel IMO if we are going to be legit heavyweights. More mongrel up front and more speed out the back for starters. Go Manly

. Most of Manly's attack came off the forwards rolling forward through the middle last year. Manly were ranked number one in this department. Marty and AFB rarely get taken to the ground either and usually take 3 defenders to stop them. Problem this year is a hooker which has no footy smarts. Can throw a ok flat pass but that is really ineffective today's game, need to engage defence first. Also feel we are missing impact off the bench, Jetski and Paeska really offering not much, and missing the impact of Faniu off the bench too. Surprised not too see a sipley type get a go
I think Levi's impact is overstated in this area, we are much better now in getting lateral early crisp ball to the halves like the Ballin years.(who was never really an engage the markers hooker---nor did we have much go forward penetration back in those years and used lateral spreads to the edges for Matai,Lyon and Watmough to make the yards)

We can now incorporate a little of the past lateral play and combine that hopefully with more straight explosive go forward that is not "numbers" based but more effective.

Cleary was just saying how much Api has allowed him to open his game up by drawing the markets and giving him quality ball. DCEs form is greatly affected by Levi in my opinion. I hope Danny can improve, otherwise it might be a long year for our halves.
We are not playing as straight at times with forwards not running in numbers, plus being a new hooker sometimes he takes the safe route too often(in passing) and not backing himself to run/being selfish.(or does it at the wrong times in a way that feels he is only doing so because he was told to do so, not by natural feel the game instinct)

I like what he brings from a passing and first up contact defence point of view, i need to see more straightness and explosiveness from the forwards which is partly his responsibility and partly the forwards.(the guy is only a few games in and needs time along with confidence from the coach---just like Api now)

It's not going to help his game having two of our attacking weapons on the sidelines and becoming the scapegoat for all our attacking issues.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8