Day grand final back on agenda

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
D-DAY for the grand final is fast approaching, with club chief executives to debate the prospect of scrapping a night finale amid a concerted push for the game to be played in the afternoon.

A final decision to revert to a day grand final, or not, will be made made by the NRL board next Thursday, after consultation with the clubs and Channel Nine.

Several clubs have stated their support for a day grand final, with Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen backing the move last month. However, the final decision could swing on Channel Nine, which is understood to favour a night grand final because of extra ratings and revenue.

The NRL is understood to have held talks with Nine executives over the possibility of moving the kick-off back to the afternoon. Several factors in favour of scrapping the night kick-off including a push from fans, the game's centenary celebrations and an earlier start to daylight saving.

"The issue of the day grand final will certainly be raised," NRL chief executive David Gallop said. "The change to daylight saving has opened a new problem around the current kick-off time."

The first night grand final was held in 2001, when Newcastle defeated Parramatta at Telstra Stadium. But there has been a concerted campaign to revert to a day grand final, with momentum building in recent years.

The issue has the potential to divide the clubs, which will meet in Sydney next week at the annual conference, given that those north of the border are unified in their belief the NRL should revert to a day decider.

"I understand why they play it at night time given the commercial advantages it brings," North Queensland chief executive Peter Parr said.

"I think just about all of Queensland would much prefer a day grand final."

However, Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron said the clubs needed to put the game first.

"As a code we have a real competitive advantage with a night grand final," Waldron said.

My mail from someone inside is it is back baby!

Should find out very soon

It is important for Manly as well....as we will be one of the teams there.....as:-

1. Minor Premiers &
2. Grand Finalists.

vs. Nth Qld.

Bowen, Thurston, Burns, O'Donnell, Payne, Webb, Faumuina, T. Williams, Lillyman, Southern etc etc...these slime look relatively decent next year.

Melbourne to have a Tequila hangover. 5th.

A day GF would be fantastic. Ch9 has lost the plot in their entire scheduling so there could be hope if they want to be 'still the one'.

A day GF would be fantastic. Ch9 has lost the plot in their entire scheduling so there could be hope if they want to be 'still the one'.

No, that's me, and you are talking about what is in my pants ! ;)

The vote was 8 for and 8 against and now in the too hard basket until February. Broncs, Cowgirls and Worriers would have been for a day-time GF. I haven't seen a break-down of the rest of the voting - but to the 8 who wanted to continue with the night-time rubbish, thanks for nothing.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6