Dave Smith post GF

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

niccipops

un echidna spillo mia bevanda
Premium Member
Dave Smith telecrap article and my slightly one-eyed translation of some key points:

Spurred on by one of the great grand finals and a hugely successful week of celebrations and fanfare, Smith’s ambition hasn’t changed from his first interview with The Sunday Telegraph last January - it is to position the NRL as the best code in Australia.
According to Smith, that was underlined last Friday when Sonny Bill Williams turned his back on rugby union to commit to the NRL and the Sydney Roosters for 2014.
Smith deserves kudos for bringing the salary cap into the 21st century. By being more flexible around how players can earn money outside the game, the NRL now has the ability to ensure athletes like Williams can exploit their talents - in and out of the game.
"He's great for that club, he’s great for our game, the fans love him. I couldn’t be happier that he’s agreed to stay," Smith said.
"We said all along we wanted Sonny to stay in our game and it was important he knew that. This is one example of a really positive future for us all.
"What we’re trying to do with the salary cap is build flexibility and modernise it. Sonny is one example of many that athletes have choices to perform in other sports and we have to have flexibility within our systems to support it and so that we keep players like Sonny.
PERFORM OR PERISH
Rugby league has a serious administration issue with some clubs. Parramatta, Wests Tigers and Manly are operating despite dysfunctional boards and management.
Smith added a limitation on funding from the NRL would encourage clubs to determine their own fate ahead of possible expansion in the next six years.
Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/nrl-chief-executive-dave-smith-answers-the-tough-questions-on-his-first-year-in-charge/story-e6freuy9-1226738868973

I really don’t this guy has a clue.

*Spurred on by one of the worst refereed grand finals and a hugely successful week of celebrations and fanfare by deluded chook fans who believe they won fairly.
*the ROOSTERS fans love him – if he’s so good for the game of NRL and not just chookens the NRL should step in and make him play for parra. They are struggling and need a player of his quality way more that the roosters. I know there’s no chance of anything like this happening but I would roll around laughing for a week if it did.

*Smith added a limitation on funding from the NRL would encourage clubs to determine their own fate ahead of possible expansion in the next six years.
This one could have huge implications for Manly. Under the pretense of trying to help strugglers they are looking for excuses to reduce the amount of Sydney clubs. Vitally important that we continue our on-field success and the board seriously needs to pull their heads in or at least portray the public image of a united front.

We need to do everything we can as fans to keep our mighty club in the game. The team is more than doing their bit by bringing us success on the field.
Bring on a roosters smashing 2014;)

It doesn't really make sense to out Manly does it.
I'm not saying this as a Manly fan but logically, there is only 1 team representing the North of Sydney and that's Manly nothing else until Newcastle.
If they did would leave the area bare for AFL, Soccer and Rah Rah - a lot of big business's are based on the North.
So it makes sense for Manly to push into the Bears old area even more.

I'm sure most fans wouldn't mind a board as 'dysfunctional' as Manly's, if their clubs could be as consistently competitive. And to suggest the management is dysfunctional...really? Based on what?

The other two clubs - Wests Tigers dissolve Balmain bring back the Magpies there the ones with the $'s and juniors.
Parra are the weird ones plenty of $'s and juniors but something is seriously wrong there.

I'm surprised Cronulla didn't get a mention

eagles2win said:
Parra are the weird ones plenty of $'s and juniors but something is seriously wrong there.

I'm surprised Cronulla didn't get a mention

We need to remember that although it was a freakish end of season run the slimeys made it to the '09 GF only to be beaten by a cap cheating storm.
Don't get me wrong, these guys are high up on my hate list along with the 14 other teams but they have a huge following and in four short years their teams performance has gone from remarkable to ridiculous.

As for the sharkies maybe the powers are hoping the ASADA drama buries them. One less to worry about.

That seems to be a lot of man love from 'our' ceo for a player who didn't make himself available during the week preceding the gf, to help promote the game, and who now has the nrl at his beck and call.

We're going to have to hear a lot more of this b/s before sbw nicks off back to union in 2015 to waltz into an all black jersey.

Never before have 2 codes done more to cheapen their respective country's jerseys.

In conclusion, D Smith is a total git.

Smith has lots to learn still, hes a big improvement on the Galloping goose. If hes helped the rorters keep money bill then he needs to assist other clubs with marquee players as well.

Dave seems personable. His background from Lloyd's is the smoking gun. Bankers are rarely trusted and with good reason but I'm willing to give him a go. If he comes hunting for Manly then nothing will save him. e2w covers it well. Ignore the northern part of Sydney at your peril!

RL is to tribal for sides to want clubs to go away with an exception Cronulla.

IMHO there could be 20 sides in the NRL (1 - 16 current NRL sides, CQld, Brothers, WA, Wellington)

A second division done right would be awesome ie

Redcliffe
Newtown
Wynnum Manly
Northern Pride
Central Coast
Brisbane Easts
Townsville
PNG
Darwin
Perth
Adelaide
Northern Sydney
Southern Sydney
Western Sydney
Melbourne
Country NSW
Toowoomba

eagles2win said:
A second division done right would be awesome ie

Redcliffe
Newtown
Wynnum Manly
Northern Pride
Central Coast
Brisbane Easts
Townsville
PNG
Darwin
Perth
Adelaide
Northern Sydney
Southern Sydney
Western Sydney
Melbourne
Country NSW
Toowoomba

Now there's a chance to take away their territory names and give them ridiculous Yankee titles to play under.

Dave Smith hasn't got a clue. Since he took over crowd numbers have fallen, TV ratings have fallen, The quality of Referees has fallen (Who'd have thought that possible), GF Prices have doubled, We've had cover ups ala Barba etc etc.

Yep, he's doing a great job. Another couple of years with Smith in charge and the A-League will overtake us.

Ralphie said:
Dave Smith hasn't got a clue. Since he took over crowd numbers have fallen, TV ratings have fallen, The quality of Referees has fallen (Who'd have thought that possible), GF Prices have doubled, We've had cover ups ala Barba etc etc.

Yep, he's doing a great job. Another couple of years with Smith in charge and the A-League will overtake us.

You're being too harsh. Smith had no influence on the tv deal so had to wear the Ch9 schedule where we saw popular tv raters play poorly. Only the blind miss that influence on crowd figures when the Dragons, Eels and Broncos (and even the Dogs early on) are playing like poor.

GF prices went up a heap yet we still got over 80,000 despite the naysayers predicting the week out from the game we'd see rows and rows of empty seats, with Souths gone.

My only concern to date is the recent push for SBW to stay. How in the world can this effort not now force examples to pile up across the board, and result in discrepancies in how it's managed. Do we have 16 marquee signings in the League that have heavily attracted to Union (or elsewhere), or will we just support those clubs that have those types? Cam Smith or JT have no intention of leaving the NRL yet why are they not championed by the NRL and kept on with extras from the official body?

IMO, it simply creates another false leverage for player managers to exploit and create more uncertainty on player retention, even if affected players would never seriously consider leaving!!!

SBW SBW is there another palyer playing the game , what can we do to keep you in the NRL Sonny a Grand Final win sure why not its yours.

faithful said:
SBW SBW is there another palyer playing the game , what can we do to keep you in the NRL Sonny a Grand Final win sure why not its yours.

He wants to go back to back. This should really worry us all!

"Dave Smith post GF"

Dave shouldnt have gone & done that.

Packaging up & sending a person (especially your girlfriend) through the post is against the Australian Postal Corporation Act 1989.

globaleagle said:
faithful said:

He wants to go back to back. This should really worry us all!

GE,he tried some sort of move similar to that at the Covelly Hotel.

Jatz Crackers said:
"Dave Smith post GF"

Dave shouldnt have gone & done that.

Packaging up & sending a person (especially your girlfriend) through the post is against the Australian Postal Corporation Act 1989.
I thought Sonny Bill was his BF and damn I wish he'd post him somewhere.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2