Danny Weidler re: Watmough/DCE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
NFN2IT said:
Kevinward777 said:
FlyingHigh said:
I just hope Cherry told Choc that he plans to stay.

I reckon that's in the general vicinity of what was discussed because the issue was the senior group were peeved because Cherry was using up a lot of the potential cap space while having no intention of staying.

I missed out on this whole story, so Cherry decided he was going to leave Manly when his contract finishes?(assuming to the Broncos)
And the senior playing group is dirty at him because the club is keeping potential cap space to resign him?

I swear i have heard him saying to reporters in the past 12 months that hes happy at Manly and doesnt want to leave

I don't think he wants to leave, but that is just an uninformed opinion. I also think he told Choc that he wasn't already committed to the Broncs...yet another uninformed opinion.

Sad to see DCE morph over the last year or so from enthusiastic young gun clearly enjoying himself, to the unhappy, stressed character that he sometimes appears now.

There must be huge pressure on him. . His father is a friend of Griffiths, he's a queenslander and the Broncs enjoy one of the most outrageous monopolies in world sport. On the other hand Cherry's partner is a northern beaches girl and I suspect the last thing she would want to do is move to Brisbane without any supports/friends and with a young child. It was also Manly that gave him his chance, that supported him when other clubs like the Bronco's wouldn't have a bar of him. What price loyalty?

Watmough, (if his concern is that Gift has been shafted to reserve cap space for cherry), has a legitimate beef, if indeed Cherry doesn't intend to stay. The chances of this being the issue between them in my estimation are extremely high.

The only option for Cherry would be to declare his intentions early. But to do so, if he intends to leave would expose him to the ire of Manly supporters, team mates etc. To do so if he intends to stay might jepeoardise the deal he will get from Manly.

Possibly, as an earlier poster said, he's told Watmough that he intends to stay - this would be the only thing that would placate him. However, I didn't get a particularly positive vibe from Watmough's interview.

In the end its just a lot of speculation. But all in all, I think DCE is clearly in a jam and his body language/demeanour shows it.

xavier said:
Sad to see DCE morph over the last year or so from enthusiastic young gun clearly enjoying himself, to the unhappy, stressed character that he sometimes appears now.

There must be huge pressure on him. . His father is a friend of Griffiths, he's a queenslander and the Broncs enjoy one of the most outrageous monopolies in world sport. On the other hand Cherry's partner is a northern beaches girl and I suspect the last thing she would want to do is move to Brisbane without any supports/friends and with a young child. It was also Manly that gave him his chance, that supported him when other clubs like the Bronco's wouldn't have a bar of him. What price loyalty?

Watmough, (if his concern is that Gift has been shafted to reserve cap space for cherry), has a legitimate beef, if indeed Cherry doesn't intend to stay. The chances of this being the issue between them in my estimation are extremely high.

The only option for Cherry would be to declare his intentions early. But to do so, if he intends to leave would expose him to the ire of Manly supporters, team mates etc. To do so if he intends to stay might jepeoardise the deal he will get from Manly.

Possibly, as an earlier poster said, he's told Watmough that he intends to stay - this would be the only thing that would placate him. However, I didn't get a particularly positive vibe from Watmough's interview.

In the end its just a lot of speculation. But all in all, I think DCE is clearly in a jam and his body language/demeanour shows it.

I just dont understand WHY he would want to leave, his combination with Foz is definitely one of the main reason why he has been able to reach the heights he has so early in his career youd think it would be in both their interest to stick together. He has been involved in one of the most successful clubs of the last decade and has a good coaching staff around him who just seem to be developing his skills so well i swear every year he seems to strengthen in all areas of his game(in particular his running game). Surely its not about money as i think if he stays at Manly he will command alot of coin.

I don't understand why Sid is the sole scapegoat for Gifty not being retained.

Foz will command as much as he will surely :cool:

Snake also forced a 4 year deal on Manly when they only wanted to offer 3.

The old codgers should count their blessings, that these young halves are maintaining Manly's dominance, even as their input wanes :shy:

^^ :D

Although in other Posts, Wolfie was originally blamed for staying and hogging the gold :mad:
The poor man hasn't been able to afford a cooked meal in two years :angel:

NFN2IT said:
xavier said:

I just dont understand WHY he would want to leave, his combination with Foz is definitely one of the main reason why he has been able to reach the heights he has so early in his career youd think it would be in both their interest to stick together. He has been involved in one of the most successful clubs of the last decade and has a good coaching staff around him who just seem to be developing his skills so well i swear every year he seems to strengthen in all areas of his game(in particular his running game). Surely its not about money as i think if he stays at Manly he will command alot of coin.

Yeah, thats the other component of him staying. He has been playing with an extremely strong side for his three years in first grade. You can't underestimate the extent to which having once in a generation players like Watmough, the stewarts, Foz, matai and Killer playing along side you has. There's a well known syndrome where average players playing in an exceptional team have there talent overestimated. I'm not saying that's totally the case with DCE, but it has no doubt been a big component of his success. I suspect if you asked the senior playing group they'd be of this opinion. The concern for DCE is he may go up north and end up playing like the little grub formerly of the dogs is playing now. There would be enormous pressure on him should he go to the broncs, particularly since despite all their massive advantages over other clubs, they haven't been successful for decade.

Personally I think he's mad if he leaves. Players like Smith and Inglis have turned down the Broncs for similiar big coin, so its not like he wouldn't be in good company. He's now an institution on the Northern Beaches. A future captain. Premiership winner and Churchill Medal award winner. He'll be the queensland state of origin half and possibly captain for the next ten years. He also has the chance to be a one club player, with all the advantages that entails.

Why risk a great thing when you're onto it..

One thing we have in our favour that nobody has mentioned is that the Northern Beaches is awesome and Brisbane is a sh!thole.

There is nothing to say that Sid won't end up at the Scumos.

He has built up a relationship with the Big 3 in SOO and Roos Camps, and they are not shy about throwing monies at the spine :cool:

Choc should lay off harassing anyone in a Manly Jersey :idea:

I know he is good friends with Ben Barba...the thing about the Broncos is, how could they possible fit him under the salary cap? They have Barba at 1, meaning Milford will be playing 6 along Ben Hunt. It seems that DCE is not only unaffordable, but surplus to requirements.

Snake said:
I know he is good friends with Ben Barba...the thing about the Broncos is, how could they possible fit him under the salary cap? They have Barba at 1, meaning Milford will be playing 6 along Ben Hunt. It seems that DCE is not only unaffordable, but surplus to requirements.

Milford was hopeless in the game against us. They are mad to pay overs for him while he is developing. Actually they are mad to have barba and milford in the same team, unless they are planning on winning the 9s or touch footy comps.

The good news is Hunt is going to double his worth by years end.

Where do people come up with this mateship between DCE and Barba???? Is it because they are from Mackay? I'll tell you something, you'd struggle to find anyone that knows the Barba's to come out publicly and declare yourself a mate of one. Team mate maybe. Coming from the same geographical area does not make you the best of mates.

mozgrame said:

Where do people come up with this mateship between DCE and Barba???? Is it because they are from Mackay? I'll tell you something, you'd struggle to find anyone that knows the Barba's to come out publicly and declare yourself a mate of one. Team mate maybe. Coming from the same geographical area does not make you the best of mates.

That's right, Roy Masters actually comes from manly (shudder)

bob dylan said:
Yeah Hunts upgrade will be massive.

Yeah, Hunt currently leads the comp on halfback stats. Thats what gets you about the Donkeys, massive wealth, facilities, resources, junior breeding grounds. The fact that they haven't unearthed their own DCE, nor made a dint on the premiership for the last nine years is astonishing. It just emphasises the importance of team success to the reputation of individual players. Hunt appears to have all the attributes, he just hasn't had a top notch team to make him look good. That appears to be changing.

mozgrame said:

They've been mates since childhood. plenty of articles around on it, here's one.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/with-friends-like-these-barbas-mate-proves-to-be-a-cut-above-20130611-2o270.html

Central Coast Eagle said:
I don't think DCE's manager did him any favours when he asked for the contract upgrade in 2012 (I think).

He had no choice as he was on a very low contract originally.

Maybe DCE has made contact with Ricky Stuart? If the raiders offer Milford $1.2m a year imagine what they would offer DCE.

mozgrame said:

It's spread all over their Instagram accounts. They shout out to each other all the time, post pictures of dinners together when one or the other is in town etc.

xavier said:
bob dylan said:
Yeah Hunts upgrade will be massive.

Yeah, Hunt currently leads the comp on halfback stats. Thats what gets you about the Donkeys, massive wealth, facilities, resources, junior breeding grounds. The fact that they haven't unearthed their own DCE, nor made a dint on the premiership for the last nine years is astonishing. It just emphasises the importance of team success to the reputation of individual players. Hunt appears to have all the attributes, he just hasn't had a top notch team to make him look good. That appears to be changing.

he has one of the worst kicking games in the competition, and takes poor options all the time. The one saving grace is he has a fantastic running game (that he uses too much at times, especially on the 5th tackle), so he has wracked up a heap of line breaks/try assists.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4