Cummins & Robinson forgotten Rooster wasn't binned in GF?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
So in the 2013 grand final? Aubusson taking out Lyon so he can't score a try should have been a sin bin then Mr Robinson & Mr Cummins? No try scored means a binning? Lyon didn't score but Aubusson wasn't binned.

Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson admitted he thought Adam Reynolds should have gone to the sin bin after hauling down Daniel Tupou in the build-up to the opening try of Thursday's 28-8 loss to South Sydney.

The Roosters opened the lead in the 11th minute when Reynolds' kick was charged down and Tupou charged forward and looked set to score before being dragged to the ground without the ball.

However, Michael Jennings pounced on the loose ball and touched down to give the Roosters the lead at ANZ Stadium - saving Reynolds from 10 minutes on the sidelines.

It proved to be a pivotal moment with the NSW City representative involved in the build-up to the first of Greg Inglis's three tries as the premiers slumped to a comprehensive defeat.

"I thought a professional foul was a professional foul," Robinson said.

"But I may be wrong there, Ben Cummins was clearly saying that had he (Jennings) not scored the try he (Reynolds) would have gone to the bin.

"That is probably the right rule and he knows it better than I do."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/robinson-confused-by-sin-bin-ruling-20140307-34b2s.html

I think you're splitting hairs.

By awarding Lyon a Penalty Try, it's the same as if he scored.
Lyon was the one that was taken out and would've scored.

Tupou was fouled, so if Jennings wasn't there to score, Reynolds would be binned.

I know it's a tough one, but players aren't going to think "If I don't he goes to the bin"
Is six points in the bank better than playing against the opposition with a player short for 10?

StuBoot said:
Is six points in the bank better than playing against the opposition with a player short for 10?

A good question for that Middleton stats guy.

I kind of have a feeling the stat would lean a little towards the average points scored while opposition is at 10 players would be less than 6, so a yes to the question I reckon.

StuBoot said:

I hear ya, but all I am going on is this.

"But I may be wrong there, Ben Cummins was clearly saying that had he (Jennings) not scored the try he (Reynolds) would have gone to the bin."

If Jennings had not scored Cummins would have ruled a penalty try. So going on the quote above, he would have given the penalty try AND sent Reynolds to the bin.

As usual they haven't thought it through. Whether there is a try, penalty try or no try the player should go to the bin.

Instead what they are now seemingly saying is if there is a try that is punishment enough and no one goes to the bin.

But if it is a penalty try he will go the bin (unless its against Manly in a GF).

Yet when a player does go to the bin for 10, in that 10 minutes the other team now vs 12 players might get 1, 2 or 3 tries.

So last night Rorters got six points but if Reynolds was binned like he should have been and like Aubusson should have been they could have got 12 or 18 points from the professional foul. Instead they just got 6 points and Souths kept 13 players.

Jatz Crackers said:
StuBoot said:

A good question for that Middleton stats guy.

I kind of have a feeling the stat would lean a little towards the average points scored while opposition is at 10 players would be less than 6, so a yes to the question I reckon.
Although fatigue for the rest of the team is also a factor, could impact them later in the match. Provided you control the ball when you have the 1 man advantage and make them tackle heaps. We fell down in that area in one game last year, from memory.

Brissie Kid said:
StuBoot said:

I hear ya, but all I am going on is this.

"But I may be wrong there, Ben Cummins was clearly saying that had he (Jennings) not scored the try he (Reynolds) would have gone to the bin."

As usual they haven't thought it through. Whether there is a try, penalty try or no try the player should go to the bin.

Instead what they are now seemingly saying is if there is a try that is punishment enough and no one goes to the bin.

I'm with you on this, the result ( try/no try/ penalty try ) shouldn't influence the punishment or lack of.

Kind of like in soccer, I could foul an opposition player in the act of scoring - if he scores, the goal will stand and I'll get sent or if he misses, he'll still get a penalty ( 8/10 it's a goal ) and I'll still get sent.
A double whammy - makes you think twice about the foul ( sometimes)

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6