• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Eagle said:
Sheikheagle said:
I agree Darren the language can be blue however it is generally in the minority and is no worse than it was 40 years ago when I started sitting on the hill. Not sure there really is much we can do about it and I know avoiding going to games is not the answer as the club needs you and other supporters attending. Aside from reporting the culprits to security I would suggest you continue to set a good example to your kids and I am sure they will turn a blind eye to the behavior.

Lol don't like swearing? Cool there's a then family hill and if that's not good enough sit in a stand your majesty! Be sure to bring a cushion for your sitting pleasure so your supple bum doesn't get sore

Christ its a football game you should try attending a U/6s in the Penrith district and here the typical bogan mother screaming "rip his f******n head off"

Don't like swearing well there Disney on ice and probably ballet you can attend....oh and also to all the parents here's a reality check

Your kids have fouler mouths than you could possibly imagine, they learnt it at school and things will continue to decline, any kids who say they never swear and are in year 2 or higher are full of s**t, lying is worse than swearing

Grow up, the kids are worse than the adults

I can see the merits of both points of view. However I think that there is a level of swearing that is acceptable at footy games and once it gets beyond that it becomes annoying and just downright stupid.

In the end, if someone has had too much piss and is being a dribbling pest, report it to security or move to a different part of the hill.

I'm just happy theres no smoking in the ground

Nobody ever died from 2nd hand swearing but plenty
have of second hand smoking,they are the only people
i'd consider reporting

Theres always going to be "**** you ref you ****ing cheat"
and the classic "****ing hit him you stupid/lazy ****" so in 2
sentences theres 2 swear words

Is **** those ****ing ****ers acceptable? Or is there a 2 word
per sentence limit? Please tell me what you consider acceptable
Darwin

The Eagle said:
I'm just happy theres no smoking in the ground

Nobody ever died from 2nd hand swearing but plenty
have of second hand smoking,they are the only people
i'd consider reporting

Theres always going to be "f**k you ref you f**king cheat"
and the classic "f**king hit him you stupid/lazy f**k" so in 2
sentences theres 2 swear words

Is f**k those f**king F******* acceptable? Or is there a 2 word
per sentence limit? Please tell me what you consider acceptable
Darwin

Quantifying swear words is like quantifying the amount of wit used in that statement. You just can't do it.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Darren said:
Give up The Who! I agree that being there is the best. Last week was amazing but you could see big gaps. Why? A number of reasons.

. . .

5. "Fans" with vile language in front of families. A guy near me on Brookie hill last weekend screamed out Fu## cu## Fag### Slu# every 2nd word and then got worse with sexual language (in front of women and kids) It was such a shame as beautiful weather, team winning and you have to hear this trash. Shame there was no police about as I wonder if he would have done it.

As I said before (and only my opinion and not judging anyone) I would never take my family there (language etc) and I'd say that's why gates are down. Family of 4-5 tick over much more than singles. . .

There remains a heroic element that thinks attending an NRL match is a licence to carry on like a brain damaged goat on steroids. In short, behaviour they'd never think to repeat anywhere else.

It doesn't happen all the time but it happens often enough to put a significant number of potential spectators off (I met one at the leagues club before the game the other night). Particularly those who would otherwise like to take their kids, or girlfriend, or mum…

Like it or not, the future of the game spectator-wise depends upon making it a comfortable and safe experience suitable not just for groups of males but also for families.

Seeing as you're so sensitive maybe you should sit on the family hill with the other children.

I dont want my kids to listen to swearing so i don't expose them to swearing when it can be avoided.

Would these people the speak like this in front of their grandmother? If not, then why is it acceptable at the football?

A big part of the problem with Friday nights is the traffic and parking. If you are a non-beaches local you have to fight your way along Ourimbah or Military Rd, going across the Spit. It is so slow. The other option is Roseville and Warringah Rd which is almost as bad. Places like North Ryde are like car parks. I had an alternative function with work so couldn't go but the three Friday night games I have attended this year have been massive efforts. Sunday arvo is so much better on the Beaches.Sponsors are happy with Fridays (TV) but for paying fans the daytime game is great. The only thing worse than Friday night is Monday night.

Canteen Worker said:
A big part of the problem with Friday nights is the traffic and parking. If you are a non-beaches local you have to fight your way along Ourimbah or Military Rd, going across the Spit. It is so slow. The other option is Roseville and Warringah Rd which is almost as bad. Places like North Ryde are like car parks. I had an alternative function with work so couldn't go but the three Friday night games I have attended this year have been massive efforts. Sunday arvo is so much better on the Beaches.Sponsors are happy with Fridays (TV) but for paying fans the daytime game is great. The only thing worse than Friday night is Monday night.

Yeah a mate of mine travels from Castle Hill to come to Brookie for all the home games. She normally bargains on an hour and a half for Friday night games.

All I am hearing is bloody excuses. No one, and I mean NO ONE that can afford it and make the game, and is a fan of the Sea Eagles should be sitting at home saying "Oh, I would like to go but I can watch it TV. I can't be bothered". Trust me, there are a lot of them. These are the same people that turn up on GF Day and call themselves a long time fan of the club.

Money is only an excuse if you have a massive family to look after. In that case, it's your fault for having such a big burden, not ours. If it is you and the Mrs, or you alone, $169 for 10 games is not that much to ask on the scale of things. If food is extra? make it at home and eat it on the way. If you feel drinks are too expensive? Have a couple at the club before and after the game. If it is getting out there due to traffic? get the bus.

It's not that hard. When I am eventually tied down, yes I won't be going to away games anymore. That is completely understandable. However, I will make a bloody effort to get to every single Manly game at Brookvale because I care about my club and my ground.

The ones making up excuses have to start thinking about whether they really can make a game or 2 year, or if the real reason they don't go is they can't be bothered.

My mum went to her first ever game against the Knights and has said she will be buying a season ticket next year. It doesn't take much to get people hooked into going to games at Brookie, and anyone is welcome there and they cater for everyone too. My mum will sit in the Jane Try Stand, Families can sit on the Family Hill, the drunk yobbos have the top of the hill, and the Yogi Bears have their room for their picnic baskets and rugs.

In saying all this, I know a lot of Manly fans live outside of Sydney and this is not an attack on you. This is a hit on the people that make excuses for not turning up to ANY games during the season. 1 or 2 a year would make a huge difference if we all made the effort. Hell, I know people that travel from Mudgee, Foster and Emerald for EVERY Manly home game. If you can't make it from North Sydney or Narrabeen, you aren't making enough of an effort, end of story.

What happens if you prefer watching games on tv than actually attending games Jono? I know I prefer to watch games at home as I find I miss too much whilst at the game. I probably only attend a handful of games per year, this year its been less for other reasons. In saying that I still buy a season pass so I can support the club financially. Can I consider myself a long term fan of the club?

I love all the chest beating that goes along with fans attending games. Attending games does not make you a bigger fan than someone who sits at home but watches every game on TV. No doubt you are more dedicated than others who choose not to attend but you are not bigger/better supporters. For the record I have held this view back when I attended every home game in my younger days.

Jono said:
All I am hearing is bloody excuses. No one, and I mean NO ONE that can afford it and make the game, and is a fan of the Sea Eagles should be sitting at home saying "Oh, I would like to go but I can watch it TV. I can't be bothered". Trust me, there are a lot of them. These are the same people that turn up on GF Day and call themselves a long time fan of the club.

Money is only an excuse if you have a massive family to look after. In that case, it's your fault for having such a big burden, not ours. If it is you and the Mrs, or you alone, $169 for 10 games is not that much to ask on the scale of things. If food is extra? make it at home and eat it on the way. If you feel drinks are too expensive? Have a couple at the club before and after the game. If it is getting out there due to traffic? get the bus.

It's not that hard. When I am eventually tied down, yes I won't be going to away games anymore. That is completely understandable. However, I will make a bloody effort to get to every single Manly game at Brookvale because I care about my club and my ground.

The ones making up excuses have to start thinking about whether they really can make a game or 2 year, or if the real reason they don't go is they can't be bothered.

My mum went to her first ever game against the Knights and has said she will be buying a season ticket next year. It doesn't take much to get people hooked into going to games at Brookie, and anyone is welcome there and they cater for everyone too. My mum will sit in the Jane Try Stand, Families can sit on the Family Hill, the drunk yobbos have the top of the hill, and the Yogi Bears have their room for their picnic baskets and rugs.

In saying all this, I know a lot of Manly fans live outside of Sydney and this is not an attack on you. This is a hit on the people that make excuses for not turning up to ANY games during the season. 1 or 2 a year would make a huge difference if we all made the effort. Hell, I know people that travel from Mudgee, Foster and Emerald for EVERY Manly home game. If you can't make it from North Sydney or Narrabeen, you aren't making enough of an effort, end of story.

Jono,

I might be reading too much into what you have written and I agree with a lot of what you wrote however I would just like to comment on a few things that you did write.

You said "No one, and I mean NO ONE that can afford it and make the game, and is a fan of the Sea Eagles should be sitting at home saying "Oh, I would like to go but I can watch it TV. I can't be bothered"" and I agree with you on that and especially if you live locally.

You then said "Money is only an excuse if you have a massive family to look after. In that case, it's your fault for having such a big burden". Well, I don't agree with that.

You don't have to have a massive family for money to be an excuse. You only have to have a child or one or two more. Some kids may have disabilities or get sick a lot. I know that when my kids were little, all three of them had to have operations of some description to fix some minor birth defects and they were also forever being sick with asthma and/or bronchitis so we were continuously forking out money for medical expenses and being on a single income, it was extremely hard.

You will soon realise that things change a lot once you get tied down and have a young family and maybe down to a single income too. You will find that your priorities change. As much you would like to be able to attend games and buy merchandise and membership, have a nice car etc, when it comes down to a choice of having that or putting food in your kid's mouths and a roof over their heads and pay for their medical expenses etc then whatever is in your families best interests will ALWAYS be first and foremost if your priorities are right in my opinion.

I would just like to say that it has only been over the last few years since my kids have all grown up and left home that I have been able to afford to buy club membership and merchandise.

I'm glad that you said that what you wrote is not an attack on the people who live outside of Sydney as I live 1200km away from Brookie and it's very rare to be down in Sydney but I do try to get to games in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast when circumstances are right. These opportunities lately have unfortunately been hampered by the fact that my wife works an irregular working fortnight (she works 7 days straight, 2 days off, works the next 3 and then 2 off again) and the damn NRL scheduling has been a big problem and put a stop to a lot of those attendances opportunities as she has to give them a lot more than 6 weeks notice if she wants time off. Hopefully next year will be different with the fixed schedule for the first 20 weeks and the remaining game schedule released in week 16. It will make it so much easier to plan ahead and for my wife to give plenty of notice to her employer for days off over and around weekends. :)

Garts said:
What happens if you prefer watching games on tv than actually attending games Jono? I know I prefer to watch games at home as I find I miss too much whilst at the game. I probably only attend a handful of games per year, this year its been less for other reasons. In saying that I still buy a season pass so I can support the club financially. Can I consider myself a long term fan of the club?

I love all the chest beating that goes along with fans attending games. Attending games does not make you a bigger fan than someone who sits at home but watches every game on TV. No doubt you are more dedicated than others who choose not to attend but you are not bigger/better supporters. For the record I have held this view back when I attended every home game in my younger days.

Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on that "long term fan of the club" bit too. I didn't like that comment either, Jono. You may as well have brought out the old elitist "not a True Supporter" line. It would have had the same effect.

There's also the fact it was 2 home games in a row, coupled with the first bit of nice weather in months. And also, people are gearing up for the finals. I live in the st george area, I've got my membership, so the club already has my money, but I've only made it to 2 home games this year. Ticket price isn't the issue, it's the combined cost. Add food and drinks for 2 people, and it's already up to 100 a game, then add petrol, parking and an hour each way. Add to that lunch or dinner on the way and it's quite a long expensive day. 2 weeks in a row isn't gonna happen.

I think this breaking it up and playing a few games away from brookie is the only thing that will really have an impact. Because a better stadium and better transport doesn't seem like it'll happen anytime soon. If crowd numbers and financial return is what is required for the club, then games at brookie need to be infrequent and turned into experiences. 1 game a year in Perth and central coast, another few at sfs, and then brookie feels like a treat and gets packed out the same way leichhardt does.

Swearing- whether the word is new or not to a child. Hearing The F word when dad hits his thumb with a hammer, or in traffic is one thing, Being involved in a crowd situation when the words are screamed with Hate, passion and anger is very intimidating for young folk. They are only waist high, have a different view of the world, are squeezed in and are often uncomfortable with the surroundings well before the crowd goes ballistic, and the exposure to mob mentality is not healthy, regardless of how many times the kids hears the word at school.

There is a big difference between swearing and intimidation,

Its very naive to suggest that this behavior is acceptable because it happens some places, some times

I'm no angel but i do feel disappointed with myself if i go crazy in front of a child or woman. Its the standard I have set myself, feel free to set your own , but gutter standards can be tolerated but not justified

Jono, I have sat next to you on a supporters bus although you would not know who I am. I know you are a passionate supporter but you really piss me off when you start grading fan behaviour and choices. Get over yourself.

We can all argue the toss about the eagles,players,rugby league in general....all good healthy and sometimes heated debate and why these forums exist.

But telling people what they should do with their own time,their own money and their own families is both intrusive and ridiculous.Look after your own social life Jono and let others decide theirs.Even if they can afford to go and dont that has absoluteley nothing to do with you and never will.

Missing the point of the thread there Susan.

People whinging about lack of crowd, Jono meerly said why.

Most posers come up with excuses not to attend and they are all life choices and they are the ones taking offence.

If you make a choice of having a family, getting a mortgage thats too big to allow for the lifestyle you want, nice car, living in a certain area etc then man up and accept that you made the choice and stop farking whinging about it.

I have to work some weekend throughout the year and therefore miss some games, i dont come on hear and bleat about it say why can't my work change their habits to work around me because guess what, the world doesnt revolve around me. (yes i know the sun shines out of my arse).

I relate some of the whinges of people who do not attend and support the club to americans who do not vote then whinge about the result.

It is absolutly digusting how people dont take responsibilty for their own actions anymore.

jbb/james said:
Swearing- whether the word is new or not to a child. Hearing The F word when dad hits his thumb with a hammer, or in traffic is one thing, Being involved in a crowd situation when the words are screamed with Hate, passion and anger is very intimidating for young folk. They are only waist high, have a different view of the world, are squeezed in and are often uncomfortable with the surroundings well before the crowd goes ballistic, and the exposure to mob mentality is not healthy, regardless of how many times the kids hears the word at school.

There is a big difference between swearing and intimidation,

Its very naive to suggest that this behavior is acceptable because it happens some places, some times

I'm no angel but i do feel disappointed with myself if i go crazy in front of a child or woman. Its the standard I have set myself, feel free to set your own , but gutter standards can be tolerated but not justified

Would you stand next to the beer stand on the hill with a 10 year old child? Of course not. Nor would you take him to a rowdy pub for lunch or let him watch a Samuel L Jackson movie.

And if you think doing those things is suitable you shouldnt have a problem with your kids swearing

Fluffy, I agree with much of what you have said above especially the final line. I have re-read Jono's post and it does not read as though it is only directed towards those who whinge[/u] about why they don't or can't attend matches. It reads as though it is directed to anyone who has an excuse or reason for not attending and it questions the validity of those reasons.

Fluffy, I agree with much of what you have said above especially the final line. I have re-read Jono's post and it does not read as though it is only directed towards those who whinge[/u] about why they don't or can't attend matches. It reads as though it is directed to anyone who has an excuse or reason for not attending and it questions the validity of those reasons.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6