Crowd figures

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
It's been mentioned in other posts that the 11,900-odd crowd is disappointing. Driving home from the match I heard Hadley dispute the announced figures, claiming it looked more like 15,000 and that the club was reporting 'unders'.
I know Larissa has repeatedly defended the accuracy of the crowd figures.
I thought 12,000 was about right, based on recently reported figures. The 50-60 Titans supporters didn't help.
Just wondering why Hadley would raise this issue?

no way was it anywhere near 15k, I often wonder about the crowd numbers but I reckon yesterday was about right. It wasn't that packed on the hill or family end and none of the stands were packed. That being said it was pretty disappointing that we didn't get a bigger crowd on a nice sunny Sunday afternoon

Yep, i thought 13K so wasn't far off.

Our games against the titans are rarely very entertaining (no rivalry etc like bongos and scum out of town teams) and hence our crowds are always a few thousand down and there are virtually no titans supporters either.

The games this year where we would have got 16K plus on Sunday arvo or Sat night are against our old foes the Eels, the rorters and the dogs, instead we got Mondays and 1 Friday night. Souffs fans don't have jobs so could make the Friday night game and we got 20K.

Instead we had games against Knights, Canberra and titan in our desirable timeslots.

Yeah most defintely not 15000 yesterday, as usual Hadley talking about something he has no idea about!! He needs to got to OPSM like Des advised the refs after that Parra game in 2009 if he thinks that. Their was loads of room on North eastern corner of ground on the hill with very few standing at the top. Also the stands looked like they had plenty of spare seats spread all thoughout, no big areas empty but empty seats all around. The crowd figure looked correct to me, petty though with great day and sunday arvo kick off, i suppose GC isn't the big attraction to draw fans like Dogs, Souths or Parra. Will be interseting to see what kind of crowd we get for the next home game in 6 weeks time. Against the Storm but on Saturday at 7.30

Fulton-Menzies stand looked empty
Top row of the hill were the only ones standing.

usually if there are 15k+ then the top of the hill needs to be around 3 to 4 rows of standing people if not more. My guess on TV was 13 at a push

Common sense alert:

Brookie turnstiles are computer managed so that bar codes can be verified - every ticket that is used to get in to the ground (ie person) is recorded and reported.

There are no cash turnstiles at the ground - the sale and distribution of tickets is managed by a third party (Ticket master) and the accounting process will again have to have complete transparency, integrity and accuracy?

The club finances are audited each year and of course the aspects above are included in that audit so.....with all the checks and balances in place how can reported numbers be "unders" I wonder?

@[vidmar] am I right in assuming that information is actually freely available also, to appease the conspiracy minded folk out there?

There have been games where the numbers do seem wrong. We can have a packed 17K and a some room to move 19K think it was last year. They really did seem ass about.

If 12000 were there on Sunday afternoon, a move to either the SFS or Homebush would have seen 4000 at most. If Manly are forced to move to one of those stadiums it is finished as a football team.

Dan said:
@[vidmar] am I right in assuming that information is actually freely available also, to appease the conspiracy minded folk out there?

Yep, It's announced on a screen and by Grant Goldman towards the end of each game and appears on the scoreboard as well.

It's also published in various media post game...:p

Seriously though, Not sure of how the reporting is delivered from Ticketmaster and may contain other commercially sensitive data and/or figures that are not relevant to this thread.

Realistically, to enter in to correspondence with any number of people on a regular basis to have to appease curiosity or conspiracy theorists is not likely to happen I'd suggest?

As above, there is ample checks and balances in place to suggest that the figures quoted and presented are not likely to be flawed or manipulated by any great margin? (by that, there is always a chance that a turnstile doesn't work, a ticket won't read, someone with a pass or complimentary ticket enters via a staff gate or something else that may mean that a person is admitted without it registering somewhere?)

vidmar said:
Dan said:

Yep, It's announced on a screen and by Grant Goldman towards the end of each game and appears on the scoreboard as well.

It's also published in various media post game...:p

Seriously though, Not sure of how the reporting is delivered from Ticketmaster and may contain other commercially sensitive data and/or figures that are not relevant to this thread.

Realistically, to enter in to correspondence with any number of people on a regular basis to have to appease curiosity or conspiracy theorists is not likely to happen I'd suggest?

As above, there is ample checks and balances in place to suggest that the figures quoted and presented are not likely to be flawed or manipulated by any great margin? (by that, there is always a chance that a turnstile doesn't work, a ticket won't read, someone with a pass or complimentary ticket enters via a staff gate or something else that may mean that a person is admitted without it registering somewhere?)

Lol I was more referring to the financial side of things ...i.e. Annual reports and financial reports, hope you didnt bruise you fingers with that reply haha

I'm more concerned about the owner of the site not bring able to tag properly. If he can't do it what chance do us techno gumbies have. :)

What was the go with the vertical vacant strip of grass in the centre of the hill ? I've never seen that before. Was there dog poo or did someone chunder :p

Manly's crowd average this season is the 2nd lowest in the NRL if Wikipedia is to be believed... :(

119,736 accumulative for 10 games = 11,974 average.

I blame heaps of FTA Friday night games...

Mals said:
Manly's crowd average this season is the 2nd lowest in the NRL if Wikipedia is to be believed... :(

119,736 accumulative for 10 games = 11,974 average.

I blame heaps of FTA Friday night games...

The weather has been unkind.
Let's judge when we play the Boncos on a Friday night, and the 'Riff on a Sunday afternoon, weather permitting.

I wonder what our crowd stats are with say the 2pm Sunday Fox game compared to the 3pm Nein game? Do we lose many spectators who decide to stay at home & watch on FTA?

We've had 2 Sunday afternoon games against the Gummies and Faders.

Both days were rainy and miserable.

In contrast, last year we played the Squeels, Gummies and Riff (the last of which was Kitey's and George's last game). All 3 games had brilliant weather.

The core will be there regardless. But there are a lot of variables when it comes to getting that extra 3000-4000 to really bolster the crowd figures.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2