Cross code training

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Harmless27

Reserve Grader
Picking up on the theme of Val Holmes and the 49'ers having an Aussie kicking academy etc....

Why don't we see more cross-code training in Rugby League?

I'm not talking superficial stuff like Graham Arnold coaching a goal kicker - but full on, serious cross code training.

Israel Folau (for all his sins) was a gun over-head marker in Union because of his time in AFL. The Swans led the AFL tackle count regularly 10n years ago (and they point to their training with the Roosters for that).

AFL players mark balls better under pressure and kick a ball further (and more accurately). And do not give me the whole 'an AFL ball is easier to kick' rubbish. It isn't. It is bloody rock hard and has a small sweet spot. But they do it for a living, and are better at it.

Rugby Union players have a far more accurate shot at goal, and can drop kick a ball far more efficiently than many Rugby League players. WHY?

It strikes me that some of these skills are 'add ons' in Rugby League, as opposed to areas of value and expertise.

Am I judging too harshly? Or is there merit to the argument?

Yes cross code training could definitely help a lot. Ricky has been over in Japan helping the English rugby team at the world cup and some of their sweeping backline moves look like they have come from league.

From rugby they could learn about holding/stealing the ball in tackles (it's interesting that there is no reefing of the ball in rugby like there is now in league), mauls (which could be used in tackles in both defence and attack) and dare I say scrums (oh how I would love a contest brought back into scrums).

The ball in union is more fatter than the league ball so does travel better off the boot but all backs in league could learn how to kick like they do in union. It does seem like the league coaches have finally realised about the different variations in how to kick a ball to put more pressure on the catcher. But I would love to see more short kick offs with players attacking the ball from the kick off (as the Walker brothers have used regularly in the QLD cup).

As far as I can recall, the best crossover in terms of catching (bombs, etc.) was basketball. The best backs that had "soft hands" usually also played basketball when growing up. I assume Jorge did not.

Picking up on the theme of Val Holmes and the 49'ers having an Aussie kicking academy etc....

Why don't we see more cross-code training in Rugby League?

I'm not talking superficial stuff like Graham Arnold coaching a goal kicker - but full on, serious cross code training.

Israel Folau (for all his sins) was a gun over-head marker in Union because of his time in AFL. The Swans led the AFL tackle count regularly 10n years ago (and they point to their training with the Roosters for that).

AFL players mark balls better under pressure and kick a ball further (and more accurately). And do not give me the whole 'an AFL ball is easier to kick' rubbish. It isn't. It is bloody rock hard and has a small sweet spot. But they do it for a living, and are better at it.

Rugby Union players have a far more accurate shot at goal, and can drop kick a ball far more efficiently than many Rugby League players. WHY?

It strikes me that some of these skills are 'add ons' in Rugby League, as opposed to areas of value and expertise.

Am I judging too harshly? Or is there merit to the argument?
The balls in union are slightly fatter with a bigger sweet spot area.. they also travel further than league balls. I find kicking the Gilbert much easier myself

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2