Bronson Xerri: Ban over. Off to Dogs?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm disappointed to read the first reported response by Xerri was "I'm gutted". But he didn't elaborate why.
Surely if he was innocent he should have shouted it to everyone. "I'm gutted because I didn't knowingly take any drugs!"
Or as a mea culpa:
"I'm gutted because my quest to improve my performance has ruined my career",
Or an an explanation:
"I'm gutted because medical experts I trusted to treat my injury have ruined my career..."
His response, to me, simply suggests he's gutted because he got caught.

Yet another young prick who thinks he is bigger then the game, can do what he wants, doesn't have to follow rules,and will always earn his million a year.

Why gives two ****s if it was a once off, or a course of conduct.

If league doesn't put an end to these **** wit players mis behaviour and rub em out of the game, there won't be a game.

Sponsors take Ur money and run.

I absolutely hate drug cheats and am saddened that the powers that be are really quite ineffective. You keep hearing about people getting multiple random drug tests but is there really that amount of tests done. I understand it is most probably costly to do, but at the moment it just seems to be a bit of a joke, relying on whistleblowers rather than being proactive. It is little wonder these kids are taking the risk, if the likelihood of getting tested is rare

All these CEO's and Coaches need to go to the Wayne Bennettt school of getting players into rehab and avoid these f#ck ups.

I'm disappointed to read the first reported response by Xerri was "I'm gutted". But he didn't elaborate why.
Surely if he was innocent he should have shouted it to everyone. "I'm gutted because I didn't knowingly take any drugs!"
Or as a mea culpa:
"I'm gutted because my quest to improve my performance has ruined my career",
Or an an explanation:
"I'm gutted because medical experts I trusted to treat my injury have ruined my career..."
His response, to me, simply suggests he's gutted because he got caught.
I think he is gutted because he won't be out there on the weekend with "the boys"... Sometimes I wonder why people bother releasing statements to the press - I read his and thought, 'why bother'.

These are observations from his sprint coach Alberto Salazaar Fabri:

"The rate of improvement was consistent with an athlete that could just focus solely on (speed)," Fabri said.

"The work ethic of this guy has been absolutely exceptional."

Fabri has worked with a host of NRL stars as well as many of Australia's biggest sporting names over the years.

Training some rugby league players during the shutdown, Fabri said many of them allowed their standards to slip, not Xerri.

"He's one of the few that dotted every i and crossed every t," he said.

"I'm a little bit old school, I see the people that want to take performance-enhancing drugs are looking for a shortcut and maybe not do the work that comes along with it.

Point to note:

People these days don't take banned substances as a shortcut. Most do it so they can combine increasing power with the ability to train more and harder with less recovery needed. The needles in the arse and bacne days are long gone.

If what I have been reading today is true, apparently Xerri's drug taking (performance type, not stuff like dope) was an open secret within Cronulla's junior ranks.

If true he has no one to blame but himself.

However, at the same time some responsibility should be on Greenturd and the NRL for their slap on the wrist response to Cronulla's drug taking. Essendon in the AFL got crucified, Cronulla basically got away with it and were allowed to keep what most regard as an ill gotten premiership win. It sent the message that players will pretty much get away with it.

Last edited:

Sharks young gun Bronson Xerri was specifically targeted by ASADA after an anonymous tip suggested the rookie had been using performance enhancing substances for years.

Fox Sports has learned question marks about Xerri’s alleged use of performance enhancing supplements was an open secret in the Cronulla junior system.

The NRL could do worse than spring a mass testing of every club's entire NRL squad. Would show the rest of the game is clean, or at least weed out some more cheats.

Here is the problem... If it an issue within junior ranks then where do you start. Do you start testing 15 year olds?

I wonder how many juniors miss out on progressing and making the grade because they don't get on the juice, and are up against players that do.

Very good question. But if nothing else, it would flag clearly that the game at senior professional level is now zero tolerant of drug cheating (emphasis on 'now'), and hopefully raise awareness throughout the game. As it stands, there's simply too much going on right now, but if another player was busted something like that may well happen.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2