Cronulla turning into Norths

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

kingyfan

Reserve Grader
Friday's game will be harder than most think. Remember norths used to always give Manly a hard time especially at bear park.

IF space exploration is the last challenge for mankind, then turning Cronulla into a winning side is the final frontier of success in rugby league.

It's again that time of year when the weather turns cold, horticulturalists start harvesting winter flowers and Cronulla drop out of semi-final calculations.

It is part of this city's annual rhythm of life.

It traumatises supporters, frightens management, makes sponsors wary and re-establishes the place as the death valley of coaching.

Inevitably Cronulla start well, then gradually falter until, at best, they limp into the semi-finals where they quickly fade.

It was there for all to see on Saturday night when they lost 23-12 to the Roosters, who are not exactly a yardstick of performances standards in the premiership.

Cronulla were out-enthused by a team that was as fresh and well-meaning as a New Year's resolution. Hopefully the Roosters' revival will prove more durable.

The attitude from both sides was revealing.

The Roosters, realising all hope of the semi-finals had realistically gone, performed with the easy style of a side not under pressure.

Cronulla, although competitive and earnest, played like a side under pressure to succeed that was even more intimidating than the opposition defence.

That's six losses from seven games for Cronulla.

The stats are not necessarily a criticism of coach Ricky Stuart but he does look increasingly like a tightly wound spring as he looks for answers.
Maybe there aren't any answers.

Maybe Cronulla is simply destined to be the new North Sydney of the premiership.

Norths were rugby league's most flamboyant failures. They spent fortunes putting sides together in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s without success and became almost a by-word for ineptitude.

Cronulla have not reached that stage yet.

But Test coaches including Johnny Raper, Chris Anderson and now Ricky Stuart have failed to invigorate the side.

John Lang, like Stuart and Anderson a premiership winnner (Penrith 2003), was unable to lift the club. Nor was Jack Gibson.

Cronulla's only moments of glory came with grand final appearances in 1973 and 1978, both of which they lost to Manly.

Maybe Cronulla could try feng shui as they search for their first premiership.

It's all that is left.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Excellent summation KF. With tools like Greg Bird running around they'll fade soon enough. I still can't believe they've had the wood on us down there, for ever. I just love to see Stuart look like crap after a loss.

But Test coaches including Johnny Raper, Chris Anderson and now Ricky Stuart have failed to invigorate the side.
I saw this article in the telecrap and was surprised that I had missed Johnny's foray into the coaching ranks or indeed Stuart Rapers stint as test coach.

Opps Wikipedia is handy just read up where Johnny coached the gummies in the mid 70's, could not find where he coached Australia howerver.

What an absolutely pathetic peice of journalism. Obviously a bityter Sharks fan wanting to lash out at anything they can get their hands on. The Bears are gone. Get over it.

Also - The Bears won 2 Premierships.

The Sharks?

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6