Critical part of the Modern game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
The modern game has a massive advantage that is printed in every match....the halves that dominate are on the back of the forwards winning the middle third.
Who helps the forwards?
Obviously their own attitude, strength, aggression, off field commitment, good dummy half service and astute coaching.
But theres a Huge element overlooked.....
The fullback, wingers and centres winning the early tackles with big carries, setting up a roll on that the forwards cash in on.
I recall the old days when forwards had to sprint back to take tackle 2 or at least tackle 3.
This is now the duty of the outside backs and today, forwards save energy during this period and can regroup the attacking shape - the more metres and ground after contact of these backs, dictates most sets.
Really makes me busted to see Taufua out for 2017, as he and Uate with Turbo, Walker and Kelly were outstanding in this area....Taufua 1 of the strongest wingers in the NRL.
Anyway - will be a battle, but I'm confident Barrett will have a plan....Wright can kick goals and is ok, so not out to knock him...but so much extra thrust with Taufua on the early hit ups, plus would have scored 2 extra tries.

Certainly does lay a good platform when our back three are doing an effective job taking the ball up in the early part of a set . Jorge will of course be missed but Matty Wright is still a solidly built lad and providing he just makes some initial ground and then with a quick play the ball , this will be sufficient . But as you have often mentioned in regard to this season Maxta , Manly"s energy level has been quite impressive and if this can be maintained against the Sharks, will go a long way to gain an important win for an improved ladder position .

Yeah this is what makes it hard to compare eras. In another thread we have a manly team to play for your life. In honesty boustead, shearer and ridgey are serious options for the back 3 . Although wombat would be the pick. But how would these 3 champions fare today ?. In Laying a platform

But to answer your question, the defence and the pressure on the kicker especially helps the back 3. It can be the difference between someone retreating to get a kick or catching the ball on the fly and chewing up the easy metres. Its a team game. Everyone job has an impact elsewhere

Yeah this is what makes it hard to compare eras. In another thread we have a manly team to play for your life. In honesty boustead, shearer and ridgey are serious options for the back 3 . Although wombat would be the pick. But how would these 3 champions fare today ?. In Laying a platform

But to answer your question, the defence and the pressure on the kicker especially helps the back 3. It can be the difference between someone retreating to get a kick or catching the ball on the fly and chewing up the easy metres. Its a team game. Everyone job has an impact elsewhere
I think your point at the back

*Pressure - defensive play
*Kicker - finding the grass/position

Will be the deciding factor tonight

Seeing as it's accepted that Jorge a) isn't fast and b) is useless under the high ball, with some saying he should move to the forwards, shouldn't we just reverse engineer that and start AFB on the wing?

Isn't the most critical point in the modern game - is to keep supporters engaged with the game. Crowds are down, bad PR all-round, poor management from the NRL., poor off field performances from players. How come AFL fills the stadiums and we can't?

It's a deadset shame. The NRL has been mis-managed from day 1. Coming out of the shambles that was the Super league war it was understandable to make a few wrong turns here and there but for an organisation that has been in existence for nearly 20 years it really is inexcusable. As Tooves would say there needs to be an investigation, and the game needs a total rebuild from the top down in my opinion.

Seeing as it's accepted that Jorge a) isn't fast and b) is useless under the high ball, with some saying he should move to the forwards, shouldn't we just reverse engineer that and start AFB on the wing?
Yes
Can imagine AFB from 10m out scoring those tries based on Explosive power and speed....
Let's keep AFB in the middle hey

Isn't the most critical point in the modern game - is to keep supporters engaged with the game. Crowds are down, bad PR all-round, poor management from the NRL., poor off field performances from players. How come AFL fills the stadiums and we can't?
Where to begin?
Some of the more primitive aspects of league that made it such compelling viewing have been rendered obsolete and in their place we have a bland formulaic product that looks remarkably similar in each game.
Not to mention the players now flit from team to team at a moment's notice, clubs are owned by millionaires, all that's left to support is the jersey - and there are about 7 versions of that too!

The modern game has a massive advantage that is printed in every match....the halves that dominate are on the back of the forwards winning the middle third.
Who helps the forwards?
Obviously their own attitude, strength, aggression, off field commitment, good dummy half service and astute coaching.
But theres a Huge element overlooked.....
The fullback, wingers and centres winning the early tackles with big carries, setting up a roll on that the forwards cash in on.
I recall the old days when forwards had to sprint back to take tackle 2 or at least tackle 3.
This is now the duty of the outside backs and today, forwards save energy during this period and can regroup the attacking shape - the more metres and ground after contact of these backs, dictates most sets.
Really makes me busted to see Taufua out for 2017, as he and Uate with Turbo, Walker and Kelly were outstanding in this area....Taufua 1 of the strongest wingers in the NRL.
Anyway - will be a battle, but I'm confident Barrett will have a plan....Wright can kick goals and is ok, so not out to knock him...but so much extra thrust with Taufua on the early hit ups, plus would have scored 2 extra tries.
The refs and toddy decide who wins games

The refs and toddy decide who wins games
The refs and friends influence a game, the players win it.
As fans we can expect the players to rise against the odds, or play the "lets blame a ref card" all day

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8