Cringe-worthy English

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lismore_fan

Bencher
Ok, you don't have to speak the Queen's English to play Rugby League..... but Cameron Smith's acceptance speech was shocking, to say the least!

He IS the Australian Captain. Surely there must be some speech writers who can tell him there is no such word as 'youse'. He only used it at least ten times.

The commentators of our great game are equally as bad!
Fatty, the Johns' brothers, Freddy, the entire Game Plan should be put in the same class with Smith. After all, they are paid to speak!

So come on all you English dunces out there in Forum Land - bag me 'cos I talk proper!

Johns' corrected.

Ok, I'll start.

I have never heard anyone from Lismore speak correctly.

:p ;)

edit: I agree

Hehe, agreed. I would love a dollar for every time a former League player in the media says something like the following... 'Me and Cooper' instead of 'Cooper and I'. Or 'I done....' not 'I did...'

RE: Just a reminder. We are great

lismore_fan said:
Ok, you don't have to speak the Queen's English to play Rugby League..... but Cameron Smith's acceptance speech was shocking, to say the least!

He IS the Australian Captain. Surely there must be some speech writers who can tell him there is no such word as 'youse'. He only used it at least ten times.

Fatty, the John's brothers, Freddy, the entire Game Plan should be put in the same class with Smith. After all, they are paid to speak!

So come on all you English dunces out there in Forum Land - bag me 'cos I talk proper!

You may "talk proper", but like most people nowadays you don't know how to use apostrophes correctly ("the John's brothers"...really!). And "he only used it at least ten times" is a grammatical disaster! :p

Mals said:
Hehe, agreed. I would love a dollar for every time a former League player in the media says something like the following... 'Me and Cooper' instead of 'Cooper and I'. Or 'I done....' not 'I did...'

Or "should of" instead of "should have", or the letter H pronounced as "haitch"...

lismore_fan said:

Fatty, the John's brothers, Freddy, the entire Game Plan should be put in the same class with Smith. After all, they are paid to speak!

As much as I hate Mick Ennis his speech was one of the better I have ever heard from a league player.

lismore_fan said:

"And I love youse all". Pretty sure Jeff Fenech is his speech writer these days...

lismore_fan said:

allow me to correct this - he only yoused 'youse' ten times

Where's Fro? Surely this could be an appropriate role for him. Rugby League Etiquette Coach.

Nuttybott said:
Or "should of" instead of "should have", or the letter H pronounced as "haitch"...

Should of , could of , would of.....This is a pet hate of mine too. However if I may be pendantic, it's more to do with written language than spoken language. "Should of" comes from the way the abbreviated form of should have (should've) is pronounced, thus people transcribe it as it sounds. Still no excuse though.

Haitch and aitch I'm lead to believe are both acceptable these days. However they are indicators of your pedigree apparently, "haitch" is Irish Catholic and "aitch" is English Protestant.

I did notice Cameron Smith's excessive use of youse, this from a player with designs on a media career post football. He should fit right in with the rest of the ex player commentators on that evidence, he done a good job.

This thread is part of the "who gives a flying ****" series of off season threads

The merkin just won his first premiership, he should've had a speech prepared

Anyone watch the AFL awards this year? The winner spoke for about 20 minutes whilst Ben Barba had terrible stringing 2 words together, if there's any travesties around speeches this is where they really lie, not in Cameron Smiths post game speech

Its little wonder they are considering canning the Dally M

Chip and Chase said:
Should of , could of , would of.....This is a pet hate of mine too. However if I may be pendantic, it's more to do with written language than spoken language. "Should of" comes from the way the abbreviated form of should have (should've) is pronounced, thus people transcribe it as it sounds. Still no excuse though.

Haitch and aitch I'm lead to believe are both acceptable these days. However they are indicators of your pedigree apparently, "haitch" is Irish Catholic and "aitch" is English Protestant.

I did notice Cameron Smith's excessive use of youse, this from a player with designs on a media career post football. He should fit right in with the rest of the ex player commentators on that evidence, he done a good job.

Led :)

Chip and Chase said:
Haitch and aitch I'm lead to believe are both acceptable these days. However they are indicators of your pedigree apparently, "haitch" is Irish Catholic
Yes I did know that, but despite its widespread usage "haitch" is still regarded as nonstandard English ie. there is no dictionary anywhere that recognises it as a legitimate pronunciation, no matter how many Irish Catholics say it that way...

Jatz Crackers said:
Chip and Chase said:

Led :)

Touche. The dangers of replying to posts on spelling or grammar are evident to all who dare tread there, lest you end up looking the bigger fool. I'm no Fro, that man is fearless. I was more concerned with getting my apostrophes in the right spot.

I'm still here, just been busy with the birth of child number 3 and all that goes with that.

Yes footballers are meatheads, but are we really surprised?

I can't believe I am saying this but I tend to agree with Shanes post above... Who really cares :)

If I was at the National Speech League Grand Final i might have had an issue with it, but I was there to watch 34 blokes smash each other, couldnt care less if he grunted post match

I agree KE.
BUT :) the one that drives me crazy is the death of the adverb. As an example - "He played superb". Superb is an adjective "What superb play". Add it as part of a verb and it should be "superbly". I don't blame the yanks but they have used words this way for a century and it has filtered to here. Corporate slogans of "Think different" (Apple) are everywhere. But damn my dad for correcting me all those years as it hurts every time I hear or see it.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2