Crazy training

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Just spotted a couple of doozies in this morning's news, I'm sure there's been plenty of other examples over the years.

case 1
In 1975, however, Tuddenham’s methods became too much for some of his teammates and charges when, after an 80-point loss to Carlton in Round 14, he demanded they crawl on hands and knees around the training oval twice. Former Bomber Barry Davis recalls, playing for North Melbourne at the time, recalls, “They had to get down on hands and knees and go right around the whole 400 metres, twice.”

Another former player, Ken Fletcher, told the historian Dan Eddy that Tuddenham, “lost every single player for the way he treated us that day”. “And if everyone had not got down and done it, then no-one would’ve played the next week. None of us liked doing it, but we all did it. It was really degrading.
“The most degrading thing I have ever done in my life, in fact.”

case 2:
Defence is investigating a training mishap where soldiers sunk to the bottom of a swimming pool while wearing 20 kilogram weighted vests.
The ABC has confirmed that one of the participants was taken to hospital as a precaution, while Army sources claim another also had to be rescued from the water.
Witnesses claim both soldiers came close to drowning during last week's incident, and a lifesaver assigned to the activity had been unable to reach the bottom of the pool.

Maybe a little over the Top but I definately like a real big reality check after an underwhelming performance....unsure of crawling on all 4's but in the end - from a coaching perspective - it's sometimes the odd rocket that hit's home...
My favourite junior coach used to make us simply tackle bags, each other and kids from older grades for 60 - 70 minutes if leaked too many points...
He also played the rocky theme and we will rock you to light up the dressing room pre game and had us trained by ET at his gym and better still - ET's wife monique would help us stretch up pre game which was the best training you could ever get !!
Personally as a ritual I would train at the gym half hour or so if I was unhappy with personal performance after a game Win, lose or draw....
Every individual, team and coaches have various training and it really comes down to "what works" and the hardest thing is players have different cultures, ideals, relifions ect and what works for 1 - does not for the other....that's why I think the best coaches have that personal touch, edge where the players will buy into everything from training to game plans.

The problem with this approach is that is focused on punishment and deterrence. Doesn't work with the modern crop of footballers. Maquire and the Tigers is a perfect example of how trying to rule with an iron fist is not a road to success.

Just spotted a couple of doozies in this morning's news, I'm sure there's been plenty of other examples over the years.

case 1
In 1975, however, Tuddenham’s methods became too much for some of his teammates and charges when, after an 80-point loss to Carlton in Round 14, he demanded they crawl on hands and knees around the training oval twice. Former Bomber Barry Davis recalls, playing for North Melbourne at the time, recalls, “They had to get down on hands and knees and go right around the whole 400 metres, twice.”

Another former player, Ken Fletcher, told the historian Dan Eddy that Tuddenham, “lost every single player for the way he treated us that day”. “And if everyone had not got down and done it, then no-one would’ve played the next week. None of us liked doing it, but we all did it. It was really degrading.
“The most degrading thing I have ever done in my life, in fact.”

case 2:
Defence is investigating a training mishap where soldiers sunk to the bottom of a swimming pool while wearing 20 kilogram weighted vests.
The ABC has confirmed that one of the participants was taken to hospital as a precaution, while Army sources claim another also had to be rescued from the water.
Witnesses claim both soldiers came close to drowning during last week's incident, and a lifesaver assigned to the activity had been unable to reach the bottom of the pool.

Funnily enough, crawling is now a common exercise (not usually done on the knees though). It is mostly known as "the bear crawl" - a great all round exercise for cardio, mobility and strength.

It's hard as f*ck and I certainly wouldn't recommend trying 800 meters.

One of our teachers at school in the late 1960's was a maori called Mr Waldron He was also our school rugby coach

He always took his cane to rugby training and spent most of training belting the crap out of us on the back of the legs for things like being the last player to a ruck, dropping the ball etc

No wonder the all blacks always beat the wallabies if they are brought up training like that in NZ

I just remember hill repeats with my second row partner on my back, then squats, the hopping 100m right leg, return left leg ... then hill repeats ... tired just thinking about it

I remember Jack Gibson, as coach of Eastern Suburbs, once had his whole squad run 40 or so, laps of the old Sports Ground, as they had lost by that many points the previous week.
Normal training started after that, with a hint that it would be repeated if the team lost badly again.

Last edited:
The problem with this approach is that is focused on punishment and deterrence. Doesn't work with the modern crop of footballers. Maquire and the Tigers is a perfect example of how trying to rule with an iron fist is not a road to success.

I am on Maguires side

You cannot rule with an iron fist to a bunch of soft cock pussycats

Maguire needs real tiger man to get the west tigers up

Maybe a little over the Top but I definately like a real big reality check after an underwhelming performance....unsure of crawling on all 4's but in the end - from a coaching perspective - it's sometimes the odd rocket that hit's home...
My favourite junior coach used to make us simply tackle bags, each other and kids from older grades for 60 - 70 minutes if leaked too many points...
He also played the rocky theme and we will rock you to light up the dressing room pre game and had us trained by ET at his gym and better still - ET's wife monique would help us stretch up pre game which was the best training you could ever get !!
Personally as a ritual I would train at the gym half hour or so if I was unhappy with personal performance after a game Win, lose or draw....
Every individual, team and coaches have various training and it really comes down to "what works" and the hardest thing is players have different cultures, ideals, relifions ect and what works for 1 - does not for the other....that's why I think the best coaches have that personal touch, edge where the players will buy into everything from training to game plans.
IMO unless you start vomiting at the end of a hard gruelling session you have not being pushed hard enough by your trainer

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8