Courageous Lyon the pride of his teammates

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
Date September 19, 2012
HE'S Manly's own Lyon King.

In the Oxford Dictionary, the word ''lion'' is defined as ''a brave or celebrated person''.

It may be spelt differently but the Lyon surname couldn't be more fitting for a player considered by his peers the bravest of the bunch.

His decision to overlook personal glory and make himself ineligible for representative football at a time when coaches were begging for his services is testament to his leadership and commitment to the Sea Eagles.

Advertisement

The 30-year-old went into last Friday night's semi-final against the Cowboys under an injury cloud, but you knew if he was to play, he wouldn't have put himself ahead of the team.

That's why Jamie Lyon's players love playing under him.

The calf injury he suffered against the Bulldogs in the opening week of the finals unsettled a few of the younger brigade at the Sea Eagles, who look up to the veteran centre.

But when word got out last Thursday that their co-captain would be taking the field, there was a sudden sense of optimism around the group.

Not only did he play, but he once again starred on the big stage and personified how important he is to the reigning premiers.

''I think everyone knows how classy he is,'' five-eighth Kieran Foran said. ''That performance [last week] would rate very highly among our team. When we found out on Thursday that he was going to be taking the field, it just lifted everyone's spirits straight away. Everyone was a lot more confident. He's a massive part of this side.''

Lyon left the field in the 23rd minute of the opening final against Canterbury almost a fortnight ago.

His team were involved in a series of push-and-shoves and Foran admitted the Sea Eagles were guilty of losing their way without him on the paddock.

''Yeah, we did,'' he said. ''Not only do you lose a lot on that right edge because of the combination Glenn [Stewart] and Jamie have got together, you just lose his leadership.

''He knows what to say at the right time. Just in that game, it was such a heated game, we just weren't on our game and things were going against us. His leadership would've been great out there. I think he just would've known how to pull the boys back together again and make sure we got back on the right path. You feel his presence lost when he goes off.''

Because of Lyon's decision to retire from representative football, he's often overlooked when there's debate over who is the world's best centre.

Greg Inglis and Justin Hodges have been the first-pick Australian Test centres for several years but Kiwi centre Steve Matai has no doubt his Sea Eagles teammate would be a shoo-in if he was to make himself eligible.

''He's the best centre in the world,'' Matai said. ''He's just got so much class. He's also got great footwork, he's a good leader … he's all class. I reckon he's the best centre in the game.

''As a captain, he's not a man of many words, but he likes to lead through his actions on the field. He and Kingy [co-captain Jason King] do. When we see what they do on the field, it inspires us to want to run harder and hit harder.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/courageous-lyon-the-pride-of-his-teammates-20120918-264rm.html#ixzz26u8P4L8g

This guy is the best rugby league in the WORLD.

I LOVE THIS GUY IN A MAN LOVE KINDA WAY.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6