Countdown to selectageddon

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This is one of our biggest problems. our forwards are so lazy "off the ball" they rarely ever support and even in the first couple sets of 6 they can't/won't push up. This is one thing Davey does extremely well and another reason he should start.
We are a team if X factor but a team that does NOT do all the little things well
I had a 340 V8 Valiant Charger and when it needed tuning it was not running on all cylinders and you could tell the difference with performance and it is the same with our team

It appears other teams have been playing with a higher intensity than ours and this is due to having a higher quality players than us across the park when we have our back up players filling in and that is when we have our backs to the wall .

Speaking of back up players..... the way Tiger Doueihi easily brushed off Ben Turbo to score that soft try was a an example of the quality we have backing us up and the cricket score against us was proof of that .

It appears other teams have been playing with a higher intensity than ours
A recurring theme last year was lack of composure. Teams would score easy early points against us due to our weak edge defences (via kicks or overlaps). When this happened, mostly we didn't recover. I am hoping Foran stays healthy & is able to steady the team, enabling them to fight back when behind on the scoreboard. Last year, we became flustered very easily in games after Turbo was sidelined. When this type of malaise happens in a sporting team, wholesale infusions of new blood can be an antidote. Unfortunately, Des didn't do this. I guess he was hampered to some extent by Covid with so many members of the squad not having match fitness.

Yes it's a fair point. The good teams always throw "good shapes" at the opposition defence in most plays of most sets. Whereas the lesser teams tend to have to set up for 1 or 2 big plays each set in which they attack with good shape, and the rest of the time players are just strung out like washing. I would agree that's our biggest problem in attack.

But these " good shapes " are provided by a playmaker giving the team direction . Having moving bodies is much better if said playmaker takes ball to the defence to committ defenders rather than flopping it back before defence has committed to anyone allowing them to adjust with oodles of time

We could have 2 decoys, and inside man, and outside man and the fullback trailing but unless the defence committs, they hold there line and wrap up player x with ease

Last year we had walker committ defenders and he played little and parker benefitted. Tom also plays this role but when they were injured it was criss cross grab as no one else in key positions is prepared to take a hit for the team

Cust had a go but was a bit eratic and we had such poor field position mostly teams rolled the dice and went him as his running game isnt that dangerous

ut these " good shapes " are provided by a playmaker giving the team direction
I think it's more than that. Storm and Chooks have had very stable lineups for a couple of years and they are drilled mercilessly (that's my guess anyway). So even when Storm were swapping Croft and Hughes and Chooks had flanagan or Walker the team still knew where to be.

Good question Supreme Leader. Dunno who kicked the goals it was extremely hard to take it all in given the sun was burning a holes in your eyes and the beers were burning holes in my brain ( perhaps more of the latter ) and our team was very different to what it normally would be and quite a few I didn't instantly recognize. Was it the young half back ??

I was assuming Garrick will be Goalkicker Round 1 no matter what....but who knows Cherry as the fallback.
Funa kicked two goals, Garrick one.

I know what you (and others) are talking about, but one of the biggest differences between us and the likes of Storm, Roosters, Raiders and Panthers is bodies in motion. Jake isn't fooling anyone because there is rarely anyone pushing up with him at speed. DCE often runs around like a headless chook because there are not many options being presented. And a primary reason why we are so much more dangerous with Tom in the team is because he is always 'on the ball' helping to create options and putting that defensive line under stress decision making wise.
I totally agree with this observation. The packs for the top 4 teams are much more effective in defence and work much harder than our pack does off the ball. We allow the opposition momentum in almost every set and wind up gassed in no time. I know that we get murdered by the referees with the six again rule but an after being hit with a crunching tackle the runner won't be jumping straight to his feet as often. We've become jumper grabbers and huggers. IMO we play too flat with the ball and as a result we rarely have hole runners for our ball players to hit. In addition we are very easy to defend against. Our tacticians need a reboot and to effectively engage with the landscape we are facing. From what I saw in the trial game we are still out of touch. I hoping to see something very different come round 1 against the Rorters because if things don't change they will put 60 on us.

I am prepared to accept in good faith any team selected for round one ... without any knowledge of who's been training where, and what adjustments (if any) have been made to our structures and game plans.. I will trust the coaching staff to have an idea of how they want the game played ... and who they want to execute it ..

But, I will be as vocal as anybody if it doesn't work and we get into another situation of flogging the same dead horse every week without trying different options ...

Likely Roosters Team:

01. James Tedesco
02. Daniel Tupou
03. Josh Morris
04. Joesph Manu
05. Brett Morris
06. Victor Radley (or Lachlan Lam)
07. Luke Keary
08. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
09. Nathan Friend
10. Siosiua Tuakeiaho
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Angus Crichton
13. Isaac Liu (or Victor Radley)

14. Sam Verrills
15. Lindsay Collins
16. Daniel Suluka-Fifita (or Isaac Liu)
17. Sitili Tupouniua

Talk about stacked - wowzers (we are in trouble)

OH YE of little faith ... we'll flog the mugs, we'll pull their noses, we'll twist their ears and we'll give them the monkey grip to teach them respect !!!

I think it's more than that. Storm and Chooks have had very stable lineups for a couple of years and they are drilled mercilessly (that's my guess anyway). So even when Storm were swapping Croft and Hughes and Chooks had flanagan or Walker the team still knew where to be.

Its probably a little from column A and a litle from column B, with improvement in both areas needed .
At times the forwards look disinterested playing there own game and doing there own thing , but i also see parts of our game from the backs that dont appear on the same song sheet with respect to field position and respect for the ball they often wait and work long and hard for

All i know is that when turbo is there the team is up . And when he isnt well they look defeated

Our game should not revolve around the fullback and it is telling that it does , its akey position , he is a great player but the game should tick over without him, albeit without his classy finishes
We all know it, as do our players .

He should be the cherry on top not the whole sundae

I honestly think our forwards are jaded from pep talks and lip service from some that dont follow through.
Its a long reach and its a personal view but watch them at times when we throw a dodgy ball into touch on 4th after ten minutes of tackling.

Remember years ago when commentators talked about a teams body language

They want to relaese the pressure valve by transferring the pressure

The good thing is that we are entering the season without high expectations, so we will be pleasantly surprised if we have good early results.

In contrast, on the back of our 2019* form, we started 2020 with high expectations which quickly evaporated when Turbo & Walker went down in round six...

* Throughout the 2019 season, we didn't win three consecutive games - can't really claim to be a serious contender without more consistency in the season

The good thing is that we are entering the season without high expectations, so we will be pleasantly surprised if we have good early results.

In contrast, on the back of our 2019* form, we started 2020 with high expectations which quickly evaporated when Turbo & Walker went down in round six...

* Throughout the 2019 season, we didn't win three consecutive games - can't really claim to be a serious contender without more consistency in the season
I believe we should always enter every season and every football ground with the high expectations and standards our that our Legendary clubs proud history was built on

Any coach and players that do not live up to those standards should move on

No one should tarnish our Legendary clubs proud history

We have not won a grand final since 2011 and we will never win another one if we just rest and live on our laurels

WE MUST RAISE OUR STANDARDS AND RISE LIKE GREAT SEA EAGLES ONCE AGAIN !

OVER TO YOU DESMOND !!!

23102019014.jpg

I believe we should always enter every season and every football ground with the high expectations and standards our that our Legendary clubs proud history was built on

Any coach and players that do not live up to those standards should move on

No one should tarnish our Legendary clubs proud history

We have not won a grand final since 2011 and we will never win another one if we just rest and live on our laurels

WE MUST RAISE OUR STANDARDS AND RISE LIKE GREAT SEA EAGLES ONCE AGAIN !

OVER TO YOU DESMOND !!!

View attachment 17143
I agree with that. I wish the NRL would realise the product they sell is hope. But contantly favouring some clubs they lose potential customers before a ball is even kicked in anger

The off season should be all about hope and this is our year but for many clubs that just isnt the case

My off season hopes generally go like this
I hope the nrl finds its balls and starts dictating to broadcasters for the long term good of our game and the clubs that built it before they relied on tv to fund it

I used to have 2 but greenberg is dead to us now

Go manly, you can do it

Also add to that , they move out a $400k player and move in a $800k player with cap impunity.

I agree with that. I wish the NRL would realise the product they sell is hope. But contantly favouring some clubs they lose potential customers before a ball is even kicked in anger

The off season should be all about hope and this is our year but for many clubs that just isnt the case

My off season hopes generally go like this
I hope the nrl finds its balls and starts dictating to broadcasters for the long term good of our game and the clubs that built it before they relied on tv to fund it

I used to have 2 but greenberg is dead to us now

Go manly, you can do it

We have become like the English Super League ( you’ve been there so you’ll know ) really it’s only about 3 or 4 of the sides that will ever win , the rest are there to make up the competition which they flog to TV for squillions.

Occasionally we will get a team from 6-8 that might pull a miracle but that’s going to be the oddity rather than the norm.

I live in hope as well as that’s all we have but the reality is against the rich and powerful clubs we are pushing **** up hill !!

Good point although to be fair, I don’t think anyone’s ever lived on a laurel.
They are too small.

To be consistently at the top you need to be consistent on and off the field , Something Manly haven’t been for a few seasons since Des left , Toovs gave us a chance but then players were getting disgruntled, Then in comes Barrett and that turned sour . To many ups and downs to actually put a team in contention year in year out , Des back but still not smooth sailing , injuries , trying to get the squad he wants ,
The team will win games get our hopes up then implode . The club needs some run of good games form the squad then the results will come , Sounding a bit like 2008 building again , hopefully that will be the end result not yet but it’s coming

I believe we should always enter every season and every football ground with the high expectations
BOZO, what is your expectation for our final ladder position this year?

Personally, I don't have any expectations re ladder position, but if we have at least four wins after the first eight rounds and Turbo is back & in form, then I think we can have a very good season. If we are playing well and we regain Manase, then a premiership is not beyond the realms of possibility.

BOZO, what is your expectation for our final ladder position this year?

Personally, I don't have any expectations re ladder position, but if we have at least four wins after the first eight rounds and Turbo is back & in form, then I think we can have a very good season. If we are playing well and we regain Manase, then a premiership is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Sadly that’s two very big “ ifs”.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4