Costigan, Seymour sacked

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
BRISBANE has terminated the contracts of NRL squad members Brett Seymour and Neville Costigan over their involvement in off-field incidents.

Halfback Seymour had recently been accused of head-butting a woman in a Brisbane pub while Costigan was this week charged by police with drink driving.

Broncos managing director Bruno Cullen said both players had been warned previously about their conduct.

He said they were advised of their contract terminations following a Broncos management meeting this morning.

Neither Seymour nor Costigan will play for the Broncos again this season, or the Broncos feeder club, the Toowoomba Clydesdales.

Both players had a year to run on their contracts.

"This is a very sad day for this great club, and the decision we have made was not taken lightly," Cullen said.

"However, enough is enough.

"As both an organisation and a sporting team, the Broncos is an integral part of the fabric of the Queensland community, and we do all that we can to fulfil our role within the community.

"At the Broncos we set high standards, and we expect those standards to be met.

"For that, I do not apologise.

"However, we also work with our players in various ways to prepare them to meet the challenges that we realise they will face."

Cullen said that both the NRL and the Broncos operated under a strict code of conduct, and he reiterated that players had to realise the consequences if they stepped outside the boundaries that were stringently laid down.

"Today's decision should not be viewed as a knee-jerk reaction," he said.

"We have a duty to demonstrate to our players, our staff, our corporate partners and our fans that we will not stand for unacceptable behaviour.

"I think it also important to point out that both Brett and Neville have been warned previously about their conduct, and I believe they should have been well aware of the consequences if they transgressed again.

"As a club, we can only tolerate so much."

Cullen said Costigan was charged by police in Brisbane on Monday night at The Gap in Brisbane's west.

He'll face court later this month charged with driving with a blood alcohol level of .13 - almost three times the legal limit.

Police are yet to lay charges against Seymour over the alleged incident involving him at the Regatta Hotel at Toowong.

The Broncos had already relegated Seymour to their Toowoomba side.

Costigan had been in the Broncos team to face NRL leader Melbourne at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday.

I agree with what they did.. but if Hunt is drunk is involved in a similar incident.. will he be sacked too or will they make excuses?

Sign him up - giving him life coaching (give him Mata's number !!!), and set him on the right foot.

Manly seem to have a positive culture about them.

Costigan is a more than decent second rower and it's not as though we're blessed for depth in 2007.

I wonder if they would have sacked Lockyer or Webke if he was caught drink driving? I bet not.

They were obviously looking for an excuse to get rid of these two blokes.

yep sign them both, costigan adding back row depth, seymore adding hooker/halves depth. probably get two for the price of one!

Costigans better than glenn stewart, if he was at a weaker club he would play far more, and dare i say it Seymore would ad more thank Monaghs!

The King ducks for cover!

Seymour is pretty ordinary- I'd rather have monas.

Bennet had a big wrap on costigan and I doubt they were looking for an excuse to get rid of him. He had just used up all his chances.

[quote author=Matabele]
My only concern is that we've done well to pursue a no dick heads policy in the last 1-2 years.
When is this forum going to adopt the same policy??? :bdh: :bdh: :bdh: :blaugh: :blaugh: ;)

[/quote]

I'm the Andrew Johns of silvertails. A complete dick head but too important to the team.

From today's Herald:

Wests Tigers and Manly were among the clubs last night being linked with Costigan, while the Cowboys are reportedly interested in the backrower/hooker as well as halfback Seymour.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4