Coronavirus sucks.. but the NRL lives!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I can see a new comp starting next season. This is an easy way to cull the Sydney teams,I fear we will not survive in the "premier" competition that comes out of this.

Every club will struggle, the clubs who rely on poker machines aren't going to get the money from them now.
I wonder how much Rupert will tip in, if several cubs go broke it won't be worth anything to Foxtel with only a few games to televise, subscriber numbers will disappear and so will Foxtel.

The Penn's might have to sell or part sell their share, Can't see them being able to afford to keep the club afloat if the game is suspended.

ARL Commission Chairman Peter V’landys and NRL CEO Todd Greenberg will address the media at a live press conference at 6.10pm (AEDT).

I disagree with this statement. I believe RL is providing real entertainment and relief in a time of panic and boredom.
We are in full lockdown in the Philippines and I was told this morning to buy all food in my subdivision and if I left I would not be allowed back in.
RL is getting worldwide exposure it would not have had otherwise. My American friends here are streaming it and are impressed.
I guess everything depends on how you look at it.

I had the same view as you. But I just knew the rest of the country who are not NRL fans would bring down the NRL in the end.

Definitely 1,000% don't agree with that.

I own a small business and so far I'm not seeing anything that will help me through this. Nothing, I actually wish I could get the dole, $1,100 a fortnight and I'd be *en happy to wait in a queue for 8 hours to get that *, if that's what it took? FMD, I dream for that kind of money.

Small business owners like me will earn nothing, we will eat into every last bit of our cash reserves, all our personal savings and we'll try and survive by taking on more debt and even then without customers or sales many of us will probably still go broke.

As far as I can tell, the measures announced so far are designed in a way to enable employers like me keep my staff employed. What I will receive at the end of April might cover a months wages, but they are not paying it until end of April anyway. They do nothing to help cover my daily overheads,. ..... insurance, rent, electricity....... bla, bla, bla. You get it. So if I don't have sales then those things aren't covered and then my team don't have a place to work anyway.

Its probably not the best financial decision but I've too much personal energy and money invested in my business to walk away without trying everything but at the moment that $1,100 a fortnight looks pretty sweet and I really wouldn't complain about having to wait in a queue or that the My Gov website crashed.

Anyway, **** times for all.

Go Manly.
I may have misunderstood but I think if you earn less than $1100 clear in a fortnight, you are eligible for some even if you are a business owner. Fingers crossed.

I may have misunderstood but I think if you earn less than $1100 clear in a fortnight, you are eligible for some even if you are a business owner. Fingers crossed.
I think that's sole trader ..... mine is trading as a company? It's so confusing and changing everyday ..... thanks anyway!

Must cancel Foxtel ASAP - the one shining light.
It has to be so hard for the players - told not to turn up to training tomorrow, a bit like Olympians I guess. What a horror.
I still think if the NRL survives then so do the Mighty Sea Eagles.
Stay safe everybody. We'll get through this!

I think that's sole trader ..... mine is trading as a company? It's so confusing and changing everyday ..... thanks anyway!
It's completely confusing. I don't even have any idea if I should be working or not! Good luck with it all.

Last edited:

Ring your accountant tomorrow.
I rang mine today, and will sleep a lot better tonight for it.

I know that there are a stack of competing priorities at the moment, but it would be great to hear from Scott Penn as to what the suspension of the comp means for Manly's short and long term future. Not right away, but in the next week or so as the dust settles.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4