Contract Renewals

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If Idris is with Gold Coast, Hoppa may be off to the Dogs, and they will chuck him in firsts!! If he goes then I feel for Crusher!! Oldfield is hopefully staying, great lot of backs! and Riccardi who we can all check out on Sunday 1.15pm might go right over DCE, maybe??

Garts said:
I sure hope we don't lose Hoppa, that would be a tragedy.

I'm definitely worried we might. As much as I love the way he plays I still feel we should have let Matai go last year. Not only could we have used that money to retain Hoppa, it also opened up a spot for him in the side in what I reckon is his best position.

effnic & cambo....the thing is lads, do you guys want to live in the past, or do you want to look to the future?

Nik Kosef was a total legend, but his career was cut short.
Peter Mueller may be the same. Peter Forsberg the same.

It happens.

ryan if u think brett stewart is gone
you are a nuff nuff pure and simple look at minichello
it takes a bit of time when you come back from almost 2 seasons off.
its also not uncommon for a player to get hammy injuries after knee injuries. He will play more games than he will miss this season and we will win more of those than lose.

Then theres watmough people want to look at him and bag him on field because of the silly **** he does off it.

To those clowns who think we can do with out choc look at our total lack of go forward on saturday night. He is a vital member of the team and im sure hasler is working closely with chocs management in an attempt to sort out the off field extra baggage we get from choc.

Darren said:
anyone wanting watmough gone is nuts, he is the guy that will win it for us,

Yeah I have to agree, If we lost him he would be really hard to replace and i have no doubt there would be 15 other clubs that would jump at him.

dowdz said:
Choc on his day is great. If he can stop the off field crap and concentrate on footy then great.

Apparently his focus on footy without any interests outside of football is the problem

Bottom line is Brett has a hamstring strain, which anyone can get. The fact that he has a hamstring strain is actually good news. Wolfman is still a top level player and deserves time to come good.

Robbo has been a great servant and is a great finisher, but he is not getting any younger and his next contract will be in England. Oldfield will get his spot.

When Matai or Lyon head to England Whare is there to take a spot.

I imagine that in the next 2-3 years our backline will look something like this.

Hoppa
Oldfield
Lyon/Whare
Matai/Whare
D Williams
B Stewart
Cherry Evans

I have absolutely no doubt that B Stewart will end playing 5/8.

What a stupid thread.

Highlight has to be the comment stating “wait till the end of the year before we sign Jo”

Yep if he has a good year I am sure no one else will want to sign him

Contracts are a gamble for players and clubs. Clubs try and secure players for a set period of time that suits the clubs needs (be it long term for star players or shorter term for players they are taking a punt on) and players try to secure the best deal possible

Sometimes it works. You get a Glenn Hall who would have been on next to nothing and, when it came to renegotiation was not affordable.

And then you get a Brett Stewart. When he signed that contract he was at the peak of his powers…a point he might very well return too.

Lets say his contract is up this year. Does the club gamble on his ability to return (with far more information regarding his physical state than we are privy to) or do they offer him a long term contract comfortable with his injuries etc. Either way they do not have the luxury of time – he would be scooped up by other clubs be it here or overseas.

One last rant. People often complain about a perceived culture within the club – especially last year. There is an old cliché

Culture is taught not bought

How you treat players, especially those who have shown a commitment to the team, creates this culture. If it was as simple as gathering the best players in the same team then a team like Souths would be no 1.

Rant over….

clontaago said:
Bottom line is Brett has a hamstring strain, which anyone can get. The fact that he has a hamstring strain is actually good news. Wolfman is still a top level player and deserves time to come good.

Robbo has been a great servant and is a great finisher, but he is not getting any younger and his next contract will be in England. Oldfield will get his spot.

I imagine that in the next 2-3 years our backline will look something like this.

Hoppa
Oldfield
Lyon/Whare
Matai/Whare
D Williams
B Stewart
Cherry Evans

Ummm... Foran?

Firstly,for the people on this forum that want 2 get rid of Choc and Snake-IDIOTS!
Chocs our best forward by a mile, and Snake is an absolute legend still only halfway thru his career!
The 2 big money contracted players that have 2 go are Kite(On 400g a year and plays like he should be on 100g)and Wolfie whos on 250g and is an injury prone winger!

Also punt Cross(120g) Mauro(100g) and thats almost 900g we can spend on retaining Hoppa and buying a couple of props.

I love how everyone seems to be privvy to the details of the players contracts. Sure is great that they know exactly how much every bloke in the squad is on.

Also surprised that no player in our 25 has contract bonuses yet all seem to have get out clauses that allow the team to dump them at no cost & with no cap penalty.

Keep up the good work lads.

the mauler said:
Firstly,for the people on this forum that want 2 get rid of Choc and Snake-IDIOTS!
Chocs our best forward by a mile, and Snake is an absolute legend still only halfway thru his career!
The 2 big money contracted players that have 2 go are Kite(On 400g a year and plays like he should be on 100g)and Wolfie whos on 250g and is an injury prone winger!

Also punt Cross(120g) Mauro(100g) and thats almost 900g we can spend on retaining Hoppa and buying a couple of props.

Not sure where you got your figures from but anyway, it doesn't really work like that with Cross & Mauro. You still have to pay 2 people in your to 25 to take those spots so even if you pay those two the minimum which is about 60k or so isn't it????? that would only free up about 100k on the figures you've quoted for Cross & Mauro as opposed to 220k.

ballin needs to go if higgins matures this year.he gives us nothing.choc(if he behaves henceforth) and stewart are indispensable.simple as that.

agree with Effnic & garts
The Brett comments are not required,

we have some great talent coming thru & need to tie up these kids 1st before spending huge amounts on outside talent

codewana said:
clontaago said:

Hoppa
Oldfield
Lyon/Whare
Matai/Whare
D Williams
B Stewart
Cherry Evans

Ummm... Foran?

In the 9 Jersey.

Wolfpack said:
I love how everyone seems to be privvy to the details of the players contracts. Sure is great that they know exactly how much every bloke in the squad is on.

Also surprised that no player in our 25 has contract bonuses yet all seem to have get out clauses that allow the team to dump them at no cost & with no cap penalty.

Keep up the good work lads.

Look mate - your reality has no place in this discussion! ;)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8