Contract Opinions?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
In 2005, Nathan Hindmarsh was signed (or contract extended long term), to alleviate fans, clubs, players worries about future direction.

Look at the angst we all suffered during the Orford contract negotiation saga.
Look at the angst we all suffered during the Michael Monaghan saga.

Manly have done a REALLY good job in extending Brett Stewarts contract until the end of 2008. It's this kind of player management that brings stabilisation and consistency to the club.

Here's the thing. Anthony Watmough comes off contract at the end of 2007. You can just see a NUMBER of teams targetting him. The current Australian coach rates him. He in my opinion, is a future option for captain of Manly in a Andrew Ryan type of role. It would be fantastic for his contract to be extended for a number of years in good faith. Tie him up until 2009 or something. Look after our local juniors. He will be a rep player again VERY soon in my opinion.

What do you guys think?

(I really, REALLY hope contract issues don't affect the club this season). I'm thinking the following could be potential problems:-

1. Jamie Lyon contract negotiation.
2. If we are after Jamie Lyon, contract negotiation with Alberts who is off contract.
3. Steve Menzies ability to continue on (I seriously hope he does !!!)
4. Ben Kennedy's ability to continue on.

Does anyone know who else is off contract. Here's the closest thing (from memory, but mostly guessing) to people off contract is:-

01. Brett Stewart signed until end of 2008
02. Paul Stephenson signed until of 2007
03. Steven Bell signed until end of 2008
04. Ashley Alberts off contract at end of 2006
05. Chris Hicks off contract at end of 2006?
06. Michael Monaghan signed until end of 2008
07. Matt Orfoed signed until end of 2009
08. Brent Kite signed until end of 2008
09. Matt Ballin off contract at end of 2006
10. Jason King signed until end of 2007
11. Anthony Watmough signed until end of 2007
12. Steve Menzies off contract at end of 2006
13. Ben Kennedy off contract at end of 2006

14. Shayne Dunley signed until end of 2007
15. Kylie Leuleuai off contract at end of 2006?
16. Mark Bryant off contract at end of 2006?
17. Luke Williamson signed until end of 2007

Opinions?

i agree that watmough shoudl be signed up long term - with beaver and bk moving on soon we will need at least 1 player who has been here a while.

Bk and beaver have a 1 year option i believe, so ball is in their court.

we will not have alberts and lyon at the club together now that we have bell.

cuthbo is another contract i would try and secure now for 3 years

Dunley may have to go to superleague to get his superannuation after this contract - he will be close to 30 by then

There is heaps of time for Watmough. IMO the club will be looking to his performances in the first half of the season and if there is a reversal of his post Origin form and signs of growing maturity then I am sure they will step in.

Yep. There is plenty of time as MB said.

If we take Beaver & Kennedy out of the equation (its their choice really), the only up and coming issue I can see is Ballin.

The rest (06) can be looked at on a merits alone on an as & when necessary basis. And in any case i wouldnt be too concerned about any of the remainder anyway.

I was up very early this morning and then discovered that Fox had the Manly/Parra Final on and decided, despite the pain, to watch it. The single player that shone for Manly was Choc. So Ryan, I agree with your thoughts. If he has come back well this season they should look to sign him as quickly as possible. He was fantastic under Finals pressure and will be a big time player for many years to come.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4