Considering Tooves achievements 2012

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
Sure its unfortunate not going B2B in 2012 but do you consider Tooves introduction as coach a decent effort.
Interesting to see a rating out of 10 under the circumstances.
Many claim Hasler would have got us over the line but imo after all the turmoil & disruptions Tooves had to endure I'm not convinced of that. In fact after 2008 when we copped a traumatic off season I recall us finishing well below the top 4 & far from competitive.
Many media judges had Manly outside the 8 & when you consider key injuries, board room trivia, losing key personel, players under contract pressure & the fact it was Tooves 1st year as an NRL coach he gets an 8.5 out of 10 rating imo.
Interested to see the view of fellow Silvertail supporters on this topic.
Lets see the ratings gang - nothing lower than 0 or above 10.....

I reckon 2V earnt an 8 out of 10. If Hasler was kept for his final year, I don't think we would have gone B2B. There would have been too much crap going on. Who would have re-signed? Would the senior players have taken control or just let it all slip away.
I believe that we achieved a better result with 2V this year than we could have under Hasler.

7\10, 1 win off a GF appearance. Not sure we had the right game plan at times and we got away with wins due to the fact we have some brilliant players.

8.5 out of 10. Tooves took over during tumultuous times and was thrown in the deep end and did a great job under the circumstances. Now he gets to have a proper off season to sculpt the team into how he wants it to be.
It's going to be tough and I don't have high hopes for us next year, however we should make the top 8 at least. Anything less than that is a horrible failure.

I give him 17 out of 28. Which is pretty good.

This year will be a huge challenge and will determine whether Tooves wants the coaching gig long term or not. If he wants it he capable of being a top-line coach.

SeaEagleRock8 said:

This year will be a huge challenge and will determine whether Tooves wants the coaching gig long term or not. If he wants it he capable of being a top-line coach.

That's only 60.72%

Or approx 6 out of 10

I'd rate him a bit higher.

On 2 fronts.... 9/10 for stepping in and stepping up after Des was sacked.

Maybe 7/10 for the year. By his or choc's own admission he was a bit tentative at first.

Ave.... 8/10.

If Lyon did not have to leave the field in the first final. Then i think Manly would have had the week off. And i think we would have gotten further in the finals, maybe even won it. Facing Melbourne in Sydney for some reason is a lot easier then on their home turf. So for mine I would give Toovey an 8/10.

If it was a normal year with out the turmoil etc I would have to give him a 7 as we have a top squad that in some ways underdelivered. However, when taking into account injuries, suspensions, distractions re resigning etc i would give him a 9. Next year with a full offseason and less turmoil we should be able to judge him more effectively.

It will be interesting to see what Ryan and his sidekick Darren think!

7 out of 10. Still work to do but a decent first up effort considering all the off field stuff. And I agree with someone above. If Lyon was not injured in the Canterbury game we make the GF. Probably would have lost it though.

globaleagle said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

That's only 60.72%

Or approx 6 out of 10

Maybe 7/10 for the year. By his or choc's own admission he was a bit tentative at first.

Ave.... 8/10.
My score is just the number of games we won under Tooves, including the WCC match. I think he did tremendously well, but he had a highly motivated squad (though obviously many injuries etc etc). I really think his challenge next year will be in maintaining the mental edge of the team. It will be great to watch this unfold.

8 with a bullet.

Tooves was basically firefighting all off season. He had no staff and had no idea what Players would stay or even if he had the support of the general Player Group.

The article last year where Choc etc told him to assert himself as the Coach was telling. Tooves is now acting as the premier Coach and we will see the results on the field next season.

It is unfortunate that he has to be detracted from this to recruit an Assistant Coach. But, Parish will always have my gratitude for stepping in at a moments notice last season :angel:

All looking good for the Manly Club for generations to come :)

No way. Inherited an All Star team. Has been "in the system" with the top grade for ages. Retained "most" players from the Grand Final win the season before. Lost to bottom ranking, and performing teams. Lost the WCC. Lost two finals out of three. HUGE underwhelming performance in my opinion. I also don't like that the club used injury / suspension as an excuse (that's not us), and I'm not happy with our defense in certain stretches of the season.

4/10.

I reckon Technical Coach could have done a better job.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
globaleagle said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

That's only 60.72%

Or approx 6 out of 10

Ave.... 8/10.
My score is just the number of games we won under Tooves, including the WCC match. I think he did tremendously well, but he had a highly motivated squad (though obviously many injuries etc etc). I really think his challenge next year will be in maintaining the mental edge of the team. It will be great to watch this unfold.

Don't try and dazzle me with your maths and facts!

lol.

Agree that'll be great to watch it unfold.

Agree with you too HappilyManly

Agrees with everyone!!!! woooot!

Under regular circumstances i would say 7.

But there was all the drama so 8.

I would also highly rate management and support, those involved with retaining key players and staff. A 9 for them.

And for des trying to leave the place shattered, a 3, cause he's probably a decent guy underneath the self obsessed vindictiveness.

The board? Mmmmm.....

I give him a 9 for taking over the shambles Dessie left and getting us to 1 game away from the GF. We need to remember that this guy was running water bottles last year.
Ryan 4/10, seriously? Following that trend if we'd have got to the GF and lost you might give him a 5 and maybe a 6/7 for a win.
Hasler as coach, with a star studded line up in 2009 got us to 5th and eliminated first round. What is the media's latest Super Coach's score for '09. Do you remember anything about 2010 as well?
Toovey is a true champion for being Manly not a dog, when needed.

Ryan said:
No way. Inherited an All Star team. Has been "in the system" with the top grade for ages. Retained "most" players from the Grand Final win the season before. Lost to bottom ranking, and performing teams. Lost the WCC. Lost two finals out of three. HUGE underwhelming performance in my opinion. I also don't like that the club used injury / suspension as an excuse (that's not us), and I'm not happy with our defense in certain stretches of the season.

4/10.

4/10 for making top 4... What rating would u give Tooves if we'd won the comp??? 5/10???? Lol

Hey guys, don't under estimate the quality and strength of our roster. On paper, best in League in my opinion, by some.

My rating is almost out of respect for them if anything.

Given better defensive structures. Given some "new and innovate" plays. Even WITH the injuries etc, I say we should have won it all this year.

I think we grossly under achieved.

Our players were fantastic - one through twenty five. I couldn't find fault in any of them.

I personally believe it was the "system" on and off the field that let them down.

Therefore, given our quality on the park, I think 4th, and losing most of our crucial games means Toovey deserves a 4.

Ryan said:

4/10.

When a business losses it most hands-on manager suddenly and takes a handful of his immediate subordinates, and a replacement is expected to take on that role with effect immediately, do you still look at any dip to be unacceptable?

Toovey didn't inherit the same side. He lost some very good wingers in Robbo and Hoppa Jnr, and did well to persist with Taufua and give him a good grounding for next year.

He lost the very underrated Rodney and then suffered a large stretch of the first couple of months without his star 2nd-rower in Gift.

Tooves had staff leave and needed to not only work to gel new guys into the squad, but try and get the off-field support right.

Combine the expectation on the club by many (although a look through pre-season tips by the 'experts' had few see us in the top 4) and work through a gruelling off-season for some of his players with 4Ns and the WCC, then cop that terrible schedule for the first month, and you've got the potential for a club to start poorly and not recover.

Everybody could see that there was some errors made and some players probably dropped in intensity at times, but all in all to finish a strong 4th despite ALL the setbacks on and off the field, was a BRILLIANT effort by Toovey and his support staff.

I think I'd prefer to rate the efforts of the whole coaching/support crew and give them a solid 8 out of 10.

Mr InviswannahangoutnobigDEAL! said:
How would you rate the greatest coach of all Wayne Bennett this season Ryan.

Mate, horrible. Terrible. BUT, he didn't exactly inherit the best team on paper in the game. Plus, at present, I'd rate Bennett 3rd best.

I think he was forced out of The Bronco's because there were things going on behind the scenes monetarily with his son etc that may have been catching up on him.

Opinion of coarse, and no knowledge as to my reasons.

We have the best team on paper, even TAKING the injuries and suspension into consideration. I believe we have some players who are currently the best in the game (world) in their respective position.

We should have done better guys.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7