Congratulations Tony Williams on a good season.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I fear for the future of the team if the quality of Trex is seen as good and what we should have our team aspire too.

sad Rex very very sad.

As is your inability to actually prove a point

Dan link said:
Perhaps you need a history lesson of Silvertails. We were born back in the Jye Mullane days and let me tell you, he polarized many many many people.
I recall once at the zoo I saw a bear that had been polarized. Quite spectacular, came out white as snow.

Barry Hyland link said:
Forget all this nonsense about stats. They lie (including the one that said our only 'line break' yesterday was by George Rose). Do they list how many tries he let in by being too slow, out of position or disinterested?
Hoppa Snr didn't score that many tries, but he was invaluable as another forward and inspiring fellow players. T-Rex should be doing that.
If he had a crack then he'd become a cult hero among we fans. But he's too lazy to gain the admiration and respect he is capable of receiving.

What he said.

Rex link said:
[quote author=codewana link=topic=185289.msg294221#msg294221 date=1284349652]
[quote author=Shane link=topic=185289.msg294208#msg294208 date=1284347324]
If he continues his improvement at current rate

He will be the best player in the NRL by 24 years of age

He'd also be scoring fewer tries (0.75 per game in '09 and 0.64 this year).

PUT HIM IN THE FORWARDS!
[/quote]

Apply that identical progression to Wolfman and he's far more value to us next year on the injury bench. :)
[/quote]

:).

Or Brett Stewart for that matter.

Forget the stats for a moment Rex... do you think Tony Williams plays with as much enthusiasm as you'd like him to? Are you convinced that everytime he receives the ball that he will do something brilliant (or attempt to do some great)?

My issue with the guy isn't that he doesn't score enough tries or that he scores more or less than another player. My issue with him is his apparent apathy to the game, let alone his lack of footballer brains. I understand he is playing out of position, and hopefully next season he can show us why we signed him when he plays in the pack. Until then, I just cannot understand how people think he is doing a good job for our team.

I am a bit up in the air about this guy still, shows unbelievable potential on occasions and then makes you shake your head when he just doesn't seem to care, frequently within 5 minutes of the other.

Maybe its a confidence thing, or he is a big gentle giant but would love to see him try play a little more like big Dell, I know not many like him but he knew when to come in looking for a play or even work to help out the forwards. Dell did seem to run straight and hard much more often and  if T Rex did the same he would rarely be dominated in a tackle and provide a roll on.

As for all the numbers being floated around, its a bit hard to compare players from season to season. For example this year our forwards spent the second half of every match being belted around the park and really struggled to dominate for long periods of time, which has been where we have succeeded the couple of seasons previous. That is where I think our season has gone wrong not on the wing.

I saw vatuvai get shown up 3 times in the first 25 minutes on the weekend.

Came back and had a good game but isnt as perfect as some make out.

Dan link said:
Players like Glenn Stewart, Choc and even greater Beaver know which angle to run and how to find and his a hole.

Nice analysis Dan. You are completely on the money regarding T-Rex.

One thing though, sadly I can't recall Choc making a linebreak this year. I'm wondering if this says more about our halves than Choc's line running (or the fact he looked injured for about 80% of the year).

Choc did make a few line breaks, the most remembered was his one against Canberra where he passed it to them.

But he did make a few. I am willing to forgive Choc he has clearly been playing injured for several weeks now.

Look if T-Rex get's put in the back row and lifts his work rate and learns how to run at a gap and the right angle then I am happy to be wrong. I just can't see those things changing, you either have them or you don't.

T-Rex will be lucky to hold down a spot in the 17 next year with our full compliment of players available.
Unless, like Dan just mentioned, he all of a sudden works out how to run into a gap and not just the players in front of him.

I see the Vatuvei comments, and think back to 2007 when Manu was the laughing stock of the comp with some of his efforts. The coach showed a bit of confidence in him, and look where he is now. Isn't a lot of reason's Williams can't be the same

This whole debate on here really takes me back 5 years. It is pretty much the same sort of stuff that was written about Matai for 2 seasons.

Will Tony come good like those 2 ? Who knows. But personally, I just can't write off a kid at 21 years of age

Kiwi Eagle link said:
I see the Vatuvei comments, and think back to 2007 when Manu was the laughing stock of the comp with some of his efforts. The coach showed a bit of confidence in him, and look where he is now. Isn't a lot of reason's Williams can't be the same

This whole debate on here really takes me back 5 years. It is pretty much the same sort of stuff that was written about Matai for 2 seasons.

Will Tony come good like those 2 ? Who knows. But personally, I just can't write off a kid at 21 years of age

Hope you're right.. I think he will probably improve next year, ONLY because he'll be playing for a new contract, be it with Manly or another club.

Kiwi Eagle link said:

We are going round in circles here, but the crux of the matter is that if T-Rex did become more involved, like 'The Beast' and Lotte, then we'd all forgive his mistakes and get behind him. Those, like me, that have written him off have based this on two full years of that Dusty Springfield song: Wishing and hoping

jjai link said:
LAY THE f**k OFF HIM YOU MORONS,, I`D RATHER HAVE TREX 2010 FORM THEN THE FORM HE DISPLAYED IN 09, IF HE IMPROVES EVERY YEAR ITS WORKING,  & I DONT KNW WHY ROBBO WASNT  ON HIS WING  WHEN HE GAVE THAT PASS, THAT WAS A DEADSET  TRY  BLOWN BY ROBBO,  TREX HAD ATTRACTED 4 DEFENDERS GOT A BALL AWAY  TO AN UNMARKED CORRIDOR , ONLY TO FUKN FIND ROBBO  DOWN THE BACK WITH FARRAR  FOR SOME DUMB REASON INSTEAD OF BEING ON HIS WING..

"You may say that I'm a dreamer
  But I'm not the only one
  I hope someday you'll join us
  And the world will be as one"

codewana link said:
My (accidental) misquote of the number of tries scored still didn't change the results all that much. Sure, his strike rate improved (to 0.03 tries per game more), but unfortunately I can't find any stats showing how many tries he let in. I've rarely seen him make a trysaving tackle too. I do remember David Williams running almost the entire length of the field (an across it too) to successfully stop a try last year or the year before. Remember that? I understand Tony wouldn't have had the pace for a feat like that, but even if he did, does the enthusiasm he displayed this and last season suggest he'd even bother?

I'll say my view again. He is a s**t winger. He is young so I'd like to see him playing in the correct position. Until he is in the pack Oldfield deserves his number 5 jersey (whenever wolfman or robbo are out).
sure do mate that was on lachlan coote  two attempts nailed him on the last 1 inches away from try line, but the wolfman played SOO not long after that & was creamed twice by willie tonga on the same patch of turf for 2 knock ons.. like to see willie tonga try to cream trex like that..

Mackayeagle link said:
I am a bit up in the air about this guy still

So many of T-Rex's would-be tacklers could say exactly the same thing.

Watching them fly through the air is on my highlights reel for this year.

codewana link said:
Forget the stats for a moment Rex... do you think Tony Williams plays with as much enthusiasm as you'd like him to? Are you convinced that everytime he receives the ball that he will do something brilliant (or attempt to do some great)?

My issue with the guy isn't that he doesn't score enough tries or that he scores more or less than another player. My issue with him is his apparent apathy to the game, let alone his lack of footballer brains. I understand he is playing out of position, and hopefully next season he can show us why we signed him when he plays in the pack. Until then, I just cannot understand how people think he is doing a good job for our team.

Your questions are essentially about superficial appearances.

If you value superficial appearances like that, you really want a politician - a showman - not a footballer.  

Rex link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=185289.msg294070#msg294070 date=1284330245]

TREX in actuality completed 26 - 27 games, which means his stats are far worse than Wolfmans

OK Dan, let's play your scenario out.  Taking your outer figure of 27 games, the difference would be less than .02 in a season where our attack deteriorated once again.

So comparing apples with apples.  Last season:

Wolfman 11/18 = .61
T-Rex      9/12 = .75

So if a .02 difference in your words equates to "far worse", then what does .14 equate to Dan?
Wolfman is far, far, far, far, far, far, far worse? (7 fars)?

I know you must think last year's figure for T-Rex are unfair to him because you say playing outside Lyon on the right wing is this huge advantage to Wolfman whereas T-Rex played on the left outside Matai, replacing Robbo who moved to fullback.  For comparison, outside Matai, this year Robbo scored 11 from 27 = .41, or far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, worse than T-Rex? (12 fars)?

And in terms of value for money, should Wolfman's paycheck be halved given his fragility means he is only available to play half the games of hardier men like Robbo and T-Rex? :)

Playing with you is entertaining Dan.
[/quote]

Have a cup of T, Rex

I think the country is in trouble - T-rex named in the PMs 13 to play PNG. I wonder who was advising the PM and if it was a dirty trick to make her look bad (worse)?

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8