Congratulations to Technical Coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Chip and Chase said:
Who else is on your overated / overhyped list TC ? Just so we can be crystal clear for future beating of one's own drum.

Given the quality of Queensland halfbacks of late, some very good judges might argue otherwise regarding Thurston, seeing as they have had him regularly ahead of players like Cronk and Prince. Unless of course those two are equally as over hyped.

I can't agree that he doesn't have a reasonable skill set. His problem is that he might have a will to win but he deosn't have the mental strength to make it happen. He's a choker.

This has zero to do with beating my own drum as it may appear with my replies.

I thought about not even replying to the thread for that very reason(coming across as beating my own drum) but decided to have a little fun with the reply considering some of the past long history in relation to this.

Cronk has a package you can build a premiership winning team around, i rate Cronk higher in many skill sets compared to Thurston.

Certain players offer a more rounded package that can play at a more consistent high level---they may come across as less talented to the average observer but offer what is needed at NRL level.

I prefer intelligent players with composure in the halves compared to dynamic and freakish with little thought into improving their games for long term benefit.

Foran and DCE are thinkers and already streets ahead of Thurston in relation to having the style of play that makes a difference at "NRL Level".

Technical Coach said:
Rex said:
Nice theory. And name a single coach in the NRL who wouldn't love to have Thurston in their side, excluding the price tag.

What you should be asking is "if you had the choice of any half or 5/8 would most coaches pick Thurston"----the smart ones would seek other alternatives that offer more at a lower price point----he would not even register in the top 10 with the top 3-4 coaches.

So what you are saying is that Thurston is overpriced, despite not knowing what his price tag is.

The price he's paid is not his fault, and doesn't really have anything - at all - to do with his qualities as a player. The price reflects (good or bad) only on those who offer the money.

Take out the salary issue - like in SOO - and he's unambiguously a winner, big time.

Rex said:
Technical Coach said:
Rex said:
Nice theory. And name a single coach in the NRL who wouldn't love to have Thurston in their side, excluding the price tag.

What you should be asking is "if you had the choice of any half or 5/8 would most coaches pick Thurston"----the smart ones would seek other alternatives that offer more at a lower price point----he would not even register in the top 10 with the top 3-4 coaches.

So what you are saying is that Thurston is overpriced, despite not knowing what his price tag is.

The price he's paid is not his fault, and doesn't really have anything - at all - to do with his qualities as a player. The price reflects (good or bad) only on those who offer the money.

Take out the salary issue - like in SOO - and he's unambiguously a winner, big time.

It's pretty easy to work out that the best player in each club would be on at the very minimum $270,000-$300,000 range and without even knowing Thurstons contract i'm sure he is on well above these figures.

What i'm saying is i would not pay him more than $300,000 he is not worth a cent more in my opinion which will go against the other 95% who do think he is worth all that and a bag of chips.

Where did i state i have a problem with Thurston getting what he can out of the game, obviously his price point is determined by the demand for his services and coaches/clubs getting caught in the typical (supply and demand) mentality of setting a price point.

TC I enjoy reading your posts and thoughts but the best player in each club would be on at the very minimum $270,000-$300,000 range is certainly a minimum and maybe for Qld Cup but Not NRL.

If you can suggest one 'best' player you think is one that minimum range, i'd be amazed, well, maybe the Raiders.

I too think Thurston is overrated but he can do some amazing things on the back of a pack of forwards going forward but, he panicks in difficult situations and takes the wrong options too many times.

If Thurston goes to the Broncos, guess who might go back to North Queensland and it's not DCE?

rmd said:
TC I enjoy reading your posts and thoughts but the best player in each club would be on at the very minimum $270,000-$300,000 range is certainly a minimum and maybe for Qld Cup but Not NRL.

If you can suggest one 'best' player you think is one that minimum range, i'd be amazed, well, maybe the Raiders.

I too think Thurston is overrated but he can do some amazing things on the back of a pack of forwards going forward but, he panicks in difficult situations and takes the wrong options too many times.

If Thurston goes to the Broncos, guess who might go back to North Queensland and it's not DCE?

I was using the lowest figure possible to emphasis my point on not requiring any knowledge of how much he earns to justify in my own mind that he is not worth what he is currently on from my standpoint alone.

Obviously "most" top shelf players would be on around 400,000 onwards to 600,000 depending on when they signed their last contract.

Hindmarsh states in his Oldschool book that he was on around 350,000 a season(2006-2009) and also stated he had to accept less per year for his final stint.(from what i recall reading)

I'm in no way comparing Hindmarsh to Thurston in terms of value(forwards earn less in general) but Hindmarsh is high profile, probably considered one of the best at Parra and was not earning huge figures so what is published in the papers is sometimes way off the mark.

TC it is very disappointing watching you babbling about your ratings of Thurston and how much so-and-so is worth, etc etc. This is the time, this is the week, the hour has come, you are supposed to be providing Toovey with rare insights for one match-winning play or tactic, don't you get it? The winner is in the Grand Final, the loser is finished. Concentrate, man, for god's sake.

TC is an enigma wrapped in a riddle, shrouded in a mystery. Meeting him woud be like meeting a secret assassin; we would cease to exist after that. He should never be known as anything but Technical Coach. For to know his name, to know his face... again this would bring repercussions upon ourselves and our families that would make nightmares seem like playing with a puppy. TC will only deliver his covert messages on this forum or in cut-out letters stuck to a white piece of paper, and delivered under a hotel door in a brown envelope. ;^)

SeaEagleRock8 said:
TC it is very disappointing watching you babbling about your ratings of Thurston and how much so-and-so is worth, etc etc. This is the time, this is the week, the hour has come, you are supposed to be providing Toovey with rare insights for one match-winning play or tactic, don't you get it? The winner is in the Grand Final, the loser is finished. Concentrate, man, for god's sake.

Blame Dessie for giving his staff the week off and not having anything productive to do with my spare time.

Looking into starting a TAFE course next year to keep my mind more occupied in my down time and to start thinking about--- "life after video analysis days"

JT knows who to call if he decides that a premiership and an all round game is more important than living off the opinions and ratings of over-rated coaches and journos.

SeaEagleRock8 said:

I'm bored of Grand Finals just means an extra weeks work for no extra pay, i want to sit down for once and just be a fan lol....

I will say this Manly need to be able to score points especially from the 20min to the 55min mark and my player rotations would be targeting this period big time.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4