Confusion reigns over Manly Sea Eagles try record

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
MANLY has written to the NRL demanding immediate intervention over an anomaly which will threaten Brett Stewart's looming attempt to become the Sea Eagles greatest-ever tryscorer.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/other-sports/confusion-reigns-over-manly-sea-eagles-try-record/story-e6frf56c-1226684538734#ixzz2ZwzP668r

This has been going on for years. I think they have got buckleys chance of getting the records amended to reflect one club. As disappointing as it is for Beaver, Northern Eagles weren't Manly. They don't do it for any other merged club, so why should we be special ??

Chip and Chase said:
This has been going on for years. I think they have got buckleys chance of getting the records amended to reflect one club. As disappointing as it is for Beaver, Northern Eagles weren't Manly. They don't do it for any other merged club, so why should we be special ??

Because we are? :)

Rambo1987 said:
Yet all the Balmain supporters carry on like the West Tigers are Balmain.

and the papers say marshall will have played 201 games for the tigers by round 26 if he plays all games.

Chip and Chase said:

Saint Merge won the grand final in 2010 and the media said that was the first time since 1979. So why do the get counted as one club when it suits

"Throughout the Northern Eagles debacle, Menzies always held a Manly-based contract." Well then technically he was playing for Manly.

The statisticians have their own rules, but not many people really care about what they say. Every Manly fan knows Beaver is a one-club hero, so who cares what Middleton & co think? Menzies is a legend, they are not.

This is just ****ed and so disrespectful to a man who should be paraded as an ambassador for the game. Ask him who he played for and let him decide

castle eagle said:
Rambo1987 said:
Yet all the Balmain supporters carry on like the West Tigers are Balmain.

and the papers say marshall will have played 201 games for the tigers by round 26 if he plays all games.

Benji Marshall has only played for the Wests Tigers

:S

Menzies never left to join another club and never played against Manly. That could be enough for them to change the records. I can't complain if they don't though, as I never followed the NE because I didn't consider them to be Manly.
It's different to counting St George Illawarras premiership as St George's because for almost 20 years both St George and Illawarra were competing as separate clubs, effectively giving the merged club two shots at adding to their tally had either of those clubs won the title. Menzies was not doubling his chances of scoring tries.

Yeah I missed the bit about the nrl wanting to make changes and exemptions to keep Beaver in the nrl or was I just imaging that. I guess he never achieved as much as folau, sbw and bungi ever have, so not deemed worthy as well as being such a bad role model

They have all treated St George & StG-Ill as the one club.

Good to see the media trawling this site for stories too. We were talking about this issue on Sunday night. http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Snake-now-2nd-to-Beaver-for-tries and earlier this year http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Snake-s-record-attempt

The simple and doable solution for Snake is to hurry up and score the 182 try :idea: :)

I don't believe that Beaver cares for statistics.
He knows that he has always been a Manly Warringah contracted Player who had represented Sydney City, NSW, Australia and the Northern Eagles.

I understand both sides of it really

Technically Northern Eagles was a new club, Beaver never changed clubs to play for them so I consider him a 1 club man, same as I regard Rod Wishart as a 1 club man as Illawarra moved into their merge

A lot of people here say they never watched the Northen Eagles because they weren't Manly, so it's a bit of 6 of one and half a dozen of the other

but if you jumped ship to Aus superleague you can keep all your records............. hmm wonder who made up those rules

Not sure if this is exactly the same story as the link above. Apologies if it is.
But good onya Brett. What a true gentleman and champion!! (but we already knew that)

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8695403

Stewart backs Menzies on Manly try record

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8695403

Brett Stewart has hit out at the NRL's statisticians and says he won't consider himself Manly's record try-scorer if he surpasses Steve Menzies' milestone of 151 four-pointers for the Sea Eagles.

Stewart crossed for the 130th time in Manly colours against the Gold Coast last week and is on course to break the official record held by club legend Menzies.

But the Sea Eagles claim Menzies' true record is 180 and the 29 tries he scored for now defunct Northern Eagles - when Manly were merged with North Sydney from 2000 to 2002 - should be included as Manly's.

Although he would cherish a place in the club's record books, Stewart believes the current calculations are unfair and disrespectful to the 40-year-old who also shares Terry Lamb's competition record of 349 first grade games,

Menzies is returning to Manly as a coach next season when he finally hangs up his boots after the Super League season with France-based Les Catalans, capping off a glittering career that began in 1993.

"If I was Beaver I would find it a little bit disrespectful and disappointing (not to credit him with 180 tries)," Stewart said.

"In the eyes of everyone here and I think most rugby league fans in general, Beaver is a one-club player for Manly.

"I see the record as being 180 tries and not 151 so I will probably have to be like him and play until I am 50 to beat it!

"I wouldn't be considering myself the top scorer if I didn't score more than 180."

Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey, who also played for the Northern Eagles, shares Stewart's frustrations and called for the record to be changed.

"I don't believe Beaver played for any other club and I think it's a silly thing to do," Toovey said.

"The Manly club have always been in existence - even when the Northern Eagles were around - it is crazy to think he played for anyone else.

"Everyone knows the facts ... I don't remember me playing for anyone else - the club changed it's name for a while because of certain circumstances.

"But we still played at Brookvale Oval."

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Snake-s-record-attempt?pid=495604#pid495604

quoted league historian Sean Fagan who wrote the club's history on the Manly website. He said the club could do as it liked with its own records & it wasn't for the NRL or any statistician to decide.

He pointed out unlike the other JVs the Manly club existed before, as part of & after the JV. So Manly has always said Beaver scored 180 tries for Manly, including 29 when Manly was part of the Northern Eagles. Nothing wrong with that & the NRL & its experts can leave Manly's own records alone.

Let's compare the same source denying Beaver's Manly record when it comes to the records of the Joint Venture Dragoons.

7:21 PM - 25 May 13
David Middleton
‏@Middleton_David
Dragons (St George and St George Illawarra) held scoreless for the first time in 427 games at Kogarah since 1950 #NRLsgipen
https://twitter.com/Middleton_David/status/338223190948077568

Lets see the media who trawl this forum for news take up that.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4