Computer people

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Nutzcraw

Bencher
I need a bit of help

I am in Add/Remove programs and i want to get rid of some stuff on my laptop as it is running a bit ****ty at the moment.

What is J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0?? I have update 2, 4 and 6 and they take up alot of MB (143MB, 144MB and 145MB)

Can i get rid of these or what??

P.S - I might have more questions as i go :)

yeah keep it. It would have been installed with another application. Removing programs wont really make the computer run any better. Defragmetn your drive

Or update your laptop!!

I just got a new one (through work of course). Its not too bad.

T60
Intel CoreDuo T2400 1.83GHz
1Gb Mem
60 Gig HD
Fingerprint Scanner
Bluetooth

Uninstalling won't speed up your computer much..., defragging helps but if you really want to see any difference, best just to reformat and start again.

I'm not going to get into any OS wars here but let's face it: Windows needs a wipe every now and again. It's not fantastic at getting rid of its own crap.

Of course, Clon's right, too :)

OK
Lets say i wanted to defrag and re-format. Is this difficult
Whats involved , if its not a lengthy process, it would be great if you could provide the steps. :D

re-format will delete everything. just search web for easy instructions as typing them out is a waste of time.

for defrag usually
Start >> Accessories >> Sytem Tools >> Defrag

Yeah unfortunately work wont allow HD upgrades. My old laptop has an 80 gb but that was an order that shouldnt have been placed and I scored the drive. The trade off for more speed was what made me go for the new one.

Oh a work one.

You can get small 2.5" 120 gb usb HDD for around the $200- mark Or better still 3.5" 320 g.b. for the same price.

Good for saving your music, photos and DVD`s on

No point, really, though... Unless you're within a bee's dick of filling your HD right now, that's not the problem.

If you have an IT guy at work, they should be able to reimage it. Just make sure you have what you need backed up...

Defrag 'realigns' the files on your hard drive so that they are contiguous. That is to say, when Windows writes a file to disk, depending on the layout at the time, that file may actually be broken up and spread across the disk. The result is that when you want to read that file back, it jumps around the disk reading different sections until it has the entire file. Defragging essentially 'reorganises' as many files as it can so that each file has all of it's 'parts' together. The files are contiguous (all together). The effect over 1000s of files can definitely show an increase in speed. Sometimes.

Reformatting obviously starts things off with a clean plate. Like I mentioned earlier, Windows is untidy and just needs to be wiped every now and again.

If you don't want to go that drastic, I would try a registry cleaner. Surprisingly enough, there is one called 'RegClean' that MS produced but no longer support. It could help. Get it from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download458.html after reading everything on that page.

Ok, houston i have a problem!!

I think there may be something seriously wrong with my laptop.... every now and then i'll be doing something then the laptop will sort of freeze then a blue screen will pop up saying "windows needs to shut down.... some hardware or programs have not been installed properly (i have no idea what it could be)"

Then it says something like "Contact hardware or software manufacturers to see if i need an update"

Then a whole heaps of numbers and crap then at the bottom it says "Begin dumping of physical memory"

I can't do anything except turn the laptop off and start it again cuz none of the keys work.

I realise this probably isn't the place to ask but i just thought i'd see if you guys had any idea... i think it might be time to take it to the laptop doctors or get a new one (although it's only about 1 year old)

Defragging shouldn't lose anything. I guess, technically, it could in some instances, but in 99.999% of those you shouldn't have a problem :)

Could be a failing disk or maybe dodgy hardware drivers (Windows starts to move the file and the driver craps itself... it could happen).

Either way, I'd suggest backing up your data and reinstalling Windows...

Ok i found the problem.. it was norton

So i have completely uninstalled it and i now need a new virus protection any one know of a good one... preferably free hahaha

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4