Comparable Side to 1996.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
I was thinking how dominant our 1996 team were in that Grand Final win over St George. I thought in today's players, who would be comparable to that team at the time. This is what I came up with:-

01. Matt Ridge.................Brett Hodgson
02. Danny Moore.............Pat Richards
03. Terry Hill...................Jamaal Lolesi
04. Craig Innes...............Paul Whatuera
05. John Hopoate............Matt Utai
06. Nick Kosef.................Braith Anasta
07. Geoff Toovey.............Matt Orford
08. David Gillespie..........Danny Nutley
09. Jim Serdaris...............Robbie Farrah
10. Tony Carroll...............Willie Mason
11. Daniel Gartner...........Craig Fitzgibbon
12. Owen Cunnigham......Andrew Ryan
13. Steve Menzies...........Steve Menzies

14. Cliff Lyons..................Craig Gower
15. Neil Tierney...............John Skandalis
16. Craig Hancock...........Steven Bell
17. Des Hasler.................Craig Wing

I tried to pick on size, style, impact & positional play.

Sorry I got the names wrong. What would you guys change?

I think the dead ringers are:-

Richards / Moore
Beaver / Beaver (of coarse - derrr)
Kosef / Anasta
Farrah / Serdaris
Hoppa / Utai

Nice exercise there Ryan. A couple of things if I may:
1. Sorry, you can't compare Lolesi to Hill. Hill in '96 was the most dominant centre in the game. Lolesi is a nobody who has done nothing. Hill would be close to Gasnier.
2. I know you meant Mark Carroll. I'd say he's more like Riles or Bailey, rather than Nutley. Carroll was also the best prop in the game back then.

Hmmm. I don't think Hill's style was like Gasnier. I thought of putting Gasnier in, but Gasnier is a finesse centre, built on speed. I've always thought of Hill as a power centre, with leadership skills.

LoL about Carrolls name. Remember - I was a Bears fan, so I was really straining my memory on the names...Sorry fellas. I agree with you on this one though. Carroll was just ruthless and damaging - more like Bailey I think.

OK, with comparing Hill to Gasnier, I was meaning more status-wise than playing method (ie they were/are both great). On your basis, I'd compare him more to Ben Smith or something - I just can't compare him to Lolesi.

I used to hate Terry Hill (as a player) with a passion as a Bears supporter. He was just sooo good. Much like in my opinion Tahu is today.

I dont reckon Gower and Lyons are compatable either

i'd say more.........sh*t nobody really compares to cliffy, maybe Campbell

I'd say Ridge and Hodgson ARE comparable. Both excellent goal kickers, both small but played smart, both good backing up when a break has been made by a teamate (Hodgson better at this), both sound defensively (but Ridge better). HOW GOOD WAS RIDGE !!!!!!!!!!!!

This is tough but i'd go (the brackets explain the kind of player needed to compare to the manly great)

01. Matt Ridge.................Ben Hornby (tough one, safe, marshells the troops and can be a playmaker if needed)
02. Danny Moore.............Pat Richards (big and safe)
03. Terry Hill...................Shaun Berrigan (tough, whole runner, great defender)
04. Craig Innes...............Jamie Lyon (great centre)
05. John Hopoate............Matt Utai (bulldozing winger)
06. Nick Kosef.................Jason Smith (maybe a younger smith, but all class, seemingly endless time with the ball)
07. Geoff Toovey.............Graig Gower (tough leader)
08. David Gillespie..........Danny Nutley (reliable and hardworking)
09. Jim Serdaris...............Robbie Farrah (creative and tough)
10. Mark Carroll...............Ryles (but only on ryles best day, Carroll did Ryles best day everyday)
11. Daniel Gartner...........Craig Fitzgibbon (workhorse with that touch of class)
12. Owen Cunnigham......hmmm let me think
13. Steve Menzies...........Steve Menzies (god himself could not compare)

14. Cliff Lyons..................Preston Campbell (but only because there is nobody good enough to really compare)
15. Neil Tierney...............John Skandalis (consistant, good value)
16. Craig Hancock...........Paul Bowman (reliable)
17. Des Hasler.................Hmmm let me think on that one

It's like Disco said though, imagine this side today:-

01. Ben Hornby
02. Pat Richards
03. Shaun Berrigan
04. Jamie Lyon
05. Matt Utai
06. Jason Smith
07. Graig Gower
08. Danny Nutley
09. Robbie Farrah
10. Jason Ryles
11. Craig Fitzgibbon
13. Steve Menzies

14. Preston Campbell
15. John Skandalis
16. Paul Bowman

Great post Ryan and some good discussion.

One thing you can't get on paper though is chemistry and the 96 side certaiinly had it via a couple of years together with not too many injuries and a great coach in Bozo. The leadership of Ridge and Toovey was very important to that Manly side.

It is a real shame that we only got one permiership out of this side when it deserved to be three!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4