Commentators

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It's what you get when you hire personalities, and also when you hire ex players as promised so they can get money post career (which totally isn't a way to rort the cap.)

"Hi," ... (lets say) "Snooper Plonk, if you play for our team... the 'sturm' for less money than your market worth - even if you move to a different city - well there's lots of footy shows post career to beef up the ole bank balance."

Snooper: "But me mumble no speak words sentence."

9/fox: "No probs"

The nrl market isn't big enough but I do enjoy the nhl where you get your own commentators at your home games. Good to hear some slight bias towards your own team.

I can see both sides of the coin there.

I like a few of the guys on the mike because they give insight and have knowledge beyond my rudimentary understanding of the sport. When I, as a numptie, start to question whether I have more knowledge and understanding than those on the broadcast, things start to break down.

Why do commentators these days make so many mistakes? Watching a replay of the game they are constantly talking about the wrong team and making errors with things that have previously played out in the game. Is the game just too fast for them ;), or are they just incompetent?
Because most are ex players.

I've been surprised by how incompetent and incoherent Cronk has turned out to be. He seemed to be in training for a spot in the Fox team for, at least, his last 2 years in the game and yet he's hit the ground face first. I can even put up with Thurston but I have to mute Cooper's lame and confusing attempts at communication.

Why do commentators these days make so many mistakes? Watching a replay of the game they are constantly talking about the wrong team and making errors with things that have previously played out in the game. Is the game just too fast for them ;), or are they just incompetent?
Incompetent is not enough to describe most commentators mate....I’d embellish it with biased, illiterate, dribbling, annoying!!! Perfect examples of commentators with these traits are Fittler, Lockyer, A Johns, Gronk, Parker, Anasta, Ginane lolololol.

Billy isn’t too bad. I like this breakdown and analysis. A bit raw still but expected due to only recently starting.

I have enjoyed Flanagan as well.

i was a big fan of Ginanne when he was on MMM, but his skills haven’t transferred well for TV.

I know some here won't agree, but I was surprised Fox let Mark Gasnier go - he was their best caller along with Brandy. Guys like Anasta, Parker and Ennis are earnest but don't add much.
Also suprised they don't use Lara Pitt more - she is smart and tuned in. Not a huge fan of Vonnie as their main host.

What annoys me is the pre match show where Fox commentators doesn't even talk about our game and go straight into reviews of the second game, or another game they are interested in. All I need to do is wait 15 mins before the game to listen to DCE & Des for 2 mins and then go get a beer waiting for the start. Oh maybe watch them looking at the opposition team warm up.

I think a lot of the problem is that Fox sign up these guys as analysts then think they can turn them into commentators because they want to get more out of them for their $$
Cronk, Ennis and Parker are good as the pre/post match and h/t analysts but are being used and trained on the run as commentators.
9 only use Slater as an analyst and he’s good - he may have no desire to call games.
Guys like Ginnane just love the sound of their own voice, I could imagine him commentating and looking at himself in the mirror whilst coming his hair.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2