Collingwood supporter pulled out for racist remark

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Doesn't anybody think it is a little troubling that a high profile adult male footballer getting $500K or so a year called out a 13 year old schoolgirl into a national shaming & the police threw her apparently alone into the street? We all think that is all a positive?

Great insight. I take it you think Goodes should be reprimanded and put back in the zoo with the other apes.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Great insight. I take it you think Goodes should be reprimanded and put back in the zoo with the other apes.

Don't be ridiculous. All I am saying is that no one seems to have considered the effects of this national public shaming on a 13 year old schoolgirl's long term well being & even short term well being after being tossed into the street alone outside the MCG at night.

Goodes considered it. He said the girl shouldn't be blames, she is just an innocent.

Funny how so many people who 'don't condone racism' are keen to divert discussion away from racism and instead talk about… the media's agenda; unfair abuse of Snake; unfair heckling in general; letting kids go to the footy by themselves; etc etc .

But let's talk about all those things, they are far less confronting than racism.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Goodes considered it. He said the girl shouldn't be blames, she is just an innocent.

Funny how so many people who 'don't condone racism' are keen to divert discussion away from racism and instead talk about… the media's agenda; unfair abuse of Snake; unfair heckling in general; letting kids go to the footy by themselves; etc etc .

But let's talk about all those things, they are far less confronting than racism.

Except this time we're talking about a 13 year old girl. 13.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/girl-13-was-rude-but-shes-not-the-bully/story-e6frg6n6-1226650913020

Girl, 13, was rude, but she's not the bully
BY:ANDREW BOLT From: Herald Sun May 27, 2013 12:00AM

I DETEST racists. But the monstering of the Collingwood fan who shouted at Sydney footballer Adam Goodes is shameful.

She is just a 13-year-old who was at the football with her nan. She wasn't happy.

Collingwood was being thrashed and when the bearded Goodes took another possession in front of her, she shouted "ape".

This is very rude. I wonder at her parents. It's also possibly racist, though she insisted she didn't mean it that way. Whatever, she needed a talking-to.

Goodes heard the abuse, and pointed her out to security. A bit over the top, since she's so young, but Goodes has Aboriginal ancestry and no doubt understandably feels such insults more keenly than I think reasonable.

Still, he's widely admired, has been showered with almost every prize in footy, and was playing in the Indigenous Round honouring players of his background. What should one girl's abuse matter against all that?

Well, to Goodes it was so "shattering" the game itself "means nothing". No one in the TV commentary team, the police or the AFL seems to have dared treat it as any less catastrophic, no doubt for fear of seeming racist themselves.

I suspect the Indigenous Round also encouraged them to see the girl as a white racist caricature instead of just one very young teenager. So security marched her off, without even her Nan for support, as national TV beamed her face around the country.

Police then grilled her for nearly two hours - two hours! - even though she was immediately repentant. Bravely, she offered to apologise personally to Goodes.

Now get this: police then asked Goodes if he wanted to press charges. Press charges? Against a 13-year-old who was clearly sorry and scared for what she'd unthinkingly blurted out?

Are people insane?

Goodes, at least, drew the line at that. But still it wasn't over. Goodes and AFL chief Andrew Demetriou held a media conference next day at which Goodes declared: "Racism has a face. It's a 13-year-old girl."

Seriously? Goodes even said he felt like he was being bullied at school.

Excuse me, but in this confrontation - with Goodes, police, the media, the social media and the AFL on one side, and a 13-year-old girl on the other - it wasn't the girl who seemed the bully.

Perhaps Goodes realised, because he added: "She's 13, she's still so innocent. I don't put any blame on her."

No? Then why this public shaming?

Only later did Goodes take a call from the girl, who told him she was sorry. By then, the TV stations were rowing back a bit.

Replays of the incident belatedly blurred the girl's face, though she's since been named, and Channel 10 interviewed her saying how ashamed she was.

To repeat: This girl is only 13. This bullying of her is a scandal.

"Goodes heard the abuse, and pointed her out to security. A bit over the top, since she's so young, but Goodes has Aboriginal ancestry and no doubt understandably feels such insults more keenly than I think reasonable".
So was it understandable … or was it unreasonable?
Bolt contradicts himself - again. Of course the first contradiction was claiming to detest racism but then writing that disgusting article attacking Goodes.

Ps Bolt is a well-credentialed racist with a history of appealing to people's racist tendencies in order to advance his own career. His public resume includes denial of the stolen generation. On 28 September 2011 he was found by the Federal Court to have contravened section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
My opinion is yes try and stamp out racism by all means ......but this is a 13 year old girl ( perhaps from a disadvantaged background on face value) mouthing off at a millionaire footballer over a fence amongst a crowd of 80,000 people.

Is she the face of racism in this country...is she the proper target ??

Is what she did right....no. But for crying out loud she's a young kid, dragged out of a stadium on national TV.

Surely, despite how noble the cause is, Goodes must be a little embarrassed by the commotion surrounding the incident & he is rightfully trying to hose it down.

The Indian i agree with your view on this.

What will the AFL be able to say about this incident & their treatment of a 13 year old girl during their mental health R U OK round or the be kind to our children round?

AFL players have said far worse to each other than this 13 year old girl. When did they last stop an AFL game to have a racist calling AFL player marched out of the stadium & interviewed by police?

So whilst playing a game, Goodes is racially abused but has to stop, do an in depth interview of the person, decided upon what actions to take then do them.

As opposed to some bogan having a whole game or life to think about not racially abusing at all.

Goodes has been a class act all throughout this unfortunate incident.

bones said:
Is it racist to call Jarred Maxwell a horse-head, or Matthew Johns a chimp?

The RSPCA would have something to say about being derogatory to horses and chimps.

There are some excellent points in this topic.

Its sad that anyone who is only 13 has grown up with a racist opinion. Most likely developed in her home environment. I thought Australia was faring better that that in turning the tide and it was still essentially and older generation trait. My son is 8 and since he started school the cultural awareness from both schools he has attended has been first class. I would be very very surprised if any kids in his age group were racist without having a hate campaign from another influential source, most likely the home

I think its about time Australia grew up and threw away this hatred so I applaud the player.Kind of reminds me of the mundine and the doggies prop incident from years back

But what the hell was a 13yo at the footy by herself. It seems that the parenting skills woeful

Its a shame for the young girl to be so openly chastised but this happens in all walks of life. Lets hope she can learn from it and become a better person.

what the police did with this 13yo after she was let out to should be explored. Too wrongs dont make a right and unless she was detained until an adult arrived its a bad look on the social conscience and probably just as bad as the original offence

The Indian said:
My opinion is yes try and stamp out racism by all means ......but this is a 13 year old girl ( perhaps from a disadvantaged background on face value) mouthing off at a millionaire footballer over a fence amongst a crowd of 80,000 people.

Is she the face of racism in this country...is she the proper target ??

Is what she did right....no. But for crying out loud she's a young kid, dragged out of a stadium on national TV.

Surely, despite how noble the cause is, Goodes must be a little embarrassed by the commotion surrounding the incident & he is rightfully trying to hose it down.

We keep trotting out the "she is 13" line. This raises 2 questions

1 - what age must you be for it to be acceptable to take a stand against this type if behaviour

2 - does anyone sincerely believe Goodes knew her age, except for the fact she was a teenager?

Goodes has not demonised the girl and has in fact said she is a victim in this and needs help

Unfortunate incident all round. I think the witch hunt of a 13 year old isn't a good look, but neither are racist comments.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6