Coach of the year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Least deserving got it. Two GF coaches, two who took their teams from 15th and 16th to 5th and 6th. and the guy who's team went from grand finalist to losing both playoff games.
Yep. Give it to that guy.
Joke.
It’s based on the 25 rounds,lost 4 matches in that period by a combined total of less than 10,lost arguably the best fullback of all time and continues to bring through players that were nobodies at other clubs or players that go on to play rep footy

It’s based on the 25 rounds,lost 4 matches in that period by a combined total of less than 10,lost arguably the best fullback of all time and continues to bring through players that were nobodies at other clubs or players that go on to play rep footy
If you look at the coaches, there’s very little difference between Bellyache, Robinson, Dassler and Stuart. They are and have been the standout coaches over the last 15 years.

I don’t include Arthur in that list as I can’t see how you can go from ‘coach of the year’ to last the next year and Seibold is the same, but not last. None of the above have ever done that. Yes, they’ve missed the finals maybe once or twice, but never last. In fact, I don’t think Bellyache has ever missed the finals except for their cap issue years.

I wouldn’t swap Des for any coach especially as he is Manly through and through and he only left due to politics (Manly offered same money as Bulldogs) and was fed up.

It appears that if you coach your team to the minor premiership you get coach of the year , That shouldn’t be the case , if it is then you might as well name the team of the year from the team that wins the minor premiership
Hasler came in and turned Manly around , his coaching was the difference to the team this year , That is example of coach of the year .

Sure, but I'm suggesting that it shouldn't be. Would fans rather win the minor premiership with a stellar record or the Premiership? And then there's improvement in a team, getting players to punch above their weight, facilities, number of people on the coaching staff, access to a steady stream of junior players, etc.
It's a bit like who is the better mechanic, the guy working with a massive team on Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes or some bloke in Ashfield (he was a great guy) who can keep EK Holden keep running smoothly year in and out?

It appears that if you coach your team to the minor premiership you get coach of the year , That shouldn’t be the case , if it is then you might as well name the team of the year from the team that wins the minor premiership
Hasler came in and turned Manly around , his coaching was the difference to the team this year , That is example of coach of the year .
So, based on what I think you are saying is that Brad Arthur should have won coach of the year. Parra went from last to 5th. And therein lies the problem. They came last under his coaching the year before after Top 8 the year previous.

So, based on what I think you are saying is that Brad Arthur should have won coach of the year. Parra went from last to 5th. And therein lies the problem. They came last under his coaching the year before after Top 8 the year previous.
Not necessarily but I think if your team finishes with the minor premiership it’s almost a given
I was using Des as an example it’s more like what coach makes a difference, with Arthur his results differ with certain players in his team he doesn’t always gets the best out of his players ,where as Des had fairly the same squad as the previous year and made a difference
It’s not about going from last to making the finals

Coach of the year should have been between the Dalai and Des.

Both did extraordinary work.

I’m biased of course and feel that Des deserves it more because of the injury crises and how he bought so many plain old Reserve Graders in to fill spots and be a couple of games off playing on the GF.

Coach of the year shouldn’t just be between the coaches of whoever fills 1st and 2nd spot.

i can’t disagree with his win. He did obviously is a brilliant coach. Des did amazing things for us, Arthur did great things for the Eels and Robinson for the Chooks.

So, if bellyache offered to coach the Eagles, would you say no?

No

Whilst Des has a lot more resources than the last few years he is still short of the Bellyaches and Robinsons (who just said the coach whisperer is one of about 50 people who help him out)

Very similar to us, can't have one argument without supporting the other.

I don't understand people banging on about Arthur's performance in taking a team from a Wooden spoon to 6th ??? FMD he was the one who coached them to a wooden spoon last year !!!!

Des turned around a side he inherited from a clown, that ran second last and looked woeful - he transformed them into a premiership threat within a season with minimal change in roster and a not insignificant injury toll. That performance by Des $hits all over the Dalai's - not even in same ballpark
Actually that's a brilliant point, and one I wasn't taking into consideration. As to be honest I was thinking Arthur or Des. But when you stack it up as to him being their coach (and for a few seasons), and Des inheriting a 2nd last place from a pretty boy who just wanted excuses as to why we lost.....it really becomes a no-contest.

I do think Bellamy deserves credit, he is obviously doing something right. But what Des has done is nothing short of remarkable. And when you add in performances without Turbo (and Sirro and Thomo) at the back end of the year.....even more amazing.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6