Coach needs to exert his power when appropriate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

tookey

First Grader
VETERAN coach Wayne Bennett walked back into the Brisbane Broncos this week and showed the fans and his own board that he was the boss.

Bennett declared immediately he wanted Darius Boyd and Russell Packer at the club next season.

A coach has to be given the side and staff he wants – if it fails then he has no one but himself to blame.

And now after three finals appearances as NRL coach, Toovey has earned the right to do the same as Bennett at a club where he has filled three vital roles – as player, captain and now coach.

For the past decade of excellence and for the previous four decades, Manly have thrived under powerful coaches who rightly ran the football operations.

A small section of the board in the last six-to-nine months have started to want to be involved in football-related issues.

Toovey has to be strong enough to tell one in particular, to go jump. He will have the support of the majority of the board and the chairman if he does.

A director came up to Glenn Stewart after last Saturday’s elimination final loss to the Bulldogs and thanked him for his long service to the club.

It was the same bloke who phoned Geoff Toovey saying he wouldn’t support the retention of Gifty. That call has led to months of angst among the close-knit senior players at Manly.

Stewart knows the man isn’t a supporter of his and showed great dignity in how he handled the situation.

THE decision on Anthony Watmough’s future at Manly rests squarely with the coach – as it should be.

I think it would be a shame if the Narrabeen junior didn’t become the third player in the history of the club to play 300 first grade games.

If anyone should be a one-club player it is Choc, who is already a life member.

Toovey is aware he has to move quickly to shore up players who finish contracts next season.

Players need reassurances that the club is heading in the right direction.

The place to start is by showing them he is the boss and that football-related matters are decided by him.

THE annual Sea Eagles reunion next Friday at Manly Leagues Club seems certain to attract record numbers.

This follows a decision to welcome members of the newly formed Golden Eagles Association to the reunion.

The brainchild of former premiership-winning forwards Mark Bryant and Josh Perry has already attracted 200 members and has Ken Arthurson and Steve Menzies as co patrons.

The Golden Eagles is using the highly successful Newcastle Old Boys Association as its mantra. The group is keen to support the Manly Junior League.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/coach-needs-to-exert-his-power-when-appropiate/story-fngr8iii-1227071861204

So the board member with a newspaper column gets to publish this in the manly daily. Whether it is true or not I don't care, it should be behind closed doors. Tell tooves he has the support. Why tell the readers? Tell him direct.

Apparently fatso and tooves had a massive argument at the last board meeting.
Since then our favourite gossip girl journo rothgoose has told tooves he would ruin his career.

Since then there's been several digs at Toovey by rothfield including yesterday's (almost every Sunday) and this gem by fatso's other mate Adam Lucuis aka the lurker.

"Hasler splits Sea Eagle opinion
Des Hasler’s appearance in the Manly dressing room on Saturday night didn’t go down well with all his former players.
One was overheard saying “What’s he doing in here?” within hearing range of the Bulldogs coach.
Still, we’re hearing there are section of the Manly board who eventually want Hasler back at Brookvale.
If the Penn family had control of the seven-man board he’d be back tomorrow.
Hasler has always been a figure capable of polarising people but with some at Manly, he remains a favourite son. "

So this is a Zorba article is it? Only reason I ask because there is no name attributed to it. I can't believe its come to this but he is almost the no 1 person I'd like to meet a Sea Eagle association because of what I really want to say to him Thats really sad because of all the greats I'd just like to meet but what he's doing is just making me so angry, acting like the club is a place for him to run his own agendas.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8