Clubs are all over our juniors

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Stewbojevic

Reserve Grader
It looks like our successful pathways program has become a feasting ground for other clubs. We are starting to lose a few good prospects.

Feledy (Tigers), Dunford (Raiders), Sione Fainu rumoured to the Tigers.

I guess that’s what happens when you produce a lot of quality, but it’s annoying to see.

Manly is probably paying overs for the brothers just to keep the 5/8 fainu its a lot of eggs in 1 basket. The tigers could end up with the 5/8 fainu and feledy and manly with egg on their face. At least we held onto the speedster Koula.

Last edited:
It looks like our successful pathways program has become a feasting ground for other clubs. We are starting to lose a few good prospects.

Feledy (Tigers), Dunford (Raiders), Sione Fainu rumoured to the Tigers.

I guess that’s what happens when you produce a lot of quality, but it’s annoying to see.
Let’s not forget that many of these talented prospects were once another club’s talented juniors, lured across to Manly at a tender age.

The thing is, the pathways is proving a Massive success....the fact we have so many quality players coming through and being chased by other NRL teams is a compliment and a position other clubs would envy.
I mean we have first shot at "WHO" we keep so lets make no mistake there....as in Latu Fainu who is tied up long term, we got Schu and Guoc and then we have Koula, Weeks, Tuivake, Tong and many more.....
The player who I had hopes for was Feledy a potential gun centre, but he has been offered more money and opportunities at Tigers...especially seeing Koula is a likely long term centre option at Manly and it comes down to Manly not only producing great young players, but having "First option" on most players.
We can't keep them all, but more often than not, will get first choice of who stays at Manly from our own production line, a great position to be in really.

If nothing else I hope the success of our pathways program cements recruitment appreciation of junior talent, rather than paying overs for imports. We don't need to sign proven, yet expensive, players from other clubs.
I think this rationale must have sunk in because this season we only signed Bully, who was on the first rung of NRL exposure. Our recruitment was the most 'conservative' of any NRL club.
When you look through our team there are very few players who we recruited as proven NRL players: Kapow and Walker are the only two I can think of. We picked up Saab and Harpo who had played at least one NRL match but the others were all reserve graders or in a lesser grade when we pounced.
I believe we will continue to be successful if we stick to this 'conservative' strategy.

T
If nothing else I hope the success of our pathways program cements recruitment appreciation of junior talent, rather than paying overs for imports. We don't need to sign proven, yet expensive, players from other clubs.
I think this rationale must have sunk in because this season we only signed Bully, who was on the first rung of NRL exposure. Our recruitment was the most 'conservative' of any NRL club.
When you look through our team there are very few players who we recruited as proven NRL players: Kapow and Walker are the only two I can think of. We picked up Saab and Harpo who had played at least one NRL match but the others were all reserve graders or in a lesser grade when we pounced.
I believe we will continue to be successful if we stick to this 'conservative' strategy
Totally agree and you have a better chance of keeping players for slightly unders or not paying overs,when they come through the junior ranks.You’ll lose a couple here and there,like Penrith have in recent times but they’ve got at least 2 GF appearances and 1 Premiership out of their method,so it’s a winning formula

All it gives us is first crack at them and hopefully with our inside knowledge of them we'll be able to pick the best one of the crop and then that one will go nowhere.

Sheens is raiding us and we'll have to nail down whoever we want to stay. It's tough though cause we are in a premiership window right now and can't release the "bird in the hand" for " two in the bush".

tricky times.....usually we have so few quality juniors we aren't faced with this 'opportunity cost' type dilemma.

T

Totally agree and you have a better chance of keeping players for slightly unders or not paying overs,when they come through the junior ranks.You’ll lose a couple here and there,like Penrith have in recent times but they’ve got at least 2 GF appearances and 1 Premiership out of their method,so it’s a winning formula
Having young talent in your junior system is a massive advantage. Of course it is all for nought if you are not providing a good footy education and an enjoyable environment. And of course you'll still have to pay them market value if they make the grade.

But you get to see them day in and day out and are in pole position to assess their true value and potential. And for the player, they get to see if they like the club culture and environment. If you are making friends, getting good off-field support, getting skilled footy development opportunities, then it becomes a matter of, Why leave? Other clubs have to make a pretty big play to lure you away. And if it is someone we have ear-marked as 'must keep', then we've already had a chance to lock them up on a long deal, or at very least we'd get a chance to mount a counter offer.

Manly's done well with the same strategy: Saab, Garrick, Harper, Paseka, Croker, Tafua, Sipley and Keppie all came from the lower grades at other clubs. Tuipolotu, Davey, Bullemor, Lawton all played limited first grade at other outfits (Lawton mainly through injury at Titans / Warriors). Only Walker and Aloiai played a fair few games for other clubs before Manly.

Last edited:
Having young talent in your junior system is a massive advantage. Of course it is all for nought if you are not providing a good footy education and an enjoyable environment. And of course you'll still have to pay them market value if they make the grade.

But you get to see them day in and day out and are in pole position to assess their true value and potential. And for the player, they get to see if they like the club culture and environment. If you are making friends, getting good off-field support, getting skilled footy development opportunities, then it becomes a matter of, Why leave? Other clubs have to make a pretty big play to lure you away. And if it is someone we have ear-marked as 'must keep', then we've already had a chance to lock them up on a long deal, or at very least we'd get a chance to mount a counter offer.
Or, if you're Parramatta or the Tigers, keep the wrong ones, and watch others go on to big things elsewhere.

Uncle Nick was at Rebel Sports last week and brought 12 sets of golf clubs, we are bound to have a few kids that have always dreamed about winning a premiership in the red, white & blue.

Inevitable. Our junior talent is up there with Penrith, Roosters. We are blessed with Scotty's eye for young talent, the production line will keep going, and I trust the club to keep the right ones.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8