Club statement?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

niccipops

un echidna spillo mia bevanda
Premium Member
As everything is controlled by media hype I think it would be a wise move for the Manly club to make an official statement apologising for the club's role in the Friday night debabcle.

This can only be seen as a positive for the Sea Eagles. Both Manly and storm have a bad relationship with Gallop and the NRL in general. Melbourne have already issued a statement. I really think Manly should do the same.
It's all about media perception these days. It won't change the NRL's stance on what happened but I think it needs to be done.

Also if criminal references were made by Blair about Brett Stewart, this needs to be part of the investigation.

I dont think thats a bad idea but to be honest the damage has been done. I think what we saw on Friday night is a result of 2 and half years of anger being released by the Stewart boys. You cant blame them one bit as they have had to endure endless negative press from the hacks.

I think it also has to be said that the NRL's failure to reign in the dirty tactics of the drizzle has contributed to this as well. Grappling and wrestling must be stamped out of the game and I would love to see a simple rule put in place that once a tackle is completed and the tackled player is still, a 5 second rule should be used and if they player is still held after that, its an immediate penalty.

I agree the damage is well and truly done but playing a bit of the media game can only help.
Just needs to be something simple stating that the club is regretful for their part in the fighting. That's all.

At least if Blair did say it then we could at least gain some sympathy from the wider public, as opposed to the media. If it was said though, you would think that it would already be out there as it would only benefit the club's stance

niccipops said:
As everything is controlled by media hype I think it would be a wise move for the Manly club to make an official statement apologising for the club's role in the Friday night debabcle.

What role? Any apology we make will only be used against us anyway. The incident has already been blown out of all proportion, no point adding to the hot air. Fingers crossed in a few days the dust will have settled and appropriate penalties can be issued.

Best case scenario - a big brawl in Rabbits v Broncos, with Locky involved!!

Everything is always used against us but I reckon there's no harm in pulling a KRudd and saying sorry.

A lot of harm can come from it.
An apology is an admission of guilt.

We are guilty of nothing. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a weak minded fool that lets the media do their thinking because it spoon feeds them the propaganda they want to hear.

Remember what happened when we apologised for our season launch in 2009 and gave the NRL our internal club report on the incident ?? Admit nothing !

• 👍
Reactions: God
Its a silly idea for the club to make a statement before the judiciary have handed down their charges.

Take a leaf out of Gallops book. Somestimes saying sorry isn't beneficial to your cause when it comes to defense. Sorry admits guilt.

Admit nothing. It was the Storm who started the whole thing, coupled with weakness from the refs. They should have just blown a penalty, separated the guys and got on with the game. No need for any ten minute stuff.

DSM5 said:
Admit nothing. It was the Storm who started the whole thing, coupled with weakness from the refs. They should have just blown a penalty, separated the guys and got on with the game. No need for any ten minute stuff.

Totally agree DSM5...

Maybe the thing to do is that after the possible suspensions and fines happen the club should publicly accept it and say they're moving on to the finals. Be the bigger person and not fight or whinge around.
Everyone's expecting us to cry about it so let's do the opposite. It'll give the media and opposition fans nothing to work with, though they'll always find something to say we're whingers. Sure the siege mentality works, but let's do it quietly and internally. Let everyone focus on the fight, we'll work on winning the GF.

Settle peeps. It was just a suggestion. There's been some very plausible posts about the impacts of saying sorry I can certainly see that angle. I just believe it's in Manly's best interest to promote as positive as possible image at the moment.
I think eggson's suggestion of laying low and copping it on the chin makes a lot of sense.
Manly can bounce back from this.

Beacause there's no such thing as being the bigger man. It's a load of positive thinking crap.
If you don't get your view out there, no one else will look for it. They'll just take your silence as you admitting you've got nothing to say because there is nothing you can say in your defence.
At least it you whinge & bitch you can make points that at least some people will understand. It also gives you a record to go back to in the future. If Manly doesn't defend their actions, this incident can be used as ammo against us the next time crap is thrown our way. If we at least put it out there that we are being attacked, that defence can be used to keep future attacks on track and not have them blown out of proportion by this being added.

I'd be appealing any suspensions or fines. Get on the front foot, blame the Storm and the weakness of the refs and go for it. We are Manly and don't take a back step. Nothing to lose.

Duff said:

We are guilty of nothing. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a weak minded fool that lets the media do their thinking because it spoon feeds them the propaganda they want to hear.

Exactly right Duff. The media wanted this, they provoked it all last week with their stories and stirring up fans etc. They got what they wanted and now they cry crocodile tears over it all. Be silent, say nothing till the NRL ask you and **** the media. Most notabley that giant goose Hadley.

Duff said:

DSM5 said:
I'd be appealing any suspensions or fines. Get on the front foot, blame the Storm and the weakness of the refs and go for it. We are Manly and don't take a back step. Nothing to lose.

100% agree. Hopefully Dave Perry isn't as weak as Meyer was. He accepted the NRL's fine without complaints. We need to argue this and don't worry about getting the whinging tag...we already have it, people don't like us and they never will.

This is just the whole "Lockyer's perfect farewell" BS that I expected.

mickqld said:
Duff said:

Exactly right Duff. The media wanted this, they provoked it all last week with their stories and stirring up fans etc. They got what they wanted and now they cry crocodile tears over it all. Be silent, say nothing till the NRL ask you and f**k the media. Most notabley that giant goose Hadley.

Duff said:

Agree as well. We have nothing to apologise for and we don't have to explain ourselves to anyone but the NRL and the match review committee, not Hadley, not TK not anyone else that thinks they have a right to say something.

It will be interesting to see what Fatty has to say, will he stand by us this time, or will he throw us to the kerb again?

DSM5 said:

+1

Good idea fellahs. Don't admit anything, if people keep asking about it we just say "What fight?" or are we going to try the "Hey, it wasn't me" defence and nothing will happen. Real leadership is about taking responsibility, not pointing the finger as someone else.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7